The Student Room Group

Driving test. 40 hours and not really getting anywhere

I stared off a complete novice and I've improved. The AA mark you out of 1-6. 6 being independent and ready to take your test. I'm now on 5 for everything and stared with th AA on 3. So while I'm improving I can't seem to get to passing standard, where I could actually take my test.

I can drive around fine and do all the manourvers but my instructor has to prompt me with things. If I was on my own I'd make errors.

I'm not ready to take my test but I've been at this stage for 10 hours of lessons now and I can't seem to get to the independent stage.

He said it's just practice now but I can't practice as I have no access to a car and can't afford insurance or to buy one.

I need to be able to drive for my job so it's important I can learn asap.

I've been learning for over a year now at one hour a week and I'm wondering if I'd have been better doing an intensive course.

How long from prompting to fully independent do you think? I'm 28.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe it would be a good idea to insure your own car so that you can drive with someone else and build your independence?
Have you booked a test? I would suggest booking one and then having as many hours as you can afford between now and your test. 1 hour a week is ok but it's not going to improve your road ability in the same way that someone who can drive every day will improve. Booking the test as a target is a great motivator.
Original post by _Harry998
Maybe it would be a good idea to insure your own car so that you can drive with someone else and build your independence?

Also I would really recommend taking two hours a week, one means that you don't have much time to actually learn and this means that you will forget the stuff quickly. I had two hours a week and i passed first time under 2 months
Reply 4
Book the test ASAP, the waiting list is long usually a month or two. In that time you may develop and if you don't feel ready you can cancel or change the date
Original post by thedevotchka
Have you booked a test? I would suggest booking one and then having as many hours as you can afford between now and your test. 1 hour a week is ok but it's not going to improve your road ability in the same way that someone who can drive every day will improve. Booking the test as a target is a great motivator.

I agree.
I did 1 hour a week when i did driving lessons and i think i would have benefited from more, like 2 a week or something.
What errors are you making? What is it that you struggle the most with?

Also, do you always have lessons at the same time of the day? Try doing two hours a week but maybe one in the morning and one in the evening? But your instructor is right, it is all practice now, and the truth is even invented you pass your test you will still be learning and practicing, but on your own.
Original post by Mezza362
I stared off a complete novice and I've improved. The AA mark you out of 1-6. 6 being independent and ready to take your test. I'm now on 5 for everything and stared with th AA on 3. So while I'm improving I can't seem to get to passing standard, where I could actually take my test.

I can drive around fine and do all the manourvers but my instructor has to prompt me with things. If I was on my own I'd make errors.

I'm not ready to take my test but I've been at this stage for 10 hours of lessons now and I can't seem to get to the independent stage.

He said it's just practice now but I can't practice as I have no access to a car and can't afford insurance or to buy one.

I need to be able to drive for my job so it's important I can learn asap.

I've been learning for over a year now at one hour a week and I'm wondering if I'd have been better doing an intensive course.

How long from prompting to fully independent do you think? I'm 28.

Original post by _Harry998

I agree with Harry here, insure yourself on a relatives car or your car, and drive independently; whether it'd be to the shops and back or just around town. Taking out an insurance policy is cheaper than taking driving lessons, so if you've got the basics just apply them to your private training, but remember not to pick up any bad habits!

A good insurance company for learner drivers is Collingwood Insurance, they provide a cheap insurance for learner drivers and also allow you to build up a NCB.

Also go onto YouTube and search up "World Driving", I used to watch his techniques before I did my driving test and his videos helped more than the tuition I was getting from my instructor!
One hour per week isn't enough IMO, too much rust settles in. I've been driving for 4 years now and if I don't drive for a week it feels weird when I get back in the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending