The Student Room Group

Sister or brother?

I'm just asking this question to see how many people actually think the same way as me. Or if it's just me who wishes I didn't have any brothers.

I would DEFINITELY appreciate a younger sister more than another brother. :frown:

What would you prefer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have 3 brothers ... No sisters ... Would be nice to have had a sister! :bawling:
To start out (before they get annoying) 0-12yrs I think if you were a guy youd prefer a brother and if youre a girl - a sister, its just more relateable and easier to communicate? to generalise completely youd have someone to play guns/dolls with better

Then later 12-18 youd prefer the opposite sex sibling since theyd be less annoying and intrusive if they werent also a guy/girl - they understand your perspective less so its less awkward maybe

^^^ this applies quite well for me, from 0-12 I loved my younger bro, he played a long with me in games and stuff but now Id prefer to have a little sister, bro gets annoying 0-100 real quick
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow
To start out (before they get annoying) 0-12yrs I think if you were a guy youd prefer a brother and if youre a girl - a sister, its just more relateable and easier to communicate? to generalise completely youd have someone to play guns/dolls with better

Then later 12-18 youd prefer the opposite sex sibling since theyd be less annoying and intrusive if they werent also a guy/girl - they understand your perspective less so its less awkward maybe

^^^ this applies quite well for me, from 0-12 I loved my younger bro, he played a long with me in games and stuff but now Id prefer to have a little sister, bro gets annoying 0-100 real quick

Yeah, sounds possible. But I find that when the topic comes up, the people who have brothers and no sisters (me) say they want a sister, and the people who have sisters, but no brothers say they want a brother, and those who have both say they wish they were an only child.

Basically, we want what we don't have.
Original post by ClearSky
Yeah, sounds possible. But I find that when the topic comes up, the people who have brothers and no sisters (me) say they want a sister, and the people who have sisters, but no brothers say they want a brother, and those who have both say they wish they were an only child.

I have both, brothers and sisters, elder and younger. I don't wish to be an only child...

summed up nicely, its easier to grow up and play around with the same gender tho when youre youngish I think, it makes things more intuitive and easy
Okay, maybe it's only some people.

Also, I find it really rare to find somebody who actually loves all their siblings. And they all get on well.
With me, this will probably never be the case. I totally hate my bros.
Okay, maybe it's only some people.

Also, I find it really rare to find somebody who actually loves all their siblings. And they all get on well.
With me, this will probably never be the case. I totally hate my bros.

I don't love love all my siblings anymore :redface:
Not all of us get on well anymore ... :redface:
Lol. Just lol. :smile:
Lol. Just lol. :smile:

XD
Not much to do besides that.
I only have one brother and he is younger than me. Sometimes I wish I had an older sibling regardless of gender
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I only have one brother and he is younger than me. Sometimes I wish I had an older sibling regardless of gender

Yeah, that's another common one. Same for me, much as I hate my brothers, I wouldn't mind one that was older than me. I hear people always saying about how their older brother/sister helped them on their project, and stuff like that.

Because when you're the oldest, nobody has time to help you. Except younger siblings, but they're never any help. XD

And parents always seem to be busy!!!!!!!!! :bawling:
Yeah, that's another common one. Same for me, much as I hate my brothers, I wouldn't mind one that was older than me. I hear people always saying about how their older brother/sister helped them on their project, and stuff like that.

Because when you're the oldest, nobody has time to help you. Except younger siblings, but they're never any help. XD

And parents always seem to be busy!!!!!!!!! :bawling:

Omg yes that's exactly how I feel! Not having an older sibling meant I had no help, advice or guidance with anything especially with education. This is why my mum relies on me to help my brother to not make the same mistakes I made.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Omg yes that's exactly how I feel! Not having an older sibling meant I had no help, advice or guidance with anything especially with education. This is why my mum relies on me to help my brother to not make the same mistakes I made.

Nice to know I'm not alone. :wink:
Nah my brothers are my best friends. We've always got along really well.
Original post by XavierMyshkin
I have 3 brothers ... No sisters ... Would be nice to have had a sister! :bawling:

I have 2 brothers, no sisters :bawling:
Original post by Lychee627
I have 2 brothers, no sisters :bawling:

Younger or older? :smile:
Original post by XavierMyshkin
Younger or older? :smile:

Im the middle one :rolleyes:
I'm an older brother to a younger sister. I would have preferred to have either an older brother or sister as a sort of role model...
I am number two too :beer:

Quick Reply

Latest