The Student Room Group

HELP ME PLEASE - questions about A level retakes etc

Anyone familiar with A-level system. I have a few questions regarding A-level, colleges,

1. Can I retake my AS exams even if I pass but not happy with my results?
a. If so, when are the retake exams?
2. What are the exam dates? Are all exams in May/June?
3. Can I still apply for colleges after application deadlines have passed?
4. Can I take my physics and economics AS levels this year, and for next year take one intensive a-level as well as taking my physics and economics A2 level?
a bit of background:

I'm home schooled taking maths, physics and economics. sitting the summer examinations this year. however I dont feel confident enough to take my maths exam this year. i was wondering whether I should just take an intensive maths a level next year or if i should take my exam, get a grade im not happy with, retake, and take A2 next year.
also does anyone know if any colleges accept admissions after their application deadlines?
i know it was really long but i would honestly REALLY appreciate any help!!
thank you <3
Hiya - I can possibly help with a couple of these:

1- Yes. Definitely with Modular A-levels and I'm not too sure about Linear ones. I take Classics, and I'm re-sitting a paper from last year in an attempt to get a higher grade. The papers will be the same date as everyone else doing that paper for the first time.
2 - All in May/June. AS exams are typically earlier, so most likely late May.
Original post by reyhanreyhan
Anyone familiar with A-level system. I have a few questions regarding A-level, colleges,

4. Can I take my physics and economics AS levels this year, and for next year take one intensive a-level as well as taking my physics and economics A2 level?

Q1.) With modular subjects such as Maths,Law and GovPol. If you get a grade you don't like you can retake that module along with A2 the next year. (Same time as normal exams). These will be linear next year.

Other subjects are linear so you would just take the subject to A2 and thats the grade that would count

If you do very bad in AS Levels like (DDDD,EEEE etc.) Youcould retake the whole of year 12

For Q4. That is possible but you would have to ask your school/college

Q2.) Exams are in May/June

You should have faith in yourself and do maths alongside physics+economics. Put the work in day 1 and the maths will help you a lot with physics qnd physics help with maths
(edited 7 years ago)
1) It depends on what specification you are using - but, as this is your first attempt at AS/A-Level exams, you should be able to resit. Maths will be running on the old system still, so you'll definitely be able to resit Maths. (You could also resit Maths AS with the Maths A2 - its quite common, and most will do much better)
2) Yeah, all exams should be in May/June
3) Technically, yes. Normally this is by contacting the universities and going through clearing. That said, if you are doing your AS units now, there shouldn't be an issue with missing the deadline
4) This depends on the course. Most subjects have since moved into a linear 2 year course, where the AS is optional and doesn't impact on your A-level grade, instead of the old system of 1-year AS, 1-year A2. You'll need to find out whether or not Physics and Economics are still using the old system or if they've moved over to the 2-year A-Level.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Q1.) With modular subjects such as Maths,Law and GovPol. If you get a grade you don't like you can retake that module along with A2 the next year. (Same time as normal exams). These will be linear next year.

Other subjects are linear so you would just take the subject to A2 and thats the grade that would count

If you do very bad in AS Levels like (DDDD,EEEE etc.) Youcould retake the whole of year 12

For Q4. That is possible but you would have to ask your school/college

Q2.) Exams are in May/June

thank you so much! can i still retake my exam if i dont fail? say i get a C or something?
Original post by RainbowBoy
1) It depends on what specification you are using - but, as this is your first attempt at AS/A-Level exams, you should be able to resit. Maths will be running on the old system still, so you'll definitely be able to resit Maths. (You could also resit Maths AS with the Maths A2 - its quite common, and most will do much better)
2) Yeah, all exams should be in May/June
3) Technically, yes. Normally this is by contacting the universities and going through clearing. That said, if you are doing your AS units now, there shouldn't be an issue with missing the deadline
4) This depends on the course. Most subjects have since moved into a linear 2 year course, where the AS is optional and doesn't impact on your A-level grade, instead of the old system of 1-year AS, 1-year A2. You'll need to find out whether or not Physics and Economics are still using the old system or if they've moved over to the 2-year A-Level.

thank you! i appreciate your help
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Hiya - I can possibly help with a couple of these:

1- Yes. Definitely with Modular A-levels and I'm not too sure about Linear ones. I take Classics, and I'm re-sitting a paper from last year in an attempt to get a higher grade. The papers will be the same date as everyone else doing that paper for the first time.
2 - All in May/June. AS exams are typically earlier, so most likely late May.

thank you for your help! :smile:
thank you so much! can i still retake my exam if i dont fail? say i get a C or something?

As physics and economics are linear that means that when you get a C it only matters for predicted grades. You would take those subjects to A2 and in A2 1 paper will be AS content. Since the course is linear.

Then what you get in A2 will be your grade. Tehnicqlly you cant retake the paper but the A2 exams are going to test you on AS+A2 knowledge
Original post by SuperHuman98
As physics and economics are linear that means that when you get a C it only matters for predicted grades. You would take those subjects to A2 and in A2 1 paper will be AS content. Since the course is linear.

Then what you get in A2 will be your grade. Tehnicqlly you cant retake the paper but the A2 exams are going to test you on AS+A2 knowledge

ohhh. alright.. thank you :h:

There is no point in doing this for linear A levels (which include Physics and Economics). In fact there is no need to take AS at all, you can just take the A level exams whenever you are ready.

If you re-sit/re-take then you just do the exams the next year. The exams are the same regardless of whether you are re-sitting or taking them for the first time.

Yes. Look on exam board websites for dates - provisional timetables for Summer 2018 are already there.

Depends on each college and exactly when you apply.

Yes but there is no need to take AS this year, you could just take A level next year (A2 no longer exists as a concept).
I'm home schooled taking maths, physics and economics. sitting the summer examinations this year. however I dont feel confident enough to take my maths exam this year. i was wondering whether I should just take an intensive maths a level next year or if i should take my exam, get a grade im not happy with, retake, and take A2 next year.

As maths is still modular it would be worth taking as many units as you are ready for this Summer, to get them out of the way, or giving them all a go and just re-sitting what you need to next year.

As Physics and Economics are linear and Maths is not then Maths ought to be your priority to take this Summer as anything you do do well on will save you exams next year whereas taking Physics and Economics this Summer will not save you from taking anything next year.
Original post by Compost
As maths is still modular it would be worth taking as many units as you are ready for this Summer, to get them out of the way, or giving them all a go and just re-sitting what you need to next year.

As Physics and Economics are linear and Maths is not then Maths ought to be your priority to take this Summer as anything you do do well on will save you exams next year whereas taking Physics and Economics this Summer will not save you from taking anything next year.

okayy thank you so much!
Original post by Compost

i know physics is linear. but I'm taking economics with the CIE board. im pretty sure its modular (?)
i know physics is linear. but I'm taking economics with the CIE board. im pretty sure its modular (?)

Have never had to deal with CIE A levels as they're not something done by state schools in England so i don't know.
Original post by Compost
Have never had to deal with CIE A levels as they're not something done by state schools in England so i don't know.

oh i see, thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest