The Student Room Group

Civil service outside the fast stream

Hi all,

Earlier this year I withdrew my application to the fast stream for various reasons (which I can expand on if necessary). I'm working for a charity at the moment and previously did an internship in the fast stream.

Recently I've been thinking that I'd like to go back to the civil service in the near future. I definitely want to stay at my current job for at least a year, but much more than that I think I will start thinking about my other options. My current role is an 'Officer' role earning just above average fast stream salary, and I get quite a lot of responsibility in my job, although not as much as you'd get in a lot of private sector roles obviously.

My question is, after a year in this role, what types of jobs could I reasonably apply to at the civil service? I'm really hoping to go for HEO level as any less than this I would be taking a pay and responsibility cut. I know salary isn't everything but it is quite a big motivator for me (as much as it can be for someone who doesn't work in the private sector) and it's important to me that the salary I have doesn't leave me worrying about living costs. However I recognise that the civil service is very competitive and there will be people with many years of experience applying to the HEO roles, probably people with longer experience in a civil service role as well.

So is HEO realistic? What kind of things would make it more achievable for me?
Personally, I would go for HEO posts but also EO posts. Lots of HEo posts advertised are only advertised internally so your opportunities to apply increase once in the civil service.
I'm getting pretty long in the tooth in comparison to many others on this site. Ive had a teaching career where I worked up to senior leadership team, followed by managing a team within a charity and then working at a higher level within a local authority. None of the jobs I had since leaving teaching where permanent so I applied for the fast stream, got to London but didn't get past that stage. Then a permanent EO post came up, I went for it and got it. I am enjoying it, my team are great and I'm learning a lot abut the civil service as a whole whilst at the same time looking for development opportunities. Its a great way in. Although you may be earning less, the DWP in the new pay deal are giving a £1100 pay increase every year over 4 years for EO s plus bonus for achieving the middle or high appraisal box markings.
Original post by roflcakes1
Hi all,

Earlier this year I withdrew my application to the fast stream for various reasons (which I can expand on if necessary). I'm working for a charity at the moment and previously did an internship in the fast stream.

Recently I've been thinking that I'd like to go back to the civil service in the near future. I definitely want to stay at my current job for at least a year, but much more than that I think I will start thinking about my other options. My current role is an 'Officer' role earning just above average fast stream salary, and I get quite a lot of responsibility in my job, although not as much as you'd get in a lot of private sector roles obviously.

My question is, after a year in this role, what types of jobs could I reasonably apply to at the civil service? I'm really hoping to go for HEO level as any less than this I would be taking a pay and responsibility cut. I know salary isn't everything but it is quite a big motivator for me (as much as it can be for someone who doesn't work in the private sector) and it's important to me that the salary I have doesn't leave me worrying about living costs. However I recognise that the civil service is very competitive and there will be people with many years of experience applying to the HEO roles, probably people with longer experience in a civil service role as well.

So is HEO realistic? What kind of things would make it more achievable for me?

What's your background? I know plenty about EO/HEO level jobs in the analytical professions of the civil service (much less so about the others!)

Quick Reply