The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure I have many but one that particularly comes to mind is lanes. Especially at big roundabouts where the road just kept dividing into different sections. Also living in area known as donut town you could never go anywhere without passing through a few roundabouts 😭
Original post by Aztec Chic
I'm sure I have many but one that particularly comes to mind is lanes. Especially at big roundabouts where the road just kept dividing into different sections. Also living in area known as donut town you could never go anywhere without passing through a few roundabouts 😭

Exact same with me lol. Theres so many roundabouts in my area & one huge one
My city is roundabout central too! There's so many big ones going out of the centre and the towns surrounding the city. The test centre is just outside the city so the routes are all based around the big roundabouts and crazy busy roads leading in and out of the city.
Passed my test first time on Tuesday so it's all good. Just gotta try avoid them now 😂

Passed my test first time on Tuesday so it's all good. Just gotta try avoid them now 😂

Well done :biggrin:

The big traffic light roundabouts with numerous lanes are pretty easy tbh, most of them are the same. You've gotta look at the road sign that shows which lanes go where - then, say, the way you wanna go is the 4th exit. Approach the roundabout in the 4th lane (or furthest right if there's less than 4). Then as you pass the line for the first traffic lights, gradually "move" over to the 3rd lane for when you reach the next traffic lights. Then as you pass the next traffic light line, move over to the 2nd lane. Then the left lane, then take your exit.

I say "move" because you're not actually changing lanes as such, you're keeping your lane really. It's just that the far left lane goes off at the next exit and then a new lane is introduced on the right for people continuing round the roundabout. As I said above, some roundabouts have less lanes than exits and you just have to stick to the far right lane when there are less lanes than the lane number you want to be in, and you might get the odd roundabout that for whatever reason is different, but the key is to approach every traffic light roundabout the same and keep an eye on the text in the lane markings.

Hope that wasn't confusing!
Driving test Thursday - Not confident at all on bay parking

Fratres, 3 weeks from now i will be harvesting my crops, picture where you will be and it shall be so
Hold the line! Stay with me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-

Fratres, 3 weeks from now i will be harvesting my crops, picture where you will be and it shall be so

Good luck!
Practice a bay park in the hour before your test and I'm sure you'll be fine
Got my driving test at half 1 on Wednesday and I am literally dying from anxiety about it. I know it's not a good mindset to go into it with but I can guarantee I'm going to have a breakdown on the bypass islands near my test centre. Had a penultimate lesson today and it was the worst I've ever driven. Feel like I'm totally not ready and about to waste over £120 quid on one day I know I'm not prepared for. /pessimism lol
Good luck to those taking their test this week! :smile:

Remember with Bay parking you are allowed to position your outside mirror facing towards the base of the car in order to see where the lines are, and this also applies for reversing into a road in order to see where the kerb is (Just remember to do it just before you are going to do the manoeuvre and not whilst you are doing the manoeuvre). When bay parking it is always good to over-steer than under-steer so that you can fix the problem easily.

Good luck with your test! :smile:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Remember with Bay parking you are allowed to position your outside mirror facing towards the base of the car in order to see where the lines are, and this also applies for reversing into a road in order to see where the kerb is (Just remember to do it just before you are going to do the manoeuvre and not whilst you are doing the manoeuvre). When bay parking it is always good to over-steer than under-steer so that you can fix the problem easily.

Good luck with your test! :smile:

Good advice that I lowered my.mirrors I could see the lines earlier today and it was easier. Thanks
Good advice that I lowered my.mirrors I could see the lines earlier today and it was easier. Thanks

No problems :smile:

If it helps, search up "Bay parking" on YouTube, and watch World Driving's video on bay parking makes the approach a lot simpler in my opinion.

Would link it but it doesn't let me on here :frown:
No problems :smile:

If it helps, search up "Bay parking" on YouTube, and watch World Driving's video on bay parking makes the approach a lot simpler in my opinion.

Would link it but it doesn't let me on here :frown:

Will check it out 👍
Original post by kate113855
Got my driving test at half 1 on Wednesday and I am literally dying from anxiety about it. I know it's not a good mindset to go into it with but I can guarantee I'm going to have a breakdown on the bypass islands near my test centre. Had a penultimate lesson today and it was the worst I've ever driven. Feel like I'm totally not ready and about to waste over £120 quid on one day I know I'm not prepared for. /pessimism lol

Good luck for your driving test :smile:, I remember my driving instructor told me I was going to fail my test 'big time' just before my test, and I passed with 1 minor. Don't let the nerves get to you, remember the examiner is a human like yourself and probably likes to chat a lot!
Good luck for your driving test :smile:, I remember my driving instructor told me I was going to fail my test 'big time' just before my test, and I passed with 1 minor. Don't let the nerves get to you, remember the examiner is a human like yourself and probably likes to chat a lot!

Oh wow that's bad that your instructor told you that just before you took your test. But well done for proving him/her wrong by passing with one minor! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
where the front and back of the car are.
Original post by ohhello92x
Oh wow that's bad that your instructor told you that just before you took your test. But well done for proving him/her wrong by passing with one minor! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha thank you! :smile:
Ahaha thank you! :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so happy right now! Only just gone and passed my test with 6 minors!

I've had the SAME examiner three times in a row, I genuinely thought i failed again today!

So glad I didn't give up otherwise I wouldn't be of passed! To anyone who is thinking of quiting, don't do it!!!
Original post by shanj0nes
I'm so happy right now! Only just gone and passed my test with 6 minors!

I've had the SAME examiner three times in a row, I genuinely thought i failed again today!

So glad I didn't give up otherwise I wouldn't be of passed! To anyone who is thinking of quiting, don't do it!!!

Congratulations !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending