The Student Room Group

Jekyll and Hyde help urgent plz

Can someone please give me 2 quotes for the character of Utterson and a in depth analysis. Thanks!
Reply 1
I have not completed my study on the novella so I am not sure what help I can give.

Utterson is a lawyer and - more important - is Jekyll's lawyer well as Danvers Carew's lawyer. That said it appears that he is more supportive to Jekyll. When Sir
Danvers is murdered Utterson knows who did it - the broken stick lying around was one he gave to jekyll. However he is aware that Hyde has disappeared and therefore Utterson decides to keep quiet. (You'ss have to search for the quote for this.) The point is that this compromises Utterson. He knows who the murderer but since he has disappeared and it is not clear what part jekyll has to play in this situation, Utterson decides to go no further.

This is in contrast to a declared objective that he has - decided just after the assault on the girl - that “If he be Mr Hyde” he thought “I shall be Mr Seek.”

Utterson is well aware of Hyde before the assault on the girl. Jekyll has already written his will and included a clause that seriously worries Utterson. in case of the decease of Henry Jekyll, M.D., D.C.L., L.L.D., F.R.S., etc., all his possessions were to pass into the hands of his “friend and benefactor Edward Hyde,” but that in case of Dr. Jekyll’s “disappearance or unexplained absence for any period exceeding three calendar months,” the said Edward Hyde should step into the said Henry Jekyll’s shoes without further delay and free from any burthen or obligation, beyond the payment of a few small sums to the members of the doctor’s household." Utterson believes that Hyde is blackmailing Jekyll - he is unaware that jekyll and Hyde are the same person.

Utterson is a very reserved person. Throughout that first conversation with Enfield - his cousin - he lets Enfield do all the talking and appears to be unaware of Hyde, even though he has already received jekyll's will and read that clause. He was a lover wine and over drank and - to compensate for this indulgence - he would
drink Gin. When drinking gin he was very reserved and kept himself to himself, when drinking wine he was very different. No surprise that on the night of Jekyll's last dinner party, jekyll provides quality wine for his guests.

Utterson's philosphy is summed up in this statement by him. “I incline to Cain’s heresy,” he used to say quaintly: “I let my brother go to the devil in his own way.” It is a strange comment - and a very selfish and cold comment and view. There is someresemblance - certainly in my mind - to Mr. Jaggers ( Miss Havisham's lawyer.)

That said Utterson is one of the central characters next in importance to jekyll and Hyde. The story is delivered through who Utterson meets with as well as what is reads. He is - in a way - the central detective in the novella. We learn the story through his eyes and experience. That said I am not convinced he lives up to his intent to be Mr. Seek. His friendship and concern for the safety and well being of Henry jekyll appears - at least to me - to be too powerful. Utterson's decision to let Hyde get away with the murder of Sir Danvers because it would cause problems for Jekyll if it was known the two were connected for me colours Uttersons
character.
Reply 2
Original post by jamesg2
I have not completed my study on the novella so I am not sure what help I can give.

Utterson is a lawyer and - more important - is Jekyll's lawyer well as Danvers Carew's lawyer. That said it appears that he is more supportive to Jekyll. When Sir
Danvers is murdered Utterson knows who did it - the broken stick lying around was one he gave to jekyll. However he is aware that Hyde has disappeared and therefore Utterson decides to keep quiet. (You'ss have to search for the quote for this.) The point is that this compromises Utterson. He knows who the murderer but since he has disappeared and it is not clear what part jekyll has to play in this situation, Utterson decides to go no further.

This is in contrast to a declared objective that he has - decided just after the assault on the girl - that “If he be Mr Hyde” he thought “I shall be Mr Seek.”

Utterson is well aware of Hyde before the assault on the girl. Jekyll has already written his will and included a clause that seriously worries Utterson. in case of the decease of Henry Jekyll, M.D., D.C.L., L.L.D., F.R.S., etc., all his possessions were to pass into the hands of his “friend and benefactor Edward Hyde,” but that in case of Dr. Jekyll’s “disappearance or unexplained absence for any period exceeding three calendar months,” the said Edward Hyde should step into the said Henry Jekyll’s shoes without further delay and free from any burthen or obligation, beyond the payment of a few small sums to the members of the doctor’s household." Utterson believes that Hyde is blackmailing Jekyll - he is unaware that jekyll and Hyde are the same person.

Utterson is a very reserved person. Throughout that first conversation with Enfield - his cousin - he lets Enfield do all the talking and appears to be unaware of Hyde, even though he has already received jekyll's will and read that clause. He was a lover wine and over drank and - to compensate for this indulgence - he would
drink Gin. When drinking gin he was very reserved and kept himself to himself, when drinking wine he was very different. No surprise that on the night of Jekyll's last dinner party, jekyll provides quality wine for his guests.

Utterson's philosphy is summed up in this statement by him. “I incline to Cain’s heresy,” he used to say quaintly: “I let my brother go to the devil in his own way.” It is a strange comment - and a very selfish and cold comment and view. There is someresemblance - certainly in my mind - to Mr. Jaggers ( Miss Havisham's lawyer.)

That said Utterson is one of the central characters next in importance to jekyll and Hyde. The story is delivered through who Utterson meets with as well as what is reads. He is - in a way - the central detective in the novella. We learn the story through his eyes and experience. That said I am not convinced he lives up to his intent to be Mr. Seek. His friendship and concern for the safety and well being of Henry jekyll appears - at least to me - to be too powerful. Utterson's decision to let Hyde get away with the murder of Sir Danvers because it would cause problems for Jekyll if it was known the two were connected for me colours Uttersons
character.

OMG thank you so so much! Have been so stuck with the character of Utterson

Quick Reply

Latest