The Student Room Group

Chemistry A level

I'm really struggling to apply my knowledge to the questions being asked on the exam papers, any tips? (I'm currently AS and on the exam board WJEC)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johne00
I'm really struggling to apply my knowledge to the questions being asked on the exam papers, any tips? (I'm currently AS and on the exam board WJEC)

I can totally relate to you as I do Biology A Level, also WJEC. I hate those application questions where sometimes you just have no idea what's happening! The way I deal with this is get really familiar and understand fully all the contents I learned - so that way, when I read the questions, I should be able to know or have an idea of what's going on. Exam questions and specimen papers really help. Remember to also check the mark scheme to see what exactly they are looking for.

Chemistry is truly a tough A Level. Do plenty of practice and learn the topics thoroughly. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by honour
I can totally relate to you as I do Biology A Level, also WJEC. I hate those application questions where sometimes you just have no idea what's happening! The way I deal with this is get really familiar and understand fully all the contents I learned - so that way, when I read the questions, I should be able to know or have an idea of what's going on. Exam questions and specimen papers really help. Remember to also check the mark scheme to see what exactly they are looking for.

Chemistry is truly a tough A Level. Do plenty of practice and learn the topics thoroughly. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

I do biology also! I'm finding biology slightly easier that chemistry but still sooo hard!
Okay thank you for the tips!! How do you revise for biology? What works best for you?
Good luck to you too!!
Reply 3
How are you revising chemistry?
Original post by Johne00

I'm doing A2 (new spec), and you probably did the paper I did at AS as a mock - unfortunately, you're taking the most painful exam board for chem and bio since A Levels were reformed; their papers used to be easy prior, now they're awful.
Original post by Johne00
I do biology also! I'm finding biology slightly easier that chemistry but still sooo hard!
Okay thank you for the tips!! How do you revise for biology? What works best for you?
Good luck to you too!!

I use a textbook and make notes.

I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eduqas-Biology-Level-Year-AS/dp/1908682620/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1491602330&sr=8-9&keywords=wjec+biology+a+level

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wjec-Biology-Level-Study-Revision/dp/1908682523/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491602318&sr=8-5&keywords=wjec+biology+textbook which is a more summarised version.

There are also plenty of video tutorials on YouTube that are quite helpful, especially the ones by Mr Pollock :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 06moca1
How are you revising chemistry?

At the moment, I've written out notes not for every topic and made myself sort of a homemade revision guide. Because the spec changed last year there's only one past paper to do which my teacher is holding back from us for us to do it as a mock after easter (we did the specimen as a mock in January and I didn't do well at all)
Do you do chemistry aswell? If you do, any revision tips?
Reply 7
Original post by honour
I use a textbook and make notes.

I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eduqas-Biology-Level-Year-AS/dp/1908682620/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1491602330&sr=8-9&keywords=wjec+biology+a+level

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wjec-Biology-Level-Study-Revision/dp/1908682523/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491602318&sr=8-5&keywords=wjec+biology+textbook which is a more summarised version.

There are also plenty of video tutorials on YouTube that are quite helpful, especially the ones by Mr Pollock :smile:

That's what I do also! I don't have the revision guide though, does it help a lot? Or is it not worth it (as I already have the textbook!)
Okay awesome I'll check him out!
Reply 8
Original post by Johne00
At the moment, I've written out notes not for every topic and made myself sort of a homemade revision guide. Because the spec changed last year there's only one past paper to do which my teacher is holding back from us for us to do it as a mock after easter (we did the specimen as a mock in January and I didn't do well at all)
Do you do chemistry aswell? If you do, any revision tips?

Never ever write out notes for chemistry. This is not biology. What you should do is buy notebooks and draw the mechanisms and the equations out over and over. You should also just read the official textbook to understand the chemistry of mechanisms.
Then you should do as many practice questions as possible and learn the chemistry.

I said this a few times on TSR but i'll say it again. I got 90% in the organic chem parts of my AS and A2 level. I suck at maths because I did not take it at A level so I got B grades in physical chem. Overall i got an A in chemistry A level. I keep getting 80-90% in the final year exams at my university.

Trust me. People who do not revise chemistry like I stated do rubbish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I'm doing A2 (new spec), and you probably did the paper I did at AS as a mock - unfortunately, you're taking the most painful exam board for chem and bio since A Levels were reformed; their papers used to be easy prior, now they're awful.

What did you get at AS? And any tips? I've seen the questions from papers prior to 2016 (my teacher pulls questions from lots of different papers for each topic to make into a test for each one) I think the new spec is far too difficult and think it's u fair for them to make it this hard! Hopefully I'll end up doing okay though!
Original post by Johne00
That's what I do also! I don't have the revision guide though, does it help a lot? Or is it not worth it (as I already have the textbook!)
Okay awesome I'll check him out!

The revision guide is just there if you can't be bothered to go through all the details in the textbook haha
Reply 11
Original post by 06moca1
Never ever write out notes for chemistry. This is not biology. What you should do is buy notebooks and draw the mechanisms and the equations out over and over. You should also just read the official textbook to understand the chemistry of mechanisms.
Then you should do as many practice questions as possible and learn the chemistry.

I said this a few times on TSR but i'll say it again. I got 90% in the organic chem parts of my AS and A2 level. I suck at maths because I did not take it at A level so I got B grades. Overall i got an A in chemistry A level. I keep getting 80-90% in the final year exams at my university.

Trust me. People who do not revise chemistry like I stated do rubbish.

Okay thank you! I'm the same I'm finding unit 2 (the organic chem) far easier than unit 1, because I'm not great at maths either.
So, the best thing I can do is write out the equations over and over and practice questions?
Original post by Johne00
What did you get at AS? And any tips? I've seen the questions from papers prior to 2016 (my teacher pulls questions from lots of different papers for each topic to make into a test for each one) I think the new spec is far too difficult and think it's u fair for them to make it this hard! Hopefully I'll end up doing okay though!

I had an A.

Grade boundaries were very low, slightly above 50% for an A in U1, and 50% exactly in U2.
Reply 13
I had an A.

Grade boundaries were very low, slightly above 50% for an A in U1, and 50% exactly in U2.

Do you think they'll still be pretty low this year??
Original post by Johne00
Okay thank you! I'm the same I'm finding unit 2 (the organic chem) far easier than unit 1, because I'm not great at maths either.
So, the best thing I can do is write out the equations over and over and practice questions?

Ye pretty much. Chemistry is just practice and understanding. In fact, chemistry and maths has the same revision style. That's why it's easier to get really high grades in chemistry. There's a reason why I keep on picking organic chemistry as a module during my Biochemistry degree.
Original post by Johne00
Do you think they'll still be pretty low this year??

Sorry, that was bio, but chemistry was low too. Low 40s out of 80 for an A.

Umm, the thing is, there will be people older than you resitting the paper and inflating the boundaries. With us, we had the advantage of no retakers, so that may have lowered the boundaries.

If you are very good at chemistry, the new spec is ideal, as it lets you get ridiculously high UMS scores - it's bad for the weaker students as they go through a streak of being unable to answer any questions.

I can't predict what the boundaries will be, but if everyone come out complaining like what happened in mine, then they'll likely be low.
Sorry, that was bio, but chemistry was low too. Low 40s out of 80 for an A.

Umm, the thing is, there will be people older than you resitting the paper and inflating the boundaries. With us, we had the advantage of no retakers, so that may have lowered the boundaries.

If you are very good at chemistry, the new spec is ideal, as it lets you get ridiculously high UMS scores - it's bad for the weaker students as they go through a streak of being unable to answer any questions.

I can't predict what the boundaries will be, but if everyone come out complaining like what happened in mine, then they'll likely be low.

wait what did you say about biology grade boundaries - 50% for an A????
Original post by honour

It was around 50% for an A in both exams at AS last year
Reply 18
Original post by honour

yeah it was 42/80 for an A in unit 1
40/80 for an A in unit 2
Original post by honour
Were the grade boundaries similar in 2015/2014? I always thought it was 80% marks for an A. Also are we talking about WJEC Biology?

Its 80% UMS marks for an A, not 80% on the paper itself - that varies every year.

Nope, wasn't similar, and yes, WJEC biology

Quick Reply

Latest