The Student Room Group

Why are people taking the idea of a war with Spain seriously?

Those on the Left seem keen to say that they'd rather 'fight for Spain' and 'fight nationalism', whilst some of the right seem hellbent on proving themselves by beating Spain.

The statements made by senior Government officials have been taken ridiculously far out of context, everyone just needs to calm down, it's a non-issue.

Spain is not going to start a war with a country that has nuclear missiles, a larger army and reserve force, a larger population and economy.
Nobody is taking it seriously and its old news.
Original post by 999tigger
Nobody is taking it seriously and its old news.

Yeah, 1713.
Reply 3
Original post by Mathemagicien
We wouldn't use nukes even if they invaded Gibraltar; also we'd have some problems utilising our army beyond some marines. Larger economy? Yeah, this would be a helpful distraction from their (albeit rapidly healing) economic woes.

We? I was under the impression you were of the teutonic variety of mathemagiciens. Their economic woes aren't healing.
Reply 4
You seem unaware of how war works. We don't have to ask for permission from other countries to declare war.
Reply 5
Original post by richpanda
You seem unaware of how war works. We don't have to ask for permission from other countries to declare war.

Tell that to the UN and every single country in the UN (basically the entire globe).
rich.panda
X

No one with two brain cells to rub together has taken the idea seriously, it is patently obvious that there won't be so much as a skirmish, let alone a war. And the UK possessing nuclear weapons is totally irrelevant, they'd never use them in a situation like this, as to do so would lead to another European or World War.

Also, richpanda, Spain's economy is growing and improving, whether you like it or not, it's actually one of the fastest growing European economies. And population of two countries isn't really that relevant, the population of UK and Spain is similar and most of a country's population doesn't fight in wars anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No one with two brain cells to rub together has taken the idea seriously, it is patently obvious that there won't be so much as a skirmish, let alone a war. And the UK possessing nuclear weapons is totally irrelevant, they'd never use them in a situation like this, as to do so would lead to another European or World War.

Not saying we should, but if we used a nuclear weapon I'm not sure much else would happen, Spain doesn't have many allies.
Spain doesn't have many allies.

On the contrary, Spain is a NATO member.
Not saying we should, but if we used a nuclear weapon I'm not sure much else would happen, Spain doesn't have many allies.

The UN and NATO would all assist Spain and attack a country that had just used nuclear weapons..
Reply 10
Original post by Good bloke
On the contrary, Spain is a NATO member.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The UN and NATO would all assist Spain and attack a country that had just used nuclear weapons..

We are also a member of NATO and the UN? The UN couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone attack a country.
Those on the Left seem keen to say that they'd rather 'fight for Spain' and 'fight nationalism', whilst some of the right seem hellbent on proving themselves by beating Spain.

The statements made by senior Government officials have been taken ridiculously far out of context, everyone just needs to calm down, it's a non-issue.

Spain is not going to start a war with a country that has nuclear missiles, a larger army and reserve force, a larger population and economy.

No one's taking it seriously lmfao. Another thread attacking the left and generalising everyone who is skeptical of Brexit due to its consequences as 'left wing'. Yawn.
We are also a member of NATO and the UN? The UN couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone attack a country.

If one of the other countries had just attacked another with a nuclear missile? Of course they would, I don't understand how you can't see the gravity of such a decision and the catastrophic shockwaves it would send through Europe and the world. But we both know the UK would never do such a thing, that would be international, diplomatic and economic suicide.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Because of dumb nationalist morons seeing this as an opportunity to further their childish irrational agenda
The comments made on this thread are generally hilarious, truly. I wasn't aware I could laugh at politics outside of Trump and PMs questions.

Anyway, of course there will be no war. Spain will go back to quietly grumbling over the fact we own Gibraltar and the UK citizens will continue to wave the Union Jack, even if they have some concerns over Brexit; I have confidence we can sort it out, as Gibraltar is too controversial to ignore and personally I like the idea of keeping land from colonial days because it makes me feel as if the UK is still relevant lmao.

But the UK isn't exactly easing tensions with Spain, as Brexit is gonna cause devolution in Spain if things aren't controlled over there since they have areas that want to break away, I think.

But something about Spain trying to flex its muscles is laughable even with the context of NATO and the UN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending