The Student Room Group

Structure of earth

What produces the heat at the centre of the earth?
poo poo
nobody really knows, but it is probably due to a combination of magnetic fields and radioactivity.
Original post by Pravandi
What produces the heat at the centre of the earth?

The formation of the Earth.
Radioactive decay
Original post by 0100100101001101
Radioactive decay

Original post by the bear
nobody really knows, but it is probably due to a combination of magnetic fields and radioactivity.

It's from the Earth forming, the core is unlikely to be made from radioactive elements because it isn't dense enough. There's also the dynamo effect (which creates the magnetic fields) but Christ if this is expected to be known at GCSE and I obviously don't know how that affects heat created.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pravandi
What produces the heat at the centre of the earth?[/QUOT
maybe nuclear reactions.
Original post by Vikingninja
It's from the Earth forming, the core is unlikely to be made from radioactive elements because it isn't dense enough. There's also the dynamo effect (which creates the magnetic fields) but Christ if this is expected to be known at GCSE and I obviously don't know how that affects heat created.

True.
I'm pretty sure at GCSE you only need to say Radioactive Decay - that's what I was taught in Geography.
Screenshot 2017-04-09 19.48.45.png
True.
I'm pretty sure at GCSE you only need to say Radioactive Decay - that's what I was taught in Geography.

Screenshot 2017-04-09 19.48.45.png

Yeah 1 would be correct for the core but heat from radioactive elements more applies to the mantle and crust and because of how heat transfer works the heat from that would travel away from the core.

Quick Reply

Latest