The Student Room Group

Which pharmacy school is best for getting a hospital pre- reg?

See above.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purple.cat
Having had experience in hospital pharmacy and community pharmacy, I think hospital pharmacy appeals to me more. Which pharmacy school puts you in the best chances to get a hospital pre- registration e.g. nottingham, manchester, UCL, King's College etc

None. It doesn't matter where you come from. Your experience & performance at interview get you hospital pre-reg place. Graduates from 'lower ranked' universities have gone to do pre-reg at large teaching hospitals such as Guys & St Thomas so it's really down to you and your experience. Just because you have KCL//Manchester/ Nottingham on your name, doesn't mean you will be given priority. Especially now that the pre-reg recruitment process has changed & ultimately everyone who applies to hospital gets interviewed.
Do your research, visit the universities then pick a university where you'll be happy & will enjoy going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by velvetsky
None. It doesn't matter where you come from. Your experience & performance at interview get you hospital pre-reg place. Graduates from 'lower ranked' universities have gone to do pre-reg at large teaching hospitals such as Guys & St Thomas so it's really down to you and your experience. Just because you have KCL//Manchester/ Nottingham on your name, doesn't mean you will be given priority. Especially now that the pre-reg recruitment process has changed & ultimately everyone who applies to hospital gets interviewed.
Do your research, visit the universities then pick a university where you'll be happy & will enjoy going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This has really helped me out :smile:)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This has really helped me out :smile:)

Welcome:smile:
Had offers from Manchester & Nottingham, if you have any Qs feel free to PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having had experience in hospital pharmacy and community pharmacy, I think hospital pharmacy appeals to me more. Which pharmacy school puts you in the best chances to get a hospital pre- registration e.g. nottingham, manchester, UCL, King's College etc

I was worried about it too. I have offers from higher and lower ranked universities and I thought that the lower ranked universities will be a complete mess. However when I spoke with professors from each university I realised that some of them are even better organised than the higher ranked . Eg. (example for industrial pre-registration years which are way more competitive than hospital pre-registration placements ) MPharm portsmouth is ranked very low however this year a student from ports is doing his pre-registration year at GSK and they have also secured 2 students as pre-registration pharmacists at ASTRAZENECA and Phizer for the next year.

(non-native speaker, sorry for english mistakes!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by asp.pharm
I was worried about it too. I have offers from higher and lower ranked universities and I thought that the lower ranked universities will be a complete mess. However when I spoke with professors from each university I realised that some of them are even better organised than the higher ranked . Eg. (example for industrial pre-registration years which are way more competitive than hospital pre-registration placements ) MPharm portsmouth is ranked very low however this year a student from ports is doing his pre-registration year at GSK and they have also secured 2 students as pre-registration pharmacists at ASTRAZENECA and Phizer for the next year.

(non-native speaker, sorry for english mistakes!)

Oh wow who would have thought. Thanks a lot for this. What uni are you thinking of putting firm and insurance? :smile:
I haven't really decided yet...hehehe, it's a difficult decision
Even though I am an EU student I bought airplanes tickets for UK (thank you Ryanair for being cheap!! 😂) in order to visit the universities who offered me a place!
My firm might be Cardiff or Reading
And insurance probably Portsmouth
Good afternoon,

Here at MSoP we have a high proportion of graduates going in to hospital pre-reg years.

We were also above the national average for the pre-reg pass rate. 97% of our students passed first time, the average being 95%.

If you would like to speak to someone further, specifically with regards to pre-reg, or alternatively, if you would like to speak to a student who will be going into a hospital pre-reg this year, pop me a direct message and I can organise some contact for you.

Good luck!

Sammi :smile:
Original post by Medway School of Pharmacy
Good afternoon,

Here at MSoP we have a high proportion of graduates going in to hospital pre-reg years.

We were also above the national average for the pre-reg pass rate. 97% of our students passed first time, the average being 95%.

If you would like to speak to someone further, specifically with regards to pre-reg, or alternatively, if you would like to speak to a student who will be going into a hospital pre-reg this year, pop me a direct message and I can organise some contact for you.

Good luck!

Why don't you tell people the truth, that by the time they graduate in 2021, students will be fighting to even try and get a pre-reg place, let alone pass the exam !
The silence if deafening ! Sammi !!
Good afternoon,

Good luck!

May we see the job prospects, 1 to 2 to 5 yrs post-grad Sammi? Along with the salaries?
Let's not focus on one small annual area, lets see the full longer term picture please ?
How many graduates are still in pharmacy 5 yrs post -grad from Medway or any other Uni, or how many have gone onto Graduate Entry Medicine ? or another degree or left the profession ? Or are even unable to find work? Does Medway and other Unis have those figures? Because I would like to see them .
Original post by crazy.chemist
May we see the job prospects, 1 to 2 to 5 yrs post-grad Sammi? Along with the salaries?
Let's not focus on one small annual area, lets see the full longer term picture please ?
How many graduates are still in pharmacy 5 yrs post -grad from Medway or any other Uni, or how many have gone onto Graduate Entry Medicine ? or another degree or left the profession ? Or are even unable to find work? Does Medway and other Unis have those figures? Because I would like to see them .

You can request these figures under the Freedom of Information act via The University of Kent or University of Greenwich :smile:
You can request these figures under the Freedom of Information act via The University of Kent or University of Greenwich :smile:

Bit of a faff, why don't you just tell us! We know they're bad
Bit of a faff, why don't you just tell us! We know they're bad

Bit brave doing your job as a Medway Rep, filling young 6th form heads with big ideas to then end up working for Lloyds at £11/13 an hour ?!
How do you sleep at night? !
Bit brave doing your job as a Medway Rep, filling young 6th form heads with big ideas to then end up working for Lloyds at £11/13 an hour ?!
How do you sleep at night? !

I do not deal with data, purely student experience so I do not have the figures you are after i'm afraid.

As mentioned, please feel free to request them through the Freedom of Information act :smile:

As others have said, doesn't matter at all. Especially with the new Oriel recruitment - all depends on how you come across at interview and how well you do in the clinical and situation judgement exams.

I'm at Brighton which certainly wouldn't be considered one of the best unis when you look at league tables, but I've secured my pre-reg with Guy's and St Thomas and many of my friends have secured other great ones :smile:
Original post by Pharmasaz
As others have said, doesn't matter at all. Especially with the new Oriel recruitment - all depends on how you come across at interview and how well you do in the clinical and situation judgement exams.

I'm at Brighton which certainly wouldn't be considered one of the best unis when you look at league tables, but I've secured my pre-reg with Guy's and St Thomas and many of my friends have secured other great ones :smile:

Congratulations for securing a pre-reg!!
May I ask you what is the Oriel recruitment?
Original post by asp.pharm
Congratulations for securing a pre-reg!!
May I ask you what is the Oriel recruitment?

Thanks!

Oriel is an NHS national recruitment system that has been used for many years by junior doctors and pharmacists. It is a centralised system that London and the South East did their own trial of last year.

Basically, instead of applying to individual hospitals you make one application to all hospital positions, and the big difference this year is that the majority of community chains have signed up too. Before, you could apply to 4 hospital positions via Pharmalife, and as many community positions as you like. Now, you make one application and rank all of the individual places by your preference. How well you do in the tests and at interview will dictate which of your preferences you are offered.

That's why it doesn't matter where you go to uni or what you write in your personal statement - everyone will be invited to the first stage. It then depends how well you do in the exam and subsequent interview
Reply 18
Sorry for my ignorance, does someone from oriel interview in the first place, then if you do okay you are interviewed by the hospitals you have applied for or is it only oriel that interviews and carries out the exam and subsequent interviews?
As far I am aware, there is only one interview. So everyone will fill out the same application on ORIEL and then get invited to an assessment centre. The assessment centres are scattered around the UK so people just pick which ever is most convenient and go there, has nothing to do with the hospitals they are applying for. The assessment centre has a calculation test, a situational judgement test and 6 multi-mini interview stations. After assesment, people will be scored and then given a unique rank. Then offers will start to be given out. You only get one offer and once you accept that, your information gets passed onto the hospital. So, the hospital may choose to check references after you've chosen to accept the offer. So there's only one interview and it has nothing to do with the hospital. It's a bit of a gamble really considering the hospital has no say in who they get given for pre-reg as they have nothing to do with the interview process.

It also doesn't matter where you went to uni. The whole process is based on how you perform at interview, and it's not like they're going to give someone more points just because they went to a certain university. I've also had interviews before for placements and stuff and they really didn't care that I go to one of the top ranked pharmacy schools in the UK. The only time they slightly cared was if they went to the same university, just because they could ask about lecturers and stuff.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending