The Student Room Group

GCSE vs IGCSE

I just moved to Uk from Vietnam. In Vietnam I did IGCSE and pass IGCSE combine science and got a B. When I come to UK, i have to do core science and additional science. Just wondering if an IGCSE count as one GCSE. I need to know so i can I can determine how many gcse i can get for sixth form collage.
Reply 1
Original post by sonto186
I just moved to Uk from Vietnam. In Vietnam I did IGCSE and pass IGCSE combine science and got a B. When I come to UK, i have to do core science and additional science. Just wondering if an IGCSE count as one GCSE. I need to know so i can I can determine how many gcse i can get for sixth form collage.

One IGCSE = one GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
One IGCSE = one GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for example if i past 5 gcse in total including both science additional and science core. Then plus the IGCSE that i past before, i got 6 gcse in total ?
Reply 3
So for example if i past 5 gcse in total including both science additional and science core. Then plus the IGCSE that i past before, i got 6 gcse in total ?

Yes. Although I'm not sure if your IGCSE combined science is just doubling up with GCSE core science...

Tagging some folks who might know: @Compost @Muttley79 @gdunne42

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes. Although I'm not sure if your IGCSE combined science is just doubling up with GCSE core science...

Tagging some folks who might know: @Compost @Muttley79 @gdunne42e

The majority of colleges, universities etc would not let you count all 3, but it's always worth asking specific places if you're thinking of applying there.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
The majority of colleges, universities etc would not let you count all 3, but it's always worth asking specific places if you're thinking of applying there.

So if i past one gcse science and pass the other one in my gcse exam, does it still count that as 2 then
Reply 6
So if i past one gcse science and pass the other one in my gcse exam, does it still count that as 2 then

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

So for example, if I pass my gcse core science and pass additional. I got 1 gcse subject. But if i include my past IGCSE combine science, do i get 2 gcse in total then. tks for reply!
Reply 8
So for example, if I pass my gcse core science and pass additional. I got 1 gcse subject. But if i include my past IGCSE combine science, do i get 2 gcse in total then. tks for reply!

Core Science is 1 GCSE
Additional Science is another GCSE

Core + Additional = 2 GCSEs

The potential issue is that IGCSE combined science overlaps with the above GCSEs so might not be counted as another GCSE.
Yes - you only get max two GCSEs out of what you are taking. You'd need to be taking Further Additional or triple science for it to be 3 GCSEs. Sorry for delay I've been away on our Easter break.
I did core science as a GCSE and got an A, then I swapped schools and did IGCSE Biology and got an A* and IGCSE Chemistry and got an B... it was counted as three GCSEs for me, all my university choices recognised that I had three GCSEs for science subjects so I don't see why it wouldnt be dfferent for you :smile:
Well I just found out I signed up for further additional science. In my school they only refer to it as triple science to make it seem less intimidating D;
Reply 12
Original post by 08graya
I did core science as a GCSE and got an A, then I swapped schools and did IGCSE Biology and got an A* and IGCSE Chemistry and got an B... it was counted as three GCSEs for me, all my university choices recognised that I had three GCSEs for science subjects so I don't see why it wouldnt be dfferent for you :smile:

I suspect that is a different scenario to the OPs. @Muttley79 can probably confirm :smile:
Original post by 08graya

iGCSE Biology includes one paper of core science as does iGCSE Chemistry - the school DfE data would call this 2 science GCSEs because of the overlap.
Perhaps the unis decided differently? It is a different scenario to that of the OP.
Original post by RandomStudent_
Well I just found out I signed up for further additional science. In my school they only refer to it as triple science to make it seem less intimidating D;

It involves exactly the same exams as taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs but distributed in a different way.
Original post by Compost
It involves exactly the same exams as taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs but distributed in a different way.

From what I've heard in my school, I have to take 3 papers for each science. I think it's Paper 2, Paper 4 and Paper 6. I'm not too sure how they distribute it in further additional science, but it would be great to know! Thanks for clarifying.
Original post by RandomStudent_
From what I've heard in my school, I have to take 3 papers for each science. I think it's Paper 2, Paper 4 and Paper 6. I'm not too sure how they distribute it in further additional science, but it would be great to know! Thanks for clarifying.

I don't know which board you are doing but this pretty much holds for all of them. If you think of each Science being made up of 4 equal parts: 3 papers - e.g. for Biology is it Biology 1, Biology 2 and Biology 3, plus the controlled assessment. You can either repeat that for the other 2 Science to make Biology, Chemistry and Physics, or you can have Science made up of Biology 1, Chemistry 1 and Physics 1, plus some controlled assessment, Additional Science made up of B2, C2 and P2 plus some different controlled assessment and then Further Add Science made up of B3, C3 and P3 plus some more controlled assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest