The Student Room Group

Drama societies

Hello all. I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge in the Autumn Term. I'm in the process of doing college research, and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me a bit more about drama societies at Cambridge. I appreciate that the university in general is renowned for its dramatic opportunities for students, but are there any specific colleges which have a particularly good reputation for theatre? It's fairly hard to tell just from websites. Thank you! :smile:
As a caveat, I did various bits and pieces around drama in Cam but it was never something I was massively involved in.
In terms of particular colleges, I recall Pembroke Players putting on a huge amount of generally very good stuff but for the vast majority of, if not all, societies you don't need to be a member of the college they're based in to take part in their performances. As you say, there's also a huge amount of theatre going on across the wider university, too, with CUADC and the Marlowe Society in particular springing to mind.
CamDram is an excellent way to take a look at what's going on and where, and what roles are being recruited for, so is well worth having a poke around :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kizza12
Hello all. I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge in the Autumn Term. I'm in the process of doing college research, and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me a bit more about drama societies at Cambridge. I appreciate that the university in general is renowned for its dramatic opportunities for students, but are there any specific colleges which have a particularly good reputation for theatre? It's fairly hard to tell just from websites. Thank you! :smile:

Pembroke.
Downing.
Corpus.
Selwyn.
In different ways.

But theatre is central and available to every college.

And the social life attached to drama in Cambridge is really good.
So you have picked an excellent way to spend your non-studying time. :smile:
Original post by radarmaker
As a caveat, I did various bits and pieces around drama in Cam but it was never something I was massively involved in.
In terms of particular colleges, I recall Pembroke Players putting on a huge amount of generally very good stuff but for the vast majority of, if not all, societies you don't need to be a member of the college they're based in to take part in their performances. As you say, there's also a huge amount of theatre going on across the wider university, too, with CUADC and the Marlowe Society in particular springing to mind.
CamDram is an excellent way to take a look at what's going on and where, and what roles are being recruited for, so is well worth having a poke around :smile:

Hi, is it possible to join the Pembroke Players if you don't go to Pembroke then?
Original post by questionasker21
Hi, is it possible to join the Pembroke Players if you don't go to Pembroke then?

Ask directly.
https://www.pembrokeplayers.co.uk

But bear in mind, also, about 20-25% of successful applicants are pooled to a different college gah which they originally applied to.
And many colleges do have either their own drama society or a joint one with other colleges. And every college has their own theatre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending