The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Optimist
You have been given an offer?

I think Nottingham have stated they accept 2:2. However some universities ask for a minimum of a high 2:1.

Sadly I do not have good GCSE and A-levels thus this limits me to which unis I can apply to.

I am currently on a 64% average in my Mpharm masters degree, I am in my final year, fingers crossed I can boost myself to a first.

They also don't care about your GCSEs and A-levels.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Most GAMSAT unis if not all only send out interviews based on your GAMSAT cut off if you have a 2.1 in your degree. Nottingham accepted 2.2 but +5 the cut off score for those with a 2.2 degree. E.g. if the cut off is 60 for those with a 2.1, those with 2.2 are accepted for interview if they get 65. Exeter and Plymouth also send interview invites REGARDLESS of what you got in your degree (but these are 5 year degrees). (I remember you asking this very question previously.) If you are still unsure, I would seriously recommend that you check with the admissions offices and the relevant websites as it would put your doubts to rest.

By the time you get to the interview, the MMI (to remove any bias) is used to pick you solely based on your interview performance. Nothing else. The interviewers know nothing other than your name.

From the universities I spoke to, the GAMSAT score actually only becomes relevant again, if you are a borderline candidate. E.g. if the lowest interview score for the remaining spot on the course is 60, and if three people all got 60s in their MMI scores, admissions would refer back to the GAMSAT scores of these 3 candidates and pick them accordingly - however from the admissions officers I spoke to, they said that this was exceedingly rare. It ultimately means if you have a super high GAMSAT score (I worked hard thinking it would benefit me and got 82), it's practically irrelevant after you meet the cut off.:angry:

Last but not least, work experience is crucial for some of the universities e.g. Notts and St Georges....

Thank you so much for your thorough comment! It seems therefore the GAMSAT is such an important part. No surprising given just how difficult it is!

In your opinion, would you say the interview stage is very hard? I am quite confident in my interview skills but I will not underestimate the process and will probably do some mock ones.

I thank you again for your comment, they're a great deal of help to people like me!
They also don't care about your GCSEs and A-levels.

I had looked at Liverpool's graduate program and they ask for BBB in A-level :frown:
I have BCD. They do allow access course, I have distinction in access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical sciences.

Also it seems they want Biomed/life sciences, I am not sure if they would even accept a pharmacy degree.
Original post by puddleduck
I've been waitlisted for St George's, and only interview score is relevant to get an offer at Swansea. As far as I know, gem doesn't looks at your GCSE or A level scores?

I wish you all the best!

Sadly some of the GEM like Liverpool's program seem to look at your A-levels. That's the impression I got from the site anyway.
I had looked at Liverpool's graduate program and they ask for BBB in A-level :frown:
I have BCD. They do allow access course, I have distinction in access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical sciences.

Also it seems they want Biomed/life sciences, I am not sure if they would even accept a pharmacy degree.

I am from a non science background, so my choices were limited. Just pick the relevant universities based on your specific set of circumstances. Make a spreadsheet and make a list of applicable universities and explore them further and narrow them down to your final four.

This is my first time applying and so far I have three offers and one more interview to go. I actually found the medicine interview process much easier than other interviews I have had for jobs e.g. banking interviews will test your intellectual rigour much more. There's no secret to medical interviews - you just have to be able to back up every one of your answers, and weave in personal examples to avoid making them generic. Just know your stuff and be able to reflect on what you learned during your work experience. There are a lot of good books around as well, and keep up to date with current affairs. I am thinking of writing a full write-up of my strategy for graduate entry medicine when I have the time, and hopefully that will cover interview preparation.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am from a non science background, so my choices were limited. Just pick the relevant universities based on your specific set of circumstances. Make a spreadsheet and make a list of applicable universities and explore them further and narrow them down to your final four.

This is my first time applying and so far I have three offers and one more interview to go. I actually found the medicine interview process much easier than other interviews I have had for jobs e.g. banking interviews will test your intellectual rigour much more. There's no secret to medical interviews - you just have to be able to back up every one of your answers, and weave in personal examples to avoid making them generic. Just know your stuff and be able to reflect on what you learned during your work experience. There are a lot of good books around as well, and keep up to date with current affairs. I am thinking of writing a full write-up of my strategy for graduate entry medicine when I have the time, and hopefully that will cover interview preparation.

Please do write that and I will be looking forward to reading about your journey.

I think after I have worked as a pharmacist for 1 year, I will have plenty of stories to tell. But I will also be looking forward to getting experiences elsewhere as well.

I have never had any experience in the banking sector, knew a few people though. Would be nice to witness their interview process.

Also could you please give a little info about your journey. What was your degree? which unis did you apply to. What were your A-level/gcse (not that they mattered in the end).
(edited 6 years ago)
Please do write that and I will be looking forward to reading about your journey.

I think after I have worked as a pharmacist for 1 year, I will have plenty of stories to tell. .

Best of luck on your journey, and yes get a nice breadth of experiences, it will really help with the interview process!
Reply 2867
Original post by eilidhchambe
Where did your friend get into with 640? big problemo is can't apply UEA due to a levels, and Keele due to A levels would have to do GAMSAT instead of UKCAT

She got into UEA and HYMS. I know you've said you can't apply to UEA because of your A levels but how are your GCSEs? If they're strong, I'd recommend applying to HYMS. When shortlisting for interview, they look at UKCAT and GCSEs. My friend and I both got interviews and subsequent offers. She had quite a few A*s at GCSE to compensate for her low UKCAT whereas I had a UKCAT score of 700 to compensate for only getting 3 A*s at GCSE.
Hi,

Has anyone applied for Cambridge graduate medical school? If so, what is their application process/ standards like?
Reply 2869
Original post by MarkLane_9
Hey
I am doing my BSc now and a Masters at UCL. Does anyone know what BMAT grades are looked for at GEM level (by most unis) and what the interview process is like for UCL?

I had an interview for medicine at UCL and got an offer (studied biomed got a 2.1), the interview is different for everyone as they don't ask standardised questions for every candidate but from talking to a few people in the interview room and from my experience as well, the interview is mainly based on your BMAT essay. Imperial have a BMAT cut off (you can find that on there website) and UCL release an average of all the BMAT scores received from applicants from each section. However interview is not based solely on your BMAT score, but an accumulation of things e.g. grades, personal statement etc. So if your BMAT score is a little bit lower than UCL's average score, you can still get an interview.

Hope that makes sense :smile:

Please do write it, it would be very helpful and a great read for prospective grad medics.
Anyone here recommend the KAPLAN or The medic Portal UKCAT day courses??
Original post by 123ash

No.
Reply 2873
Original post by 123ash

I did the Kaplan course when I first applied during A levels and again now when I applied for graduate entry and both times going on the course drastically improved my score so I'd recommend it. However, my friend went on the course and on test day she didn't get as high of a score as she was hoping for so maybe it's not for everyone. What I really liked about the course is that it gave you techniques for how to tackle the test. When I was first starting revision I didn't really know how to approach the test and going on the course made me more confident because I knew exactly what strategy to use on test day. Also, they give you access to loads of online practice tests which are really similar to the actual test in my opinion so that helped loads.
Original post by Nav43
I did the Kaplan course when I first applied during A levels and again now when I applied for graduate entry and both times going on the course drastically improved my score so I'd recommend it. However, my friend went on the course and on test day she didn't get as high of a score as she was hoping for so maybe it's not for everyone. What I really liked about the course is that it gave you techniques for how to tackle the test. When I was first starting revision I didn't really know how to approach the test and going on the course made me more confident because I knew exactly what strategy to use on test day. Also, they give you access to loads of online practice tests which are really similar to the actual test in my opinion so that helped loads.

Thank you. The KAPLAN course is pricey, but my score last year was a very low average, I did not actually apply, I just sat the UKCAT course so when it comes to this year when I want to apply it is not al new to me. I just want to help boost my score somehow. If the money is worth it, then I don't mind, hence its good to hear from someone who actually took the course.

Original post by 123ash
Thank you. The KAPLAN course is pricey, but my score last year was a very low average, I did not actually apply, I just sat the UKCAT course so when it comes to this year when I want to apply it is not al new to me. I just want to help boost my score somehow. If the money is worth it, then I don't mind, hence its good to hear from someone who actually took the course.

The online course is cheaper and worth it in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2876
Original post by Pantego

You learn the same things online as you would if you attended the in-classroom course. For me personally, I just learn better physically being in front of a teacher rather than watching seminars online but the online course is definitely a good alternative to save money!
Reply 2877
Original post by 123ash

You're welcome :smile: as I said, my friend didn't score as high as she would have liked but her score did still improve from previously so I definitely think it's worth it and the online course is a good cheaper alternative. Also, remember that the UKCAT isn't the be-all and end-all of your application so if it doesn't go to plan you've still got options. You could always try the GAMSAT or BMAT or potentially look at undergrad courses if you can afford them because they require a much lower UKCAT score than graduate courses do. Good luck with your application!
Original post by Pantego

Posted from TSR Mobile

The online KAPLAN course or the TMP??

Original post by Nav43
You're welcome :smile: as I said, my friend didn't score as high as she would have liked but her score did still improve from previously so I definitely think it's worth it and the online course is a good cheaper alternative. Also, remember that the UKCAT isn't the be-all and end-all of your application so if it doesn't go to plan you've still got options. You could always try the GAMSAT or BMAT or potentially look at undergrad courses if you can afford them because they require a much lower UKCAT score than graduate courses do. Good luck with your application!

Thank you so much. I really don't think I could do the GAMSAT or BMAT, I don't have any A-Levels, only an Access course. My options are very limited :frown:.

But I am not one to give up easily, if there is a little hope, I will keep trying :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest