The Student Room Group

I decided late to go for Vet Med, do I still have a chance?

I only decided I wanted to study Vet Medicine last summer, and have been trying to get work experience sorted. I know for certain its what I want to go into, but I keep worrying that I won't have enough experience or that I won't get an offer from anywhere. I'm currently in year 12 so I'm applying soon, so far I've done one week small animal, one week farm, one week rescue centre (only cats and rabbits there, would this count as a cattery?) and I have another small animal, one week equine vet planned and am going to apply for one week at the donkey sanctuary and kennels. I know I shouldn't do this, but I keep comparing myself to other people who have loads more work experience (like, over a year on a farm and lots of vet etc) and I'm worried that with all my extra-curricular stuff, EPQ and A level studying I won't be successful. Are there any vet students here who've gotten in on the minimum requirements, or have any advice about what else is essential or whats in the interview etc? I feel like I know nothing and I'm far behind, help me please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -nightfury-
I only decided I wanted to study Vet Medicine last summer, and have been trying to get work experience sorted. I know for certain its what I want to go into, but I keep worrying that I won't have enough experience or that I won't get an offer from anywhere. I'm currently in year 12 so I'm applying soon, so far I've done one week small animal, one week farm, one week rescue centre (only cats and rabbits there, would this count as a cattery?) and I have another small animal, one week equine vet planned and am going to apply for one week at the donkey sanctuary and kennels. I know I shouldn't do this, but I keep comparing myself to other people who have loads more work experience (like, over a year on a farm and lots of vet etc) and I'm worried that with all my extra-curricular stuff, EPQ and A level studying I won't be successful. Are there any vet students here who've gotten in on the minimum requirements, or have any advice about what else is essential or whats in the interview etc? I feel like I know nothing and I'm far behind, help me please!

You have all summer, time isn't running out

Well, it is, but time hasn't ran out :biggrin:
Check each individual university on what the requirements are for work experience, however you've still got time. Liverpool is the one where you need a fair amount of work experience, however students have gotten places with the minimum requirements, the others are less fussy about work experience and rely more on the interview/personal statement when it comes to applications.

Unfortunately interview questions cannot be discussed, however general questions can be found in the interview prep thread by LTC which can give you pointers on what the interviews are like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you, I'll have another check and see what they all ask for, hopefully I'll manage to get the basics down in time although I think Liverpool now only asks for 5 weeks minimum so I've heard?
Okay thank you, I'll have another check and see what they all ask for, hopefully I'll manage to get the basics down in time although I think Liverpool now only asks for 5 weeks minimum so I've heard?

Yes it is now 5 weeks minimum however applicants to liverpool generally have in excess of 20 weeks work experience when they apply, so you have to bear in mind your competition. Liverpool don't look at the personal statements, they rely on the work experience questionnaire when choosing applicants for interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see, do you know which unis generally have a bit less competition/ focus more on the personal statement etc rather than work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see, do you know which unis generally have a bit less competition/ focus more on the personal statement etc rather than work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the others, however, you should understand that having less work experience doesn't rule you out against the competition, it just puts you at a slight disadvantage that you then have to catch up on with personal statement, questionnaires and interview. Also be aware of the Scottish/ international bias of Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Have a look at Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Surrey and RVCs websites and look at the entry requirements and see where you fit. The worse case scenario is that you don't apply this year and you take a year out, make money and gain more experience, allowing you to have a stronger application, the advantage of course being, you will know your grades and will have one less thing to worry about.

I hope that helps :smile:

Edit: And for your personal statement - send it to [email protected] we look at a lot of PSs every year and help people out with their structure etc :smile:
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
If it makes you feel better up until April of year 12 I had absolutely no work experience because I decided very late on too! You already seem like you've done a lot more that I had at this point! I was able to cram 7 weeks in between the end of my AS exams and the ucas deadline plus had an extra week planned( Bristol accepted 1 week planned work experience when I applied) they also said they to score the max point for the work experience area you needed 8 weeks (4 vet and 4 animal) and no more points/advantage were given to those with over 8 weeks. Might want to check if it's changed though! My advice would be, you might as well apply and if you don't get any offers take a year out to gain more work experience and apply again! I managed to get and offer from Bristol with only 7 weeks so don't give up hope and don't let anyone else put you off! ☺️
Reply 9
I also decided late, I decided I wanted to pursue veterinary at the end of year 12!

I realised I would not be able to build a strong enough application by October year 13 so decided on a gap year.

Between December and October 2016 I completed 6 weeks W/E had had organised a further 3 weeks for my gap year.

I applied to UoN, RVC, Surrey and Bristol for vet med. I was interviewed by UoN, Surrey and RVC and surprisingly got offers from all 3!

Honestly you do not need bundles of work experience, as long as you have met each unis individual w/e requirements and grades you are in for a chance of being considered for interview. I am not saying do the bare minimum but don't stress too much if you don't have like 4 months WE like some people. It is not all about quantity it is also about the quality of WE and what skills you have gained and what you have learned from your time there, also being able to communicate this effectively and insightfully in your PS.
I think something that helped me was having a part-time job at a wedding venue throughout my A level studies, which allowed me to develop interpersonal skills which are incredibly valuable to a vet. Also I have a near full time job on my gap year at a food shop which means I am having to deal with the public everyday.

Also, the vet schools look for other interests outside of veterinary for example I played hockey and am involved in a Top Fuel Bike Drag Racing team.

Furthernore, showing an independent interest in science and veterinary medicine helps - e.g. research projects etc.

Anyway if you have any more Qs just ask!

Good luck!
Reply 10
Not in Scotland
Reply 11
Original post by Eilidhsimon
Not in Scotland

What about Scotland?
Reply 12
Original post by Al K
What about Scotland?

The answer to the question
Reply 13
The answer to the question

Why not in Scotland?
Reply 14
Original post by Al K
Why not in Scotland?

Too much competition
Too much competition

I got an offer for glasgow and I did all of my work experience the summer before applying, so thats not necessarily true - in saying that I am not a Scottish national (because I believe its harder for Scottish students to get places in Scottish universities etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Banana fana
I got an offer for glasgow and I did all of my work experience the summer before applying, so thats not necessarily true - in saying that I am not a Scottish national (because I believe its harder for Scottish students to get places in Scottish universities etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I thought I read somewhere it was harder for non-Scottish nationals to get a place?
Reply 17
Too much competition

I think competition at all vet schools is relatively high though isn't it?

Perhaps there is more competition I don't know, I didn't apply to them so I wouldn't know.

I know Nottingham said they had approx 1800 applicants for 155 places. RVC about 1300, unsure of the others.
Reply 18
Original post by Banana fana

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I mean, because we don't pay tuition fees a limited number of spaces are available so international and english students are favoured to pay for us
Reply 19
Original post by Al K
I think competition at all vet schools is relatively high though isn't it?

Perhaps there is more competition I don't know, I didn't apply to them so I wouldn't know.

I know Nottingham said they had approx 1800 applicants for 155 places. RVC about 1300, unsure of the others.

For Edinburgh uni only around 50 Scottish students are accepted in not sure about Glasgow but I think it would be similar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending