The Student Room Group

Exam Pen?

I currently use a Parker sonnet Gold trim fountain pen[£250] with chiseling but am aware fountain pens will be unsuitable for my GCSE exams...

Thus,i was looking for a 'Exam' pen,parker preferably.
I was looking at a price bracket beneath £100 and looked at the parker Ingenuity 5th Technology Pens.

These pens are £80 but have a unique nib which is meant to be a 5th 'Mode' of writing aside from the rollerball,ballpoint,mechanical pencil and fountain pen...The ink is anti-smudge and is described by parker as:
"
An innovative new writing system from Parker is set to revolutionize how we feel about writing. The innovation consists of a cutting-edge refill tip and an engraved metallic hood - together they constitute Parker 5TH Technology, the next generation in pens.
"

I prefer parkers and waterman as they are very smooth writing pens and are weighted extremely well and require minimal pressure to write with so No or very minimal hand fatigue esp. in Longer English Exams.

Would this pen be allowed or suitable in GCSE exams more specifically,for AQA and Edexcel & WJEC boards?

Alternate suggestions will also be appreciated.

Thanks for the Help.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what the hell is wrong with a good old ballpoint?! Haven't failed me yet and they're 20 for £1!
Biro's are bae
Wow thanks for putting the price in that makes a difference. Go to John Lewis or Amazon and get a £15 Parker, that's probably what I'm using probably. But what's the problem with using your £250 one? And also why do you have a £250 pen?
Original post by VNN
I currently use a Parker sonnet Gold trim fountain pen[£250] with chiseling but am aware fountain pens will be unsuitable for my GCSE exams...

Thus,i was looking for a 'Exam' pen,parker preferably.
I was looking at a price bracket beneath £100 and looked at the parker Ingenuity 5th Technology Pens.

These pens are £80 but have a unique nib which is meant to be a 5th 'Mode' of writing aside from the rollerball,ballpoint,mechanical pencil and fountain pen...The ink is anti-smudge and is described by parker as:
"
An innovative new writing system from Parker is set to revolutionize how we feel about writing. The innovation consists of a cutting-edge refill tip and an engraved metallic hood - together they constitute Parker 5TH Technology, the next generation in pens.
"

I prefer parkers and waterman as they are very smooth writing pens and are weighted extremely well and require minimal pressure to write with so No or very minimal hand fatigue esp. in Longer English Exams.

Would this pen be allowed or suitable in GCSE exams more specifically,for AQA and Edexcel & WJEC boards?

Alternate suggestions will also be appreciated.

Thanks for the Help.

Just to let you know thats a £75 pen!:wink:
Get an 8th technology self-adjusting biomechanic biro, they're great.
You are so extra lol. 99% of us use the good ol biro.

Unless you like collecting pens or something... I still dont know why you have a £250 pen. Clearly you dont know how to spend your money, give it to me and ill show you how to spend it :colondollar:
Reply 7
That pen could've bought you a lot of weed.
Original post by nicknorth112
Just to let you know thats a £75 pen!:wink:

Look at the different trims,you'll be surprised.
Original post by Faloodeh
You are so extra lol. 99% of us use the good ol biro.

Unless you like collecting pens or something... I still dont know why you have a £250 pen. Clearly you dont know how to spend your money, give it to me and ill show you how to spend it :colondollar:

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What the :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:? Why not just get a bic pen, what's the point of spending £250 on a pen?
I used a parker pen for some my gcses, and a all point bic pen in other, and by far the ball point pen is so much more easier to write with.
Original post by Dizgurl
I used a parker pen for some my gcses, and a all point bic pen in other, and by far the ball point pen is so much more easier to write with.

How Come?
If i spent that much on a pen i'd expect it to write on its own lmao
I use 'uni-ball micro deluxe waterproof' pens and they are delightful to write with.
Original post by VNN
Look at the different trims,you'll be surprised.

Ohhhhhh a different trim, makes all the difference
Reply 16
Oh sweet biro, thou hast never failed me
Reply 17
I personally find fountain pens much easier to use due to the smooth flow it has without you having to press down (which you have to do with a biro). It makes my hands cramp less.
Fountain pens are also allowed on all of the exam boards (for GCSE anyway) because all they state is that you must use black ink. Other than that your pen should be good to go!
Btw I'm using a Pilot Kakuno fountain pen (fine) for my exams.
Reply 18
Original post by greghayes
what the hell is wrong with a good old ballpoint?! Haven't failed me yet and they're 20 for £1!

Why do you need 20 if they never fail?
Reply 19
Original post by issy786
I personally find fountain pens much easier to use due to the smooth flow it has without you having to press down (which you have to do with a biro). It makes my hands cramp less.
Fountain pens are also allowed on all of the exam boards (for GCSE anyway) because all they state is that you must use black ink. Other than that your pen should be good to go!
Btw I'm using a Pilot Kakuno fountain pen (fine) for my exams.

Yeah I agree ^
I've always had awful handwriting so in my exams I was offered a computer, after giving fountains a try one more time I loved them! Not only did I enjoy writing but the smooth flow helped improve my writing and gave me the confidence to opt out of using a computer for AS. The problem with computers is it kills your flow of thoughts with exam pressure.

Anyway I'd recommend the Parker Vector fountain pen, I use a medium nib but I might switch to fine nib. Ink lasts fairly long, easy to change, perfect flow, never leaks and it's stylish! Honestly can't imagine going back to biro, I don't think I've used biro since switching so like 17 months.

Quick Reply

Latest