The Student Room Group

GCSE english language paper 1 question 3

hey.
I'm struggling with english lang paper 1 q3. could someone list me structural devices I could use in my answer.
thankyou
Linear narrative
Non linear narrative
Retrospective narrative
Cinematic writing
Frame narrative
Prolepsis
Analepsis
Original post by aneeka2000
Linear narrative
Non linear narrative
Retrospective narrative
Cinematic writing
Frame narrative
Prolepsis
Analepsis

what do those terms mean if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
A change of focus
Dialogue
Flashback
Change of perspective
The tone of the extract
Repetition
Mirroring
Sentence lengths
Juxtaposition?
Original post by aneeka2000
Linear narrative
Non linear narrative
Retrospective narrative
Cinematic writing
Frame narrative
Prolepsis
Analepsis

Thankyou
Original post by Jess512
A change of focus
Dialogue
Flashback
Change of perspective
The tone of the extract
Repetition
Mirroring
Sentence lengths
Juxtaposition?

Thankyouuuu
Reply 6
For English language unit 2 use the 7 sentence structure

Make the point
Develop on the point
Make up a fact
What impact does the fact have on the point your making ( 2 sentences)
Rhetorical question
Recommendation in response to the scenario you are presented with I.e. Surely it would be better in the future if ......

I used this and got an A grade in unit 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Naomeyz_01
what do those terms mean if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linear narrative The story is started at the beginning and consecutive events are told until the finale. The exposition sets the tone and theme of the story, followed by the rising action which leads to the story's climax, followed by the falling action, and the finale (denouement).

Nonlinear narrative The story skips around to different points in time; the order of events are rearranged or deconstructed in a way reflecting the main character's psychological state or the story's theme. This is used to place audiences in the minds of characters who have unusual ways of thinking or whose ability to process information is impaired. There are twists on the chronological order of traditional narratives (for instance, manipulation of time). The theme in nonlinear novels often deals with the ways people experience memory and time, and the role these elements play in human experience.

A retrospective narrative is when the story being told is not happening at the time the narrator is describing it and it highlights changes in the narrator because of and since the events of the story transpired.

Cinematic writing Action taking place is watched close enough to highlight important details.

Frame narrative contains a second narrative in order to provide a context or setting for it. Sometimes this framing narrative will begin and end the narrative as a whole, providing book ends, while other times the framing narrative will simply be present in the beginning of the narrative. The framing narrative "sets the scene" for the second narrative, giving us a context in which we can read and interpret the text.

Prolepsis is the representation or assumption of a future act or development as if presently existing or accomplished. This is done by referring to a future event as if it is already completed or taking the narrative forward in time to show events expected to occur, or have already occurred in the future, even though the main part of the narrative is further back in the past (often used to reveal some parts of a plot, which will be filled in later).

Analepsis a form of flashback in which earlier parts of a narrative are related to others that have already been narrated
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest