The Student Room Group

Guys how do you structure your RE answers for an A*

In the past Ive gotten As in one off tests but I dont want to risk chancing it, so can someone tell me how they get A* in RE for each question abcd. And what they write Im on Edexcel btw plus since its most of our first exams we might aswell..
I sat the early entry for edexcel RE when I was in year 10 (I'm now in year 12) and it's been a while! I can't give you a complete breakdown of the questions, but I'd just say look on the internet (particularly YouTube - search for Edexcel RE example questions, or how to answer). There are some great, if slightly patronising videos on there, such as Mrs Cox's that should be of some use. If all else fails, email or speak to your teacher. Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
Original post by Popsiclez
In the past Ive gotten As in one off tests but I dont want to risk chancing it, so can someone tell me how they get A* in RE for each question abcd. And what they write Im on Edexcel btw plus since its most of our first exams we might aswell..

Write fully rounded answers. Write succinctly; using Theological jargon. State the point; both (or more) sides of the argument. And always conclude taking in both sides of the argument. Its hard to say, thats the best I can do!

:smile:
Reply 3
Thanks but Im preferably looking for someone whos experienced first hand to break it all down in depth each question.
Reply 4
Thanks but Im preferably looking for someone whos experienced first hand to break it all down in depth each question.

i did R.E edexcel last year and got full marks in both papers - A*

part a) learn the definition word by word from the specification and you are guaranteed full marks. i made revision cards for key words for each topic which took a while but was definitely worth it. Basically by the exam you need to be able to recite every single key word from memory.

part b) Say at the beginning 'yes i believe that because' or 'no i don't believe that because' and follow with 2 reasons, marking them with 'firstly' and 'secondly'. You have to make it personal so you need to have the word 'I' in there somewhere- do not sit on the fence!

part c) make 4 points answering the question and try and throw in a couple of religious quotes/ specific examples. Each point should be a separate paragraph to make it easy for the examiner, but they only need to be a few lines long: not a huge essay!

part d) like part b state at the beginning 'yes I support because' or 'no I do not support because' and follow with 3 reasons, marking them with 'firstly', 'secondly' and 'thirdly' - you only need to write a sentence or two for each reason as they don't really need to be explained fully, but you must include as much religion as you can - at the minimum 1/3 points but better to include 2. Then in the opposing view put at the beginning 'people may disagree with me because' and then 3 reasons again (with religion).

R.E isn't like english- you don't have to be all fancy with your writing: follow this formula and you are guaranteed an A* as long as you have the knowledge to back it up (obviously!)

Hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Are these the old spec Edexcel RE exams? This is how I structured my answers

a) [2 marks] These questions can be asked in two ways

Define a key word- simple skill, just learn the definitions straight off the specification and re write accordingly in the exam.

Give examples of certain words. For example give two examples of moral evil. Use common sense in these questions and select two. For example for moral evil, murder, war, rape etc.

b) [4 marks] One sided argument point about a certain topic

Make a point and explain this point by using the word 'and' to support the argument with another argument. Add more 'ands' to each point to explain it. Use examples in real life and bible teachings as supporting points. Most importantly, do two separate points which are fully explained using the 'and' as a way of linking points to examples, bible sources, news and other points.

c) [8 marks] Where you are asked to describe points for and against a topic, or one side of a particular argument, explaining and describing certain practises in an essay form.

In 8 markers, I recommend doing 4-5 explained points about each argument. Make a point, explain the point and if necessary add a real world example to add more depth to answer although a simple explanation will do perfectly fine. Write in continuous prose with good spelling, punctuation and grammar. Importantly, make sure key words like Bible and other terminology is spelt perfectly or you could risk losing a chunk of the 4 SPaG marks.

d) [ 3 marks one side, 3 marks the other] Usually given a quote, asked to explain person views and why others may disagree with your view

It is important in these that you use 3 simple points with very minor ( if any ) explanation. Use a religious argument in at least one of the points on each side and make sure you don't mess up which side of a quote you're on.

Timing wise, I recommend spending about 20 minutes on each section so you have time to check answers at the end. Do the correct question and cross out the whole question you aren't doing so no mix-ups occur which can cost you loads of marks. Make sure you've addressed religious points, give balanced arguments for 8 markers ( if asked to do both sides) and don't panic with the d type questions. Sometimes, they could be confusing points set out in weird contexts. You just need to apply your skills and use common sense, real world examples and some Bible quotes. If you follow these conventions, the exams should go really well and you would be well on your way to an A*.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tea2345
i did R.E edexcel last year and got full marks in both papers - A*

part a) learn the definition word by word from the specification and you are guaranteed full marks. i made revision cards for key words for each topic which took a while but was definitely worth it. Basically by the exam you need to be able to recite every single key word from memory.

part b) Say at the beginning 'yes i believe that because' or 'no i don't believe that because' and follow with 2 reasons, marking them with 'firstly' and 'secondly'. You have to make it personal so you need to have the word 'I' in there somewhere- do not sit on the fence!

part c) make 4 points answering the question and try and throw in a couple of religious quotes/ specific examples. Each point should be a separate paragraph to make it easy for the examiner, but they only need to be a few lines long: not a huge essay!

part d) like part b state at the beginning 'yes I support because' or 'no I do not support because' and follow with 3 reasons, marking them with 'firstly', 'secondly' and 'thirdly' - you only need to write a sentence or two for each reason as they don't really need to be explained fully, but you must include as much religion as you can - at the minimum 1/3 points but better to include 2. Then in the opposing view put at the beginning 'people may disagree with me because' and then 3 reasons again (with religion).

R.E isn't like english- you don't have to be all fancy with your writing: follow this formula and you are guaranteed an A* as long as you have the knowledge to back it up (obviously!)

Hope this helps!

Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Are these the old spec Edexcel RE exams? This is how I structured my answers

a) [2 marks] These questions can be asked in two ways

Define a key word- simple skill, just learn the definitions straight off the specification and re write accordingly in the exam.

Give examples of certain words. For example give two examples of moral evil. Use common sense in these questions and select two. For example for moral evil, murder, war, rape etc.

b) [4 marks] One sided argument point about a certain topic

Make a point and explain this point by using the word 'and' to support the argument with another argument. Add more 'ands' to each point to explain it. Use examples in real life and bible teachings as supporting points. Most importantly, do two separate points which are fully explained using the 'and' as a way of linking points to examples, bible sources, news and other points.

c) [8 marks] Where you are asked to describe points for and against a topic, or one side of a particular argument, explaining and describing certain practises in an essay form.

In 8 markers, I recommend doing 4-5 explained points about each argument. Make a point, explain the point and if necessary add a real world example to add more depth to answer although a simple explanation will do perfectly fine. Write in continuous prose with good spelling, punctuation and grammar. Importantly, make sure key words like Bible and other terminology is spelt perfectly or you could risk losing a chunk of the 4 SPaG marks.

d) [ 3 marks one side, 3 marks the other] Usually given a quote, asked to explain person views and why others may disagree with your view

It is important in these that you use 3 simple points with very minor ( if any ) explanation. Use a religious argument in at least one of the points on each side and make sure you don't mess up which side of a quote you're on.

Timing wise, I recommend spending about 20 minutes on each section so you have time to check answers at the end. Do the correct question and cross out the whole question you aren't doing so no mix-ups occur which can cost you loads of marks. Make sure you've addressed religious points, give balanced arguments for 8 markers ( if asked to do both sides) and don't panic with the d type questions. Sometimes, they could be confusing points set out in weird contexts. You just need to apply your skills and use common sense, real world examples and some Bible quotes. If you follow these conventions, the exams should go really well and you would be well on your way to an A*.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for, you know for the quotes and how you have to give evidence/example does it always have to be a bible quote or can it be in general too, especially for unit .3, also how much bible quotes should I remember?
Reply 7
Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for, you know for the quotes and how you have to give evidence/example does it always have to be a bible quote or can it be in general too, especially for unit .3, also how much bible quotes should I remember?

I can't remember what unit 3 is, but I always made sure I put a bible quote in. I'm not even kidding when I say that I literally only used 'love thy neighbour', 'thou shall not kill' and the Golden Rule in the majority of my answers. You can get away with not knowing many - just learn the ones that can be applied to lots of different contexts.
For 12 Mark Questions:
Use as many quotes as possible but explain what they mean and how they relate to the question.
1st paragraph = For the question / supporting it
2nd paragraph = Alternative point of view
3rd paragraph (optional) = Religious view (can be included in the prior paragraphs)
4th paragraph = My view

This is called FARM.

Hope I helped!
A) you give a definition and its worth 2 marks

B) two paragraphs explaining YOUR OPINION ONLY 4 marks
Label the paragraphs like this
1)

2)

C) 4 points to do with the question since its 8 marks
Set it out like this
1)

2)

3)

4)

D) you give 3 arguments for and 3 arguments against PEE paragraphs set your paragraphs like this

Points for/against
1)
2)
3)

Points against/for
1)
2)
3)
Reply 10
Original post by Tea2345
I can't remember what unit 3 is, but I always made sure I put a bible quote in. I'm not even kidding when I say that I literally only used 'love thy neighbour', 'thou shall not kill' and the Golden Rule in the majority of my answers. You can get away with not knowing many - just learn the ones that can be applied to lots of different contexts.

Ok thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest