The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA923
Hi, How many marks would this one get :

Q-
Discuss the needs of a disabled user and describe how they meet these needs when designing a HCI (4marks)

A-
For people who are visually impaired they can have their screens configured using large fonts, this would make it easier to read for them and open the programs which they would like it as they are better able to see the name of the programs.

Another way which could be used to help a disabled user use a computer is to have visual messages on screen instead of sound for the deaf. This would help the user use a computer because they would be able to see and read what they have done wrong however if it was in terms of sound they wouldn’t be able to know if they had an error or not.

Furthermore, a way which could help a disabled user use a computer are that controlling devices can be used for people who cannot use their arms. For example, using an Eye typer for entering text.

One last feature of a human computer interface which would help a disabled user use a computer is to magnify areas of the screen for people with poor eye sight as this would help them see different areas of the screen in closer view making it easier for the user to carry out different tasks.

You are stating both the need and how it is helped in each case so I would give that the four marks. The third point is a little brief but I think it would satisfy the mark scheme so don't worry about it.
Reply 161
Thank you do u have the model answer for the question i asked before ? :smile:
Original post by AA923
A system analyst has been employed by a council to produce a new computer based system to replace the system currently running their central lending library. Other than observation, describe two methods the analyst could use to investigate their current system. [2×3]

Hi , Can anyone give me a model answer for this question as i do not really undertsnad the mark scheme for this question an dhow to put it into an answer which is good enough. Thank you! ( have been dewelling on this for days :frown:)

This is three out of six of the marks as I have given one method here.

The first mark is for a description of the method itself.
The second and third marks are for any two points on the mark scheme which is essentially an extension or further analysis of the method.
ALTERNATIVELY If you take any one of the extension points for the method from the mark scheme and argue it very well/talk about it for a while then this well argued point can get you the second and third mark.

One method the analyst could use to investigate the current system is interviews with managers in order to collect information surrounding the system that is currently in place at the organisation at present. (1) Should the analyst select this method, there are a number of considerations which must firstly be made.

Interviewing each and every manager is likely to be very time consuming, especially if there are a lot of people to be contacted. This is especially true for larger organisations which may employ a wide array of managers. (1)

Skilled interviewers must also be sought in order to get the correct information out of people. This is necessary or else the analyst may end up being faced with a great deal of irrelevance, which can lead to information overload and difficulties in later stages of the system development life cycle. (1)

So now go and have a look at the mark scheme (Summer 2015, Q8) - pick another method and apply the same technique I have here to that, in the sense that you describe the method, then pick out two of the bullet points to serve as your extension for the last mark OR pick one of the points and evaluate it strongly.

Personally, I think its safer to just pick two points as then it cannot be left to examiner judgement as to whether your point has been 'argued' well enough.
Reply 163
Original post by PedanticStudent
This is three out of six of the marks as I have given one method here.

The first mark is for a description of the method itself.
The second and third marks are for any two points on the mark scheme which is essentially an extension or further analysis of the method.
ALTERNATIVELY If you take any one of the extension points for the method from the mark scheme and argue it very well/talk about it for a while then this well argued point can get you the second and third mark.

One method the analyst could use to investigate the current system is interviews with managers in order to collect information surrounding the system that is currently in place at the organisation at present. (1) Should the analyst select this method, there are a number of considerations which must firstly be made.

Interviewing each and every manager is likely to be very time consuming, especially if there are a lot of people to be contacted. This is especially true for larger organisations which may employ a wide array of managers. (1)

Skilled interviewers must also be sought in order to get the correct information out of people. This is necessary or else the analyst may end up being faced with a great deal of irrelevance, which can lead to information overload and difficulties in later stages of the system development life cycle. (1)

So now go and have a look at the mark scheme (Summer 2015, Q8) - pick another method and apply the same technique I have here to that, in the sense that you describe the method, then pick out two of the bullet points to serve as your extension for the last mark OR pick one of the points and evaluate it strongly.

Personally, I think its safer to just pick two points as then it cannot be left to examiner judgement as to whether your point has been 'argued' well enough.

Thank you so much ! your a LEGEND
Reply 164
I'm sure you know where this is from :
On Screen / online helpfiles (built in with software) e.g. Rather than wasting time looking in manuals, important if no outside help available when working / tool tips telling the user what to do / interactive user manual that answers general FAQ. / Wizards to take you through the task. No marks if can be read as a Google search

is it fine if i use : Online helpfiles built in with software - Rather tahn wasting time looking in manuel, important if no outside help available when working.
or would that not be enough ??
Original post by AA923
I'm sure you know where this is from :
On Screen / online helpfiles (built in with software) e.g. Rather than wasting time looking in manuals, important if no outside help available when working / tool tips telling the user what to do / interactive user manual that answers general FAQ. / Wizards to take you through the task. No marks if can be read as a Google search

is it fine if i use : Online helpfiles built in with software - Rather tahn wasting time looking in manuel, important if no outside help available when working.
or would that not be enough ??

Yes it probably would be enough, but I would still give that little bit extra.

EG:

Online helpfiles built in with software - The help files can be used as an alternative to manuals which saves time. This is important if no outside help is available for example when the the manager is out of the office or the IT helpdesk is closed.

Just giving that little more will just help you to be sure that your answer will not be perceived as being 'too brief' or as a list etc.
Reply 166
Yes it probably would be enough, but I would still give that little bit extra.

EG:

Online helpfiles built in with software - The help files can be used as an alternative to manuals which saves time. This is important if no outside help is available for example when the the manager is out of the office or the IT helpdesk is closed.

Just giving that little more will just help you to be sure that your answer will not be perceived as being 'too brief' or as a list etc.

Yeah that's the issue i am having making ''long sentences'' out of markscheme i just find that difficult.
For example:
(one of my answers for designing a good HCI would be)
: One factor which should be considered when designing a good HCI is Clear navigational structure, this is extremely important as it helps users to learn their way around the system.

Do you understand my point ?
Original post by AA923
Yeah that's the issue i am having making ''long sentences'' out of markscheme i just find that difficult.
For example:
(one of my answers for designing a good HCI would be)
: One factor which should be considered when designing a good HCI is Clear navigational structure, this is extremely important as it helps users to learn their way around the system.

Do you understand my point ?

Yeah I get you. If you really struggle with it then there is not much you can really do. That answer there would, if the examiner stuck strictly to the mark scheme, get you the marks. I mean you are keeping snug to the scheme answers so you should be OK.

To help you think about what you could do to extend a point, maybe ask yourself, "what if the opposite was true?"
eg: "What if the users could not learn their way around the system?"

Answer to that would be "If they were not able to do this then using the HCI would likely be very difficult and time consuming to do"

Like I say, just try and think about what the point means and comment on it.

My gut tells me that your approach, though brief should be fine as it is giving what the mark scheme itself is asking for but I am not an examiner remember, and have never been to one of these WJEC conferences, so all I can really advise you to do is give a little bit extra than what is there on the mark scheme to guarantee yourself the marks.
Reply 168
IMG_1093.JPG

This is for " minimise risk to data''
Is this as one of the points fine ?
As it asks for three factors , for two of the factors im fine but idk about that one???
Anyone know if it's possible for me to get an A*. I got 188 UMS last year and I have got full marks on my coursework this year. Please could someone work out how many marks i need on my It3 exam.
Original post by tommylad
Anyone know if it's possible for me to get an A*. I got 188 UMS last year and I have got full marks on my coursework this year. Please could someone work out how many marks i need on my It3 exam.

You're in the same boat as me.

We need 100UMS out of 120UMS on the IT3.

In recent years, this has been between 80-82 out of 90 RAW.

Not a very large margin of error. 23 candidates out of some 3500 or so got the A* last year. That's how rare it is. (0.7% about)? - one of the lowest of all the A levels.

Learn your answers to an absolute T and you too can join the exclusive A* club.

Reason for this by the way is; The A* is awarded when the following criteria is met.

Candidate has surpassed the A grade boundary for the A level qualification (320UMS overall) [For you, this would mean that 52UMS would be needed in the IT3 which is literally an E grade.]

Candidate scores 90% of the total uniform marks in the A2 units (180UMS),(IT3 and IT4 combined) - you say that you have full marks in the IT4. 180-80 = 100 leaving 100UMS to be obtained from the IT3 exam.

So as you can see, for us (I had a very similar AS UMS to you) there is an enormous difference between an A grade and an A* grade, to the tune of just over a third of the paper.

For this reason, don't sweat it or get worked up about it as you're almost certain to bag the A grade whatever happens given that you work hard.

Good luck let's hope we are part of the limited few who get the top grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,
I have started to revise for my resit exam for AS ICT, but I havent started revising for A2 (IT3) because all we are doing in class is just our coursework. We still have 3 more topics to cover, but I haven't revised for A2 yet so far, because I thought it would be better to get all the topics done. Should I start revising the A2 stuff now or should I just wait till we have covered all the topics in class?
Thanks.
Original post by ahsank98
Hi,
I have started to revise for my resit exam for AS ICT, but I havent started revising for A2 (IT3) because all we are doing in class is just our coursework. We still have 3 more topics to cover, but I haven't revised for A2 yet so far, because I thought it would be better to get all the topics done. Should I start revising the A2 stuff now or should I just wait till we have covered all the topics in class?
Thanks.

As I may have implied in the big post at the start, I think that classroom teaching of ICT is totally and utterly pointless.

After my experience last year, which consisted of a mix of mark scheme and class, I can confirm that due to the nature of this subject, it is most certainly best to just sit alone at home (or wherever there is quiet) and memorise the answers for each question. Don't bother with the specification unless you have learnt all existing questions to an exceptional level.

If I were you, I'd just pull out of the lessons completely and use the time to study privately. That's what I did, and I have never looked back. I think that's where a lot of students go awry with ICT. This is not like other essay subjects such as economics, business, English or history etc. There are no skills to teach vis-a-vis analysis or evaluation in ICT as there are with those subjects. Instead, it is 100% memorisation, naught else.

But to answer your question directly, yes do start learning IT3 as soon as possible. There is quite a bit to get down, so do use the question pack I made (link is on page 1 of the thread here) in order to remain organised.

As for the IT1 exam, technique is the exact same, just learn the examiner answers on the scheme. The best way, the only way.

Best of luck and wish you the best success in your revision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AA923
IMG_1093.JPG

This is for " minimise risk to data''
Is this as one of the points fine ?
As it asks for three factors , for two of the factors im fine but idk about that one???

Going by the most recent mark schemes, the first mark comes from statement of the factor (which you have done) so there is one mark.

The second mark comes from an expansion of some sort of expansion on the factor. You would probably just about get the second mark there but I would still look for a bit more detail

For instance, using your answer as a guide:

Short and long term consequences of the threat (1) - resources need to be directed towards recovering the data. For example, staff members would have to be diverted away from their current duties to carry out the necessary work to get the data back following an incident. (1)

But again, strictly speaking, you would more than likely get away with that so don't get too hung up over it.

gg.PNG
As I may have implied in the big post at the start, I think that classroom teaching of ICT is totally and utterly pointless.

After my experience last year, which consisted of a mix of mark scheme and class, I can confirm that due to the nature of this subject, it is most certainly best to just sit alone at home (or wherever there is quiet) and memorise the answers for each question. Don't bother with the specification unless you have learnt all existing questions to an exceptional level.

If I were you, I'd just pull out of the lessons completely and use the time to study privately. That's what I did, and I have never looked back. I think that's where a lot of students go awry with ICT. This is not like other essay subjects such as economics, business, English or history etc. There are no skills to teach vis-a-vis analysis or evaluation in ICT as there are with those subjects. Instead, it is 100% memorisation, naught else.

But to answer your question directly, yes do start learning IT3 as soon as possible. There is quite a bit to get down, so do use the question pack I made (link is on page 1 of the thread here) in order to remain organised.

As for the IT1 exam, technique is the exact same, just learn the examiner answers on the scheme. The best way, the only way.

Best of luck and wish you the best success in your revision.

Thank you! I guess I'll probably start from today then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 175
Going by the most recent mark schemes, the first mark comes from statement of the factor (which you have done) so there is one mark.

The second mark comes from an expansion of some sort of expansion on the factor. You would probably just about get the second mark there but I would still look for a bit more detail

For instance, using your answer as a guide:

Short and long term consequences of the threat (1) - resources need to be directed towards recovering the data. For example, staff members would have to be diverted away from their current duties to carry out the necessary work to get the data back following an incident. (1)

But again, strictly speaking, you would more than likely get away with that so don't get too hung up over it.

gg.PNG

Thank you , btw what do u think would ve the long essay questions for IT1 as you predicted them right last year
Original post by AA923
Thank you , btw what do u think would ve the long essay questions for IT1 as you predicted them right last year

I'd expect ICT in the health service this time (Body scanning, blood tracking, sensors etc) [wouldn't expect expert systems though]
Maybe you'll get something on online shopping as well.

My crystal ball has spoken.
Reply 177
I'd expect ICT in the health service this time (Body scanning, blood tracking, sensors etc) [wouldn't expect expert systems though]
Maybe you'll get something on online shopping as well.

My crystal ball has spoken.

Hahaha what would be the other long answer question then and i wanted to ask do u have model spreadsheet answers? Cuz thats what cost me an A in paper ( 8/16 in section B)
Original post by AA923
Hahaha what would be the other long answer question then and i wanted to ask do u have model spreadsheet answers? Cuz thats what cost me an A in paper ( 8/16 in section B)

The mark scheme for the spreadsheet section has pretty good model answers. They aren't just points either, they show good examples of full sentences so go ahead and use those.

As for the other longer question, I would have to guess it would be the health risks of home entertainment, but I cant really be sure.
Reply 179
The mark scheme for the spreadsheet section has pretty good model answers. They aren't just points either, they show good examples of full sentences so go ahead and use those.

As for the other longer question, I would have to guess it would be the health risks of home entertainment, but I cant really be sure.

Ohhh yeah thanks !!! And btw i noticed on ur website that there were a possible of 12. Past papers we could do to revise .. how many tomes do u think each past paper should be repeated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending