The Student Room Group

I need some advice on what to drop subject wise.

I take Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Psychology at AS level currently. My college doesn't sit AS levels so I've been given the chance to drop a subject now so i can concentrate on the 3 which i will be taking next year. I know I'm keeping Chemistry because I want to study medicine at uni. Maths I will be predicted an A so I'm keeping maths. I'm good at Psychology, worse at Biology but unis prefer Bio at A2 than Psych - because it's not considered as rigorous. Please help?
Hi!
I applied for Medicine this year as well. I think for Medicine you really do need Biology if I'm honest. It will help you a lot more later on and uni's do prefer it to physcology. Maybe consider, if you're better at maths or Psychology? If you find Psychology easier then drop maths?
But i think you should definitely keep biology and chemistry!
Look at the courses you wish to do at uni. Do they show a preference or have a requirement for one or the other. Imo Biology will give you more options, but it only becomes valuable if you get a decent grade. Psychology is unlikely to be a fixed requirement , but it does become relevant if you enjoy it plus are more likely to get a better grade.
Reply 3
Original post by Mimihxx04
Hi!
I applied for Medicine this year as well. I think for Medicine you really do need Biology if I'm honest. It will help you a lot more later on and uni's do prefer it to physcology. Maybe consider, if you're better at maths or Psychology? If you find Psychology easier then drop maths?
But i think you should definitely keep biology and chemistry!

Thankyou...Maths is my best subjects so I'll be keeping it. I'm worried that if i drop psychology and end up failing Biology requirements for uni then I'll have wasted a year. My teachers keep saying I' capable, but applying for medicine specifically needs As so even getting a B - which is still good- would be insufficient and I wouldn't get an offer.
Ahh keep definitely keep maths if it is your best subject!! I think it depends on how much you struggle with biology, if u find it really tough to understand and are getting below C's i think keep psychology then. If you feel as if you can improve in biology with some revision and help, then keep biology because it will make your application look stronger when applying for Medicine.

My sister also does Medicine and one of her friends goes is now at Leicester doing Medicine and she didn't do Biology and she says she struggled in first year because a large part of it was anatomy and she didn't half the stuff everyone else on the course knew about which i guess is quite challenging and difficult!
Reply 5
Original post by Mimihxx04
Ahh keep definitely keep maths if it is your best subject!! I think it depends on how much you struggle with biology, if u find it really tough to understand and are getting below C's i think keep psychology then. If you feel as if you can improve in biology with some revision and help, then keep biology because it will make your application look stronger when applying for Medicine.

My sister also does Medicine and one of her friends goes is now at Leicester doing Medicine and she didn't do Biology and she says she struggled in first year because a large part of it was anatomy and she didn't half the stuff everyone else on the course knew about which i guess is quite challenging and difficult!

Biology I'm getting Cs/Bs and the exams for predicted grades are in early June this year. Psychology I've been getting straight As in. I honestly don't know if i can improve and the Edexcel exam board keeps making questions more application based and sometimes they just seem random. But not taking Bio cuts uni offers down, even if Psychology is predicted an A. You're right about it strengthening applications though...
Don't worry, last year and even beginning of this year till january i was getting Cs in chemistry as well so don't be put off because of the grade you are getting now! If you get at B in the june exam i am sure they will predict you the A. It's quite tough to decide I'm ngl but just go with what you feel will be best for you. Make sure you also search the uni requirements as some Medicine courses require biology as well as chemistry!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest