The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayofsunshine98
I just want to sleep 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same 😭😭😭😭
I bumped into the Oxbridge co-ordinator and he sat down with me. He asked how I was and I said that I've been better and been worse. I said I'm getting good grades in two subjects and feeling unconfident with English lit and he told me I'm on the right track if I'm only feeling wobbly for that. :redface: I wish I could believe that and take confidence in it :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I bumped into the Oxbridge co-ordinator and he sat down with me. He asked how I was and I said that I've been better and been worse. I said I'm getting good grades in two subjects and feeling unconfident with English lit and he told me I'm on the right track if I'm only feeling wobbly for that. :redface: I wish I could believe that and take confidence in it :tongue:

That's really good :smile: I would say believe in yourself but then I sound like a hypocrite. I got my first A of the year in chem today :smile: our Oxbridge coordinator is my tutor and he just likes to run Cambridge down (he went to Oxford). And none of my teachers get it either. I'm wobbly on maths because we've had a rubbish teacher since October (although his replacement starts tomorrow and I've heard good things) and my grades plummeted. And in chem I can't remember like half of the content, particularly inorganic chem, and in bio I just don't seem to be able to word my answers correctly. But last year it came together in like early May, so I'm hoping the same again. Although we have mocks the week after the holidays (we finish on Friday) and I had an awful week of it last year (a U in chem and an E in bio so better than that would be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's really good :smile: I would say believe in yourself but then I sound like a hypocrite. I got my first A of the year in chem today :smile: our Oxbridge coordinator is my tutor and he just likes to run Cambridge down (he went to Oxford). And none of my teachers get it either. I'm wobbly on maths because we've had a rubbish teacher since October (although his replacement starts tomorrow and I've heard good things) and my grades plummeted. And in chem I can't remember like half of the content, particularly inorganic chem, and in bio I just don't seem to be able to word my answers correctly. But last year it came together in like early May, so I'm hoping the same again. Although we have mocks the week after the holidays (we finish on Friday) and I had an awful week of it last year (a U in chem and an E in bio so better than that would be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woo I'm proud! Go ray go :biggrin: I got another A* today :redface: for English language
Woo I'm proud! Go ray go :biggrin: I got another A* today :redface: for English language

Well done that's really good! Hopefully the elusive A* will start appearing for me soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done that's really good! Hopefully the elusive A* will start appearing for me soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so too! I used my notes so I get scared that it doesn't count or something and then I spiral into a I CANT REALLY DO IT :frown:
our Oxbridge coordinator is my tutor and he just likes to run Cambridge down (he went to Oxford).

Sounds like he's bitter for not being good for Cambridge. :wink:
Original post by Zacken

:lol:
Ugh I've completely lost confidence in maths 😢 this time last year I was going through past papers and improving loads but now I feel like no matter how many I do I'm just not getting anywhere
Original post by Steliata
Ugh I've completely lost confidence in maths 😢 this time last year I was going through past papers and improving loads but now I feel like no matter how many I do I'm just not getting anywhere

I had the saaaaame thing coming up to my A2s. Keep going, you'll get there! If you don't have it, I would totally recommend the CGP A-Level guide, it helped me a ton.
Original post by Paralove
I had the saaaaame thing coming up to my A2s. Keep going, you'll get there! If you don't have it, I would totally recommend the CGP A-Level guide, it helped me a ton.

I think we're all having confidence issues :frown: Any tips?

Thanks, I'll try my best. Would you recommend keeping on with just doing past papers or are there any other ways to improve my understanding of the maths?
I think we're all having confidence issues :frown: Any tips?

If I remember correctly, A2 exams are almost always after the May holiday, no? In which case, you have a LOT of time. I don't think I need to give you lot any revision tips, as I'm sure you've heard them all by now. Don't panic. It helps nothing - and this is coming from a serial panicker aha. You WILL do great in your exams - when it comes round to them, know you're going in with the best preparation (which you will, whether you believe that or not).

A2 exams are supposed to be hard, so don't feel bad if you're struggling. It's only *just* April. Know what you've got to learn, and revise in the way that works best for you - for me, this was posters and flashcards. If you're still struggling with any concepts, try to work over them over the Easter break, or ask a teacher for help - it's what they're there for! I don't know when you all break up - I'm currently in Spain aha. Oh and also, if you get the hard things out the way first you won't be stressing about the fact you're in denial over it.

I know it can feel horrible with the pressure of an offer hanging over your head but try not to think about that (easier said than done I know!).

And most importantly - TAKE TIME OFF. You will not perform at your best if you've burnt yourself out. I had to learn that the hard way at uni and trust me, it's something you want to learn quickly. Learn to recognise signs of stress - for me, as an example, I clench my jaw/get backache if I'm stressed out. And not only take time off, but don't feel guilty for doing it. It'll leave you SO much more refreshed and ready to work again afterwards. You don't have to lock yourself away for weeks. Have that netflix marathon if you want to one evening. Go for food with your friends. Go visit family. It's okay.

You're all going to do so well guys!
Thanks, I'll try my best. Would you recommend keeping on with just doing past papers or are there any other ways to improve my understanding of the maths?

I struggled a hella lot with C3 and C4. Past papers are great but it's still fairly early. I always started off by working through them with a markscheme with me - I would try, if I really struggled then I'd work through it with the scheme. I had to really see how it was doing it and understanding, and found textbook work really helpful for some things because I could just practice that one thing over and over again until I got it. See if your teachers can recommend any sites or places where you can find exercises like that. It's repetitive but with maths it's so much about practice imo.

I got an A* in maths last year without using anything apart from past papers and lessons/hw. I highly recommend doing all the madas maths c3/c4 papers they're really good
Original post by k.russell
I got an A* in maths last year without using anything apart from past papers and lessons/hw. I highly recommend doing all the madas maths c3/c4 papers they're really good

Also the Solomon papers. Do those well and there shouldn't be any surprises in C3 and C4.
I struggled a hella lot with C3 and C4. Past papers are great but it's still fairly early. I always started off by working through them with a markscheme with me - I would try, if I really struggled then I'd work through it with the scheme. I had to really see how it was doing it and understanding, and found textbook work really helpful for some things because I could just practice that one thing over and over again until I got it. See if your teachers can recommend any sites or places where you can find exercises like that. It's repetitive but with maths it's so much about practice imo.

Original post by k.russell

Original post by NeverLucky
Also the Solomon papers. Do those well and there shouldn't be any surprises in C3 and C4.

Thanks for the advice everyone 😊 I've started Solomons for C3 but C4 isn't going in as well. So I'm going to do some more targeted work on my weaknesses and the stuff we've done recently, and then tackle the past papers/Solomons again.
If I remember correctly, A2 exams are almost always after the May holiday, no? In which case, you have a LOT of time. I don't think I need to give you lot any revision tips, as I'm sure you've heard them all by now. Don't panic. It helps nothing - and this is coming from a serial panicker aha. You WILL do great in your exams - when it comes round to them, know you're going in with the best preparation (which you will, whether you believe that or not).

A2 exams are supposed to be hard, so don't feel bad if you're struggling. It's only *just* April. Know what you've got to learn, and revise in the way that works best for you - for me, this was posters and flashcards. If you're still struggling with any concepts, try to work over them over the Easter break, or ask a teacher for help - it's what they're there for! I don't know when you all break up - I'm currently in Spain aha. Oh and also, if you get the hard things out the way first you won't be stressing about the fact you're in denial over it.

I know it can feel horrible with the pressure of an offer hanging over your head but try not to think about that (easier said than done I know!).

And most importantly - TAKE TIME OFF. You will not perform at your best if you've burnt yourself out. I had to learn that the hard way at uni and trust me, it's something you want to learn quickly. Learn to recognise signs of stress - for me, as an example, I clench my jaw/get backache if I'm stressed out. And not only take time off, but don't feel guilty for doing it. It'll leave you SO much more refreshed and ready to work again afterwards. You don't have to lock yourself away for weeks. Have that netflix marathon if you want to one evening. Go for food with your friends. Go visit family. It's okay.

You're all going to do so well guys!

Thanks. This really helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope so too! I used my notes so I get scared that it doesn't count or something and then I spiral into a I CANT REALLY DO IT :frown:

That's exactly what I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Nope he is just too much of a snob 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending