The Student Room Group

How do we memorise English GCSE poems !

I'm panicking there's not a lot of time left and I know none of the peoms, HELP PLEASE !

Scroll to see replies

There is loads of time so please don't worry. Take each line of the poem and write out your analysis for each line, memorise this. Then add your own analysis (if you wish). Also plan out your answers to past exam questions or possible questions. I am so lucky as I did all of my poetry as coursework, but I know how stressful it can be!
Reply 2
Start shottin coke!
Original post by GodofCash
Start shottin coke!

That's not appropriate, OP has loads of time left.
Original post by qpzm123
I'm panicking there's not a lot of time left and I know none of the peoms, HELP PLEASE !

In the same position as you:colondollar: there's loads of time left - i'm starting to memorize short key quotations for each of the poems today
Reply 5
You need to memorise strategically. Know which parts of the poems you can talk about in depth etc
Reply 6
Original post by e2014
You need to memorise strategically. Know which parts of the poems you can talk about in depth etc

Thanks man !
You do not need to memorise the entirety of each poem, nor do you need to memorise each poem.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
You do not need to memorise the entirety of each poem, nor do you need to memorise each poem.

Yes you do need to know every poem , (I agree with your first statement however)
Original post by qpzm123
Yes you do need to know every poem , (I agree with your first statement however)

Sorry, mate you are wrong my English teacher is a chief examiner for English on the AQA examination board you need to learn 4 whole poems inside out that can link to all the other poems be strategic OP, you have enough time dont worry take your time be the best you can
Which exam board are you on? My exam board (edexcel) gave us a blank copy of the poems in the exam and we had to memorize our annotations and write an essay on them.

I'd honestly just suggest repeating the lines rhythmically until they get stuck in your head. And try to narrow it down to the key quotes!
I thought that you get supplied with a poem booklet in the exam and then you're told to compare poems? Seems a bit harsh for them to have you remember a whole poem, surely you mean the key points of each poem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to memorise quotes that can link with multiple character and themes, I wouldnt memorise every poem but I did memorise all of mine because I had lots of tine. Write model essays for each theme and relatable quotes
Original post by qpzm123

No, you don't. I'd say 5 or 6, or 7 at a stretch, would be plenty. (just pick them strategically to ensure that you cover all possible, major, areas)
Reply 14
Original post by TrapsterJ
I thought that you get supplied with a poem booklet in the exam and then you're told to compare poems? Seems a bit harsh for them to have you remember a whole poem, surely you mean the key points of each poem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah bro sadly not, the new English GCSE requires you to learn them all off by heart, you don't get the anthology with you
Hi, i am in the same position as you right now! i hope you did well xx
Hey are you sure this is true? Just my sister is trying to revise for this currently, she is not sure how to if anyone has any suggestions thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Most people find song lyrics much easier to memorise than poem texts, so setting the poems to music could help. You can use an existing melody if you don't want to write your own, but it doesn't need to be a particularly good composition - as long as it has a bit of melodic flow it should work just fine.
You do not need to memorise each poem since that would take far too long (CIE has 15 poems for example). You just need to know the key concepts of each poem. So make sure that you understand each poem and its meaning and that you can confidently annotate each one and describe those annotations. I wouldn't spend countless hours memorising since I don't think that is what the exam board wants you to do.
Hi, I recieved 2 9's at GCSE English, I wrote a thread on my tips and included some pictures of my notes to hopefully help y'all out, hope it helps!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5208682

Quick Reply

Latest