The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blehxxx
@BrasenoseAdm
Do people who have applied for a scholarship also need to fill out a financial declaration form? Also, does anything we say in our scholarship application affect our offer? In the sense that in my scholarship application I might have mentioned how important receiving a scholarship and my only other source of funding is a student loan, does this affect my offer or the way I should fill out my financial declaration form in anyway?Also, when exactly will we receive this financial declaration form to fill? Do only those people who have accepted Oxford's offer get it? Do people holding unconditional offers receive it too? Also by when do we need to fill the financial declaration form and submit it back?
Thank you in advance.

Hello blehxxx,

Yes, all incoming undergraduates will need to fill out and return a Financial Declaration form to their college, scholarship or not. Exactly how you fill out and return the form is dependent on your 'Fee Status'.

If you a Home or EU student studying for your first degree then it is fairly simple - all you need to do is state whether or not you are taking out a Tuition Fee Loan, and if not then you need to say where that money is coming from (eg, scholarship, parents, savings, etc). You do not need to provide any evidence.

If you are an Overseas student, or studying for a second degree, then you need to provide a breakdown of how you intend to cover your first year of Tuition Fees, along with supporting documentation to evidence this. If you are to receive a scholarship of at least the value of the fees then proof of this should suffice. If you have not yet been granted the scholarship but have applied for it this, unfortunately, will not suffice as evidence.

We do not think that anything you say in a scholarship application would affect your offer. However, if you had omitted academic information in your UCAS application which is mentioned in your scholarship application, this could be misrepresentation, which can lead to your offer being revoked. Otherwise your UCAS offer is binding. Nothing you say in your Financial Declaration is used academically - only by the relevant financial staff.

For your remaining questions, it all depends on your College. At Brasenose we send Declarations to all offer holders (unconditional, insurance, not-yet-replied included) in March or April, with a deadline to return it of July 31st. A letter will accompany the form to explain how to fill it out - it is less scary than it sounds!

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello blehxxx,

Yes, all incoming undergraduates will need to fill out and return a Financial Declaration form to their college, scholarship or not. Exactly how you fill out and return the form is dependent on your 'Fee Status'.

If you a Home or EU student studying for your first degree then it is fairly simple - all you need to do is state whether or not you are taking out a Tuition Fee Loan, and if not then you need to say where that money is coming from (eg, scholarship, parents, savings, etc). You do not need to provide any evidence.

If you are an Overseas student, or studying for a second degree, then you need to provide a breakdown of how you intend to cover your first year of Tuition Fees, along with supporting documentation to evidence this. If you are to receive a scholarship of at least the value of the fees then proof of this should suffice. If you have not yet been granted the scholarship but have applied for it this, unfortunately, will not suffice as evidence.

We do not think that anything you say in a scholarship application would affect your offer. However, if you had omitted academic information in your UCAS application which is mentioned in your scholarship application, this could be misrepresentation, which can lead to your offer being revoked. Otherwise your UCAS offer is binding. Nothing you say in your Financial Declaration is used academically - only by the relevant financial staff.

For your remaining questions, it all depends on your College. At Brasenose we send Declarations to all offer holders (unconditional, insurance, not-yet-replied included) in March or April, with a deadline to return it of July 31st. A letter will accompany the form to explain how to fill it out - it is less scary than it sounds!

Brasenose Admissions

Thanks a lot!!
Hey everyone! It's definitely getting quiet round here...

Just wondering, does anyone have a rough idea of the date we will need to be in Oxford for? I had quick look at the term dates, says term starts on 8th October. We won't need to be there any sooner that the start of October, right?

Trying to plan some travelling this summer :smile:

Thanks!
Hey guys,
I have recently received my feedback letter, which literally gave me no personal feedback whatsoever, apart from "she had one good, and one slightly weaker interview at St. Anne's"

Is this the standard reply to everyone or is there nothing they can say about me? Did I just not catch their eye?
Original post by felecita
Hey everyone! It's definitely getting quiet round here...

Just wondering, does anyone have a rough idea of the date we will need to be in Oxford for? I had quick look at the term dates, says term starts on 8th October. We won't need to be there any sooner that the start of October, right?

Trying to plan some travelling this summer :smile:

Thanks!

Freshers have to be in residence from some point in 0th week (which might include Sunday 1st October), but the exact day varies from college to college. For example, in 2016, Ch Ch freshers started on the Sunday, Magdalen on the Monday, and New on the Tuesday. I've never heard of any college requiring arrival before 0th week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OxFossil
Freshers have to be in residence from some point in 0th week (which might include Sunday 1st October), but the exact day varies from college to college. For example, in 2016, Ch Ch freshers started on the Sunday, Magdalen on the Monday, and New on the Tuesday. I've never heard of any college requiring arrival before 0th week.

Thank you!
Which scholarships are people applying for?
@BrasenoseAdm
I lready met part of my offer by sitting an A Level early as was required to send proof. I mistook the date I had to send in my certificates by April 1. I sent it as soon as I realised but was still 3 weeks late. Will this jeorpadise my offer??
Original post by Oktokki
Hey guys,
I have recently received my feedback letter, which literally gave me no personal feedback whatsoever, apart from "she had one good, and one slightly weaker interview at St. Anne's"

Is this the standard reply to everyone or is there nothing they can say about me? Did I just not catch their eye?

Feedback tends to vague more often than not, especially with Oxford. Cambridge is said to be less so. I don't think it's especially unusual, in fact, it's probably more uncommon to get a very detailed feedback and eg interview scores.

You could email them adding that you're thinking of reapplying (if that's the case?) and that you'd be very grateful if there was any more information they could provide but that you understand that they are busy etc. I didn't get any feedback on mine the first time and asking via email (kindly on a few occasions) gave me a general FOI (with what 'measures' they look at in interviews), submitted work and audition scores, some info on how they look at the process/measure different things. No interview feedback but still, much better than before asking!

What did you apply for btw? (If it's a popular subject (esp at popular college) they're more likely to have more applicants and ergo less time for feedback requests)
@BrasenoseAdm Hello. Are you able to provide details about how many psychology offers you gave out this year? I was just wondering if I was the only one not reallocated to another college.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
@BrasenoseAdm Hello. Are you able to provide details about how many psychology offers you gave out this year? I was just wondering if I was the only one not reallocated to another college.

We made four Brasenose conditional offers and are also underwriting a fifth Open Offer. In addition, five further applicants received offers from other colleges (Queen's, Corpus Christi, St Edmund's "Teddy" Hall, St Anne's, and Somerville).
We made four Brasenose conditional offers and are also underwriting a fifth Open Offer. In addition, five further applicants received offers from other colleges (Queen's, Corpus Christi, St Edmund's "Teddy" Hall, St Anne's, and Somerville).

Thanks. I'm guessing that includes PPL as well?
It does - plus Psychology and Philosophy!

Original post by Lanterne Rouge
Thanks. I'm guessing that includes PPL as well?
Hi everyone,

Is this the official offer-holders' thread? I can't seem to find it... :colondollar:

In any case, I wanted to share the following: if you're about to start at Oxford this autumn, you probably have a lot of questions and things on your mind. I asked several Oxford students, across a range of years and subjects, what advice they would give to their younger selves, or to any new fresher about to come to Oxford, and I think the results are brilliant. I just hope it reaches the people who need it, so if you know anyone who's planning to come to Oxbridge this year, please share it with them!

https://carambalache.wordpress.com/2017/06/04/oxford-students-give-advice-to-their-younger-selves/
Original post by such_a_lady
Hi everyone,

Is this the official offer-holders' thread? I can't seem to find it... :colondollar:

In any case, I wanted to share the following: if you're about to start at Oxford this autumn, you probably have a lot of questions and things on your mind. I asked several Oxford students, across a range of years and subjects, what advice they would give to their younger selves, or to any new fresher about to come to Oxford, and I think the results are brilliant. I just hope it reaches the people who need it, so if you know anyone who's planning to come to Oxbridge this year, please share it with them!

https://carambalache.wordpress.com/2017/06/04/oxford-students-give-advice-to-their-younger-selves/

Thank you, this was helpful :smile: If you want this to reach more offer holders I recommend putting it on the offer holders group on Facebook!
Dear Brasenose Admissions

I have a query for my son who is an offer holder. He has been unwell for several days during the exam period. While he has managed to get to his exams it has been necessary for him to be placed away from the main exam hall, or at the back of an exam room, so that he can leave his desk quickly ( he has a stomach bug). He is understandably concerned that he will underperform as a result. What advice would you give him about contacting the college. As this is likely to be a virus the GP service don't want to see him. Thanks for any suggestions.
Original post by wishingyouwere
Dear Brasenose Admissions

I have a query for my son who is an offer holder. He has been unwell for several days during the exam period. While he has managed to get to his exams it has been necessary for him to be placed away from the main exam hall, or at the back of an exam room, so that he can leave his desk quickly ( he has a stomach bug). He is understandably concerned that he will underperform as a result. What advice would you give him about contacting the college. As this is likely to be a virus the GP service don't want to see him. Thanks for any suggestions.

Just tagging them in here so that they are notified of the post :h:
Original post by Barbastelle
Just tagging them in here so that they are notified of the post :h:

thank you. This digital stuff is outside my comfort zone!
Original post by wishingyouwere
thank you. This digital stuff is outside my comfort zone!

We've been summoned and appear... (on our day off, as it happens, such is the power of tagging).

If your son has an offer from Brasenose, we would have sent a letter to his UCAS referee advising what to do in the event of illness during exams or similar. We suggest you follow up with the Head of 6th Form and if need be we'll be happy to re-send our advice.

If your son has an offer from another college, we would advise asking the Head of 6th to get in touch with them before A-level results day and preferably asap.

We log all special cases that we are aware of and which are documented and in the event of a missed offer discuss the situation with the selectors.

We hope that your son is feeling better soon.

Brasenose Admissions
We've been summoned and appear... (on our day off, as it happens, such is the power of tagging).

If your son has an offer from Brasenose, we would have sent a letter to his UCAS referee advising what to do in the event of illness during exams or similar. We suggest you follow up with the Head of 6th Form and if need be we'll be happy to re-send our advice.

If your son has an offer from another college, we would advise asking the Head of 6th to get in touch with them before A-level results day and preferably asap.

We log all special cases that we are aware of and which are documented and in the event of a missed offer discuss the situation with the selectors.

We hope that your son is feeling better soon.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you very much. That is helpful advice. And thank you for offering it on your day off! Sorry to have distracted you from the glorious weather - though not the best temperatures in which to be sitting exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending