The Student Room Group

Indian Premier League 2017 thread

Scroll to see replies

KXIP FTW
I think we have a fair chance of winning this year
Darren Sammy as captain would be :bhangra:
Original post by Aky786UK
Don't see why it would get a negative reaction, but PSL matches of late have been exciting, really close finishes with matches going to last overs

Posted from TSR Mobile

pakistan vs indian rivalry (I know from experience in sixth form/ irl how bad it can be in the UK).

I myself couldnt care less, cricket is cricket (i will admit however that I havent been following PSL as I have been more focused on f1 testing and wrestling but anyways).

so when is PSL final (im guessing islamabad is in the final)
Reply 42
The majority of Quetta Gladiators' overseas contingent have opted not to travel to Lahore for the PSL final.

KP, Mills and Wright all tweeted about leaving the tournament, while former Nathan McCullum will also not travel. Rossouw had been considering playing in the final on March 5, but he too wrote on Twitter that he was leaving the tournament.
Original post by Mackay
The majority of Quetta Gladiators' overseas contingent have opted not to travel to Lahore for the PSL final.

KP, Mills and Wright all tweeted about leaving the tournament, while former Nathan McCullum will also not travel. Rossouw had been considering playing in the final on March 5, but he too wrote on Twitter that he was leaving the tournament.

ipl training or security
Reply 44
Original post by quasa
ipl training or security

Security.
Hey everyone, IPL started yesterday and so far 2 matches have been played: RCB VS SRH in hyderabad; and Mumbai indians vs Pune.

In summary: Hyderabad trounced RCB 207- 172 and Pune beat mumbai by 3 runs, 7 wickets and a ball to spare.

thoughts / analysis: RCB were seriously crippled by the lack of AB (who apparently wont be keeping at all this year), KL Rahul, Sarfaraz and some random Geezer called Kohli.

Hyderabad scored well with the bat (although Warner mysteriously played crap with the bat). that being said their fielding was great (surprise surprise Warner was the top fielder) and Rashid Khan (who played instead of his more illustrious afghan teammate Mohammed Nabi) took 2 for 36 (2nd best figures behind Bhuvis 2-27). Mills took just 1 wicket and chris jordan was mysteriously absent save for fielding towards the end of the game.

Pune's batting finally lived up to expectations from last year with Rahane, Smith and Dhoni scoring runs, particularly the captain Steve Smith who got 84 off 54 not out. Stokes got 21 off of 14 balls and 1-36 in bowling. Rahane had Punes highest strike rate however with 60 off of 34.

Mumbai Mumbai Mumbai, its bad enough you lost a match where you score 30 runs in the final over (thank you ashok dinda) but the fact that they lost so many cheap wickets is a worry. I did say earlier in the thread mumbai's side this year was poor and they rather surprisingly didnt chose simmons, malinga, johnson, or Bhaji.
Reply 46
KKR vs Gujarat tomorrow. Gujarat Lions have won both matches between the teams so far. They are missing Bravo and Jadeja, though, while KKR are missing Yadav and Russell, but have brought in de Grandhomme, while Shakib Al Hasan will join the team after Bangladesh's tour of SL. The team chasing has won four out of five IPL matches at the venue, and teams have a penchant for struggling in the first innings, with an average of just over 150. Interestingly, this match features two of the four best opening partnerships in the IPL: Gambhir and Uthappa have scored 1478 runs in 39 innings at an average of 37.89, while B-Mac and Smith have made 1257 runs in 34 innings at an average of 36.97.

The strength at the top of the order for KKR is phenomenal. Gambhir (he averages 29.58 against pace bowling with 85 dismissals - no other batsman has been dismissed as many times by pace in the IPL but is excellent against spin though, as an average of 41.22 indicates) and Uthappa are a great, great partnership. Yusuf, Shakib, Rovman add power hitting in the middle overs, too, and they boast three great, differing spinners in Narine, Kuldeep - who will be raring to go after a memorable domestic season that culminated in a Test debut at Dharamsala - and Chawla. Their overreliance on domestic cricketers needs to be lauded, but their decision to shun the big names is questionable, because I’m not sure they have the squad depth. Umesh’s absence will affect them, and there’s an argument to suggest they rely too heavily on Narine. His average show last year - 11 wickets, at an economy of 7.12 - corresponded with his team's moderate performance. They will miss Russell, too.

Gujarat, too, have an overreliance on the top of the order - they were the fastest scoring team in the Powerplay in 2016 (8.29), and the slowest scoring team in the last five overs (8.98). They were the only team last year to score 70 or more in the Powerplay - a feat they achieved four times. Five of their batsmen - Raina, Finch, McCullum, Karthik and Smith - aggregated more than 300 runs; no other team had more than three.

Pune overcame Mumbai, who posted 184-8, largely because the final over went for 30. Buttler, promoted to opener, impressed with 38, but Mumbai's total always looked too little and Smith struck 84 in the chase. Dinda bowled the most expensive 20th over in all IPL matches, as Pune's three faster bowlers - Dinda, Deepak Chahar and Ben Stokes - combined to take one wicket and concede 114. But their spinners - Tahir and Zampa and Bhatia - posted a combined 6-68. Tahir removed Patel for 19 and Buttler, bowled and LBW respectively, while Bhatia had Pandya and Pollard caught by himself and Dhoni. Stokes combined with Agarwal to remove Pollard, after Bhatia snaffled Rana off Zampa. Tahir claimed 3-28, removing Sharma too, and Southee was run out for 7. Southee had Rahane - who made 60 - caught by Rana, and Sharma caught Agarwal off McCleneghan, while Stokes - who made 20 debut - was caught off Pandya by Southee, before Smith and Dhoni, who made 12, got them over the line.

Smith hadn't played any T20 cricket for a year, but it hardly seemed to matter. He was excellent - and, despite the chase not being as fierce as it could have been - Mumbai Indians had never lost in the IPL after scoring 184 or more. Smith rode his luck (he was dropped on 36) but he made 27 runs off the first 25 balls he faced at a strike rate of 108. Once in, he scored 57 off the next 29 balls at a strike rate of 197. This was Smith's sixth 30-plus score in eight innings against Mumbai Indians. All of them have resulted in wins for his side.
WTH why did I not know this thread existed?!?

RCB all the way!

Yes I know we lost badly first match.. I doubt we'll win this year again. But one can hope right :biggrin:
Reply 48
The way scoring has changed in the IPL is mighty interesting: the average IPL Powerplay score in the last five years is 43, while the average economy rate for the top 25 bowlers i is 7.23. The batsman with the best strike rate in this phase is du Plessis, who boasts a strike rate of 142.86 from 30 innings, with Warner and Sehwag behind him, with strike rates of 142.57 and 135.68. Gayle is in seventh position with a strike rate of 128.29. In contrast, Narine tops the list with an economy rate of 5.33, by far the best in the IPL. Malinga and Steyn are the other two who have gone at below six. Among the Indian bowlers in this phase, B Kumar is the best with an economy rate of 6.13.

In the middle overs, ABDV tops the list in this phase with a dot-ball percentage of 27.71. Rahane follows with a percentage of 29.17 while Kohli is behind that duo at 29.92. Nine of the top 10 bowlers, in terms of strike rate, are spinners during the middle overs. Chahal has been the best, taking a wicket once in every 18 balls. The second-best is Sharma, with a wicket every 22 balls. The best fast bowler in this phase is Dwayne Bravo, who usually begins his spells after the tenth over - in the middle overs he takes a wicket every 27 balls.

The top three batsmen in the latter five overs are ABDV, who scores a boundary once every 2.89 balls in this phase, while Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma follow with a BpB ratio of 3.53 and 3.64. Dhoni, who has finished so many games for his franchise, has a BpB ratio of 4.47 which is slightly above average. Narine leads the pack for the bowlers, conceding a boundary only once every eight balls, while Lasith Malinga and Chris Morris concede a boundary every seven balls. Among the Indian bowlers, Bhuvneshwar again tops the list, conceding a boundary every six balls.

Free-scoring and aggressive six-hitting is now currency. From 2006 to 2012, the number of sixes per T20 innings was four, and in ODIs it was three. In the years since, though, there has been an explosion. In ODIs, the number of sixes per match rose from 6.09 in 2012 to 8.73 in 2016. In T20Is, the number of sixes per innings rose from 4.23 in 2012 to 5.18 in 2016. So what is it down to? Bigger bats, better batsman fitness or strength, tailored six-hitting practice? Who knows. The introduction of free hits for ALL no-balls has helped, as has the ascent of having a long tail who can bat and bat and bat. Obviously, fielding has improved too, meaning batsmen are NOT forcing the ball through the field and instead are hitting over it. In ODIs in 2006, there were 12 sixes for every 100 fours; by 2016, there were 22 for every 100 fours.
Original post by LotusBlue
WTH why did I not know this thread existed?!?

RCB all the way!

Yes I know we lost badly first match.. I doubt we'll win this year again. But one can hope right :biggrin:

I jumped the gun and made this thread when auctions happened (vs last year where I was a bit late but still had a decent thread)
Original post by quasa
I jumped the gun and made this thread when auctions happened (vs last year where I was a bit late but still had a decent thread)

Now that you mention it I remember the 2016 one

Which team are you supporting?
KKR :woo:
Reply 52
I love the IPL. It is being embraced more and more by countries around the world, and it has given us and the players so much. It has allowed the likes of Pandya, Rahul, Jadhav and Karn Sharma to be fast-tracked into the international set-up, it has given life to players in their 30s (Nehra, Zaheer Khan, Muttiah Muralitharan, Kumar Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Brad Hogg, Brad Hodge, Praveen Tambe, Mitchell Johnson etc. There are so many unanswered questions: can Mumbai become the first team to bag three IPL titles? Can KKR do it - without Russell? Can one of Delhi Daredevils, Royal Challengers Bangalore or Kings XI break the jinx of having never won the IPL? Or will one of the two outgoing teams - Rising Pune Supergiant and Gujarat Lions - win the trophy? Three overseas players will lead teams in this edition: David Warner (Sunrisers), Maxwell (Kings XI), Steven Smith (Supergiant).

In other news, Dhoni has been reprimanded for a "minor" code of conduct breach after Pune's victory and it is understood that Dhoni's offence was making a review gesture with his hands immediately after an lbw appeal against Kieron Pollard was turned down.
Now that you mention it I remember the 2016 one

Which team are you supporting?

considering Im marathi (family from konkan area of india), mumbai is technically my "home" team. Ive also been a fan of hyderabad since they were deccan chargers (deccan had the best sports theme ever incidentally). Pune I guess I would be into as well as pune is in maharasthra (people from maharashtra are know as marathi).
Reply 54
KKR win the toss and opt to bowl. Come on Kolkata! All four of the Lions' overseas players were opening batsmen - B-Mac, Dwayne Smith, Finch and Jason Roy, who is making his debut of course. Sunil Narine and Trent Boult, playing his first game for the franchise, start For KKR, alongside Lynn, who smashed the most sixes by a batsman in the BBL, in place of Shakib Al Hasan, who was on Bangladesh duty as recently as last night.
:frown::frown::frown:
Original post by Samosa and Vada
:frown::frown::frown:

Are you sad GL lost? So am I :frown:
That was a hammering by KKR
Reply 57
Big win for KKR, that. Lynn and Gambhir - who racked up 93 and 76 not out respectively - got them over the line with 10 wickets in hand, after Gujarat posted 183-4. Kuldeep claimed 2-25, trapping B-Mac LBW for 35, before Yadav snaffled Finch before catching Karthik off Boult for 47. Roy holed out to Pathan off Chawla for 14. Lynn, promoted to open the batting for only the third time in 87 T20 matches, equalled the franchise's second-fastest fifty - off 19 balls - as he and Gambhir racked up a world-record and secured victory with 5.1 overs to spare. He milked fast bowling at an average of 43.10 and at a run-rate of 10.19 an over. At his most recent T20 tournament - the Big Bash - he hit a boundary every four balls, and Lynn continued that good form: Kulkarni was smashed for 42 in 2.5 overs, Gony 32 in two, Kaushik 40 in four , Dwayne Smith 23 in one and Shadab Jakati 30 in three. Gujarat will take joy from Raina's half-century - his first in the format - and Kathik, who hit 11.28 runs per over - his second-highest in an innings of 25 balls or more. McCullum now averages 17 against spin (today was his 21st dismissal vs it) and Roy brought his tally against legspin in T20s to 48 runs off 47 balls and five dismissals. It was a big call to start Lynn, because KKR's Uthappa had shared 1478 runs in 39 innings with Gambhir at an average of 37.89, but it paid off. The target chased down by Knight Riders is the highest in T20 cricket without losing a wicket, beating the 171 by Perth against the Renegades two years ago.

184 is the highest target chased down successfully without losing a wicket, beating the 171 by Perth vs the Renegades two years ago. In the IPL, the previous highest was 163 - Mumbai vs Rajasthan in 2012 - and it's now nine 10-wicket wins in IPL history, but the first for KKR, and the second conceded by Gujarat since 2016 (Sunrisers managed the feat against them last term). Only five bigger partnerships have been registered higher than Lynn's and Gambhir's 18 in the IPL, but this is the highest opening stand ( eclipsing 152 added by Gambhir and Jacques Kallis against Rajasthan in 2011) and, worryingly for the hosts, their win-loss record when defending totals now reads 1-6 While chasing, though, they have a 8-2 record.

Tomorrow, RCB vs Delhi. Both sides are missing key players. Daredevils are without Duminy and de Kock, Mathews has been sidelined since January with a hamstring injury, and Iyer has chickenpox. Pant may also miss the game, owing to personal reasons, meaning Tare could take over wicket-keeping duties. Rabada looks set to make his IPL debut while the allrounder's spot could see a toss-up between Brathwaite and Anderson. On Friday, Daredevils announced Hilfenhaus as a replacement for Duminy. With 12 scalps from nine games at an economy of just over eight, Hilfenhaus, 34, finished as his team's second-highest wicket-taker behind Boland in the BBL.

RCB have drafted in Vinod after KL Rahul was ruled out of the tournament with a shoulder injury. ABDV is not fit and has confirmed that he will not keep wicket in the IPL, which means Kedar Jadhav could retain the gloves. Typically, the team batting second has won 31 off 58 matches in Bengaluru. Daredevils prefer to chase: 38 of their 56 wins in the IPL have come batting second. Promisingly for Bangalore, Gayle has scored 327 runs off 209 balls against Daredevils, has never been dismissed by a Delhi spinner, and has struck 15 boundaries - including nine sixes - off the 56 balls faced against them.

Delhi have decent bowling attack and a good mix of match-winning allrounders. They have plenty of options to take wickets, with six full-time bowlers in the XI, and they have strong squad depth and bench strength. They will miss de Kock, and Duminy and Morris, all lost through injury. Their signings - Rabada, Cummins, Anderson - were exceptional. But I can’t help feeling they should have kept hold of Tahir. Daredevils will need to find the right balance in their attack, too. Mishra is the second-highest wicket-taker in IPL history and seems a shoo-in, while Rabada and Shami appear to be Daredevils' most likely new-ball duo. The former, in his most recent international appearance, took four wickets even as his team was flattened by NZ in the Hamilton Test. In the preceding one-day series, he was the highest wicket-taker from either side, with an average of 17 and an economy rate of 4.22. Shami recently returned after a four-month layoff due to hamstring injury and took four wickets for Bengal in the Vijay Hazare Trophy final.

Pune vs KXIP too. Maxwell will replace Vijay for the latter, and they also have Sharma too, after he had gone unsold at the auction in February, after a season in which he claimed three wickets in four matches at 49.33, conceding 9.86 per over for Pune. T Natarajan, the left-arm pacer on whom they splurged INR 3 crore, is a great recruit, and the attack looks well-rounded. Pune's seam bowling needs to improve - and quickly. Dinda bowled the most expensive 20th over in IPL history - 30 runs - and the side's fast-bowling trio, comprising Dinda, Deepak Chahar and Ben Stokes, conceded 114 runs for a solitary wicket.

In truth, KXIP disappointed last year. A lack of experienced spinners could leave them vulnerable on potentially tired surfaces as the season progresses. Maxwell and Gurkeerat are part-timers at best while the legspinning duo of Pardeep Sahu and Rahul Tewatia have hardly played in 2016-17. There is a chance that the team has to rely solely on their pacers to deliver wins. It remains to be seen how Eoin Morgan and Darren Sammy settle in their ranks, too. Guptill will leave on May 10 for a tri-series involving New Zealand, Bangladesh and Ireland, though. Matt Henry will join him too. Eoin Morgan will be unavailable from May 1, when he'll take off to lead England on their tour of Ireland.

As for Pune, Smith is the best batsman in the world, Dhoni is the best finisher and Stokes is (arguably) the best all-rounder. Tahir, the current No. 1 bowler in T20 cricket, adds bowling quality, and Zampa was the surprise package in IPL 2016, peeling off 12 wickets in five matches at an economy rate of 6.76, and he enters this season with an enhanced reputation after productive stints with the Australian team and Guyana Amazon Warriors in the CPL. A great pair of matches awaits!
Are you sad GL lost? So am I :frown:
That was a hammering by KKR

I tell you it was a foolish decision to let play 4 openers and no Faulkner. I think Gujarat are not using him properly. I still remember he used to play great in Rajasthan royals. Additionally buying Jason Roy in the auction is beyond me, I mean why would you buy him when you already have Mccullum, Smith and Finch. Stupid!!! Seriously we can't win if our bowling line-up is so weak. Shivil Kaushik doesn't know where his ball turns and still they made him play yeasterday. Was only impressed by Karthik. Raina needs to stop looking for singles and doubles its not going to win you matches. Also feel like Finch needs to open I mean don't forget he was world no 1 batsman in t20s 5/6 months ago.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Kolkata were just exceptional yesterday. Gambhir and Lynn made history, and it was even more impressive given the fact the top five Gujarat batsmen found runs, with Raina top scoring with a 51-ball 68. Raina found an able partner in Karthik and the duo added 87 runs for the fourth wicket to help their side post an impressive 183, but KKR were just flawless. It was reminiscent of England vs SL at Edgbaston last summer, when Roy/Hales smoked the chase and no wicket fell in the ODI. Gambhir and Lynn set the tone early, smashing seven fours and two sixes in the first five overs. Kaushik was taken by Gambhir for four fours in his second over. Kolkata had at that stage posted 73, their highest Powerplay score in the tournament. Smith was blasted for three sixes and a four by Lynn and by the 10th over, KKR had racked up 116 and were left requiring to score at 6.80 an over to complete the win.

I'm surprised the opening combo of Gambhir and Robin Uthappa was meddled with. They had stacked up 566 runs at an average of 37.73, with one century and four fifty stands, but it makes sense in another way: Lynn's strength against pace bowling early on was not a bad idea, even though he had opened only twice in his career of 85 T20s. It means Uthappa can bat at No. 3 and shore up the middle order.

93 not out - Lynn's score - the third highest for Knight Riders in the IPL after Brendon McCullum's 158* and Manish Pandey's 94. It was also Lynn's third highest score in T20s. Six out of Lynn's seven top scores in T20s have come while batting second. He averages 39.82 when chasing compared to 33.96 in first innings. Gambhir equalled his most fours in an innings - 12 - and Lynn's strike-rate against the seamers was 287: he hit 69 runs off 24 balls. Against the spinners, he managed only 24 off 17 balls at a strike rate of 141.17. Lynn's fifty was second-fastest in KKR history, at just 19 balls. Pathan had smashed a fifty off 15 balls in 2014 while Andre Russell hit one off 19 balls in 2015.

Quick Reply

Latest