I hope not :wink: I'm excited really :biggrin:
Good luck!!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Annie789
I hope not :wink: I'm excited really :biggrin:
Good luck!!

Good luck too! I'm sure it'll be the best time of our lives. Keeping my fingers crossed for your unconditional offer :biggrin:
Reply 22
WE
Original post by olapitula
Good luck too! I'm sure it'll be the best time of our lives. Keeping my fingers crossed for your unconditional offer :biggrin:

Thank you! That's really sweet of you! :biggrin:
Hope you'll find the right accommodation for you, applications will open soon!
WE

Thank you! That's really sweet of you! :biggrin:
Hope you'll find the right accommodation for you, applications will open soon!

I hope the same for you! We jest have to think positively :biggrin:
Reply 24
I'm stuck between choosing Endcliffe and City accommodation... on one hand, everyone says Endcliffe is 100% where to be in terms of social life and just in general it seems like a nicer area, but my main concern is how far the walk actually is... anyone got an idea of how long it usually takes to walk? or if you're not walking, how long does the bus take/how much is it?

the City accommodation looks nicer in terms of rooms and it's a lot closer but I'm worried it'll feel a little isolated if the majority of people are down at Endcliffe.

any advice? :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by ccm_
I'm stuck between choosing Endcliffe and City accommodation... on one hand, everyone says Endcliffe is 100% where to be in terms of social life and just in general it seems like a nicer area, but my main concern is how far the walk actually is... anyone got an idea of how long it usually takes to walk? or if you're not walking, how long does the bus take/how much is it?

the City accommodation looks nicer in terms of rooms and it's a lot closer but I'm worried it'll feel a little isolated if the majority of people are down at Endcliffe.

From what I've read, Endcliffe is a 20-25 minute walk....But i think its easy to catch a bus/ tram and the bus fare is only £1....So i suppose if you didn't feel like walking in winter, you can catch the bus no problem! I don't know how long the bus takes though sorry :/ probably not too long..
Reply 26
From what I've read, Endcliffe is a 20-25 minute walk....But i think its easy to catch a bus/ tram and the bus fare is only £1....So i suppose if you didn't feel like walking in winter, you can catch the bus no problem! I don't know how long the bus takes though sorry :/ probably not too long..

thanks! I feel like I would enjoy the walk, but not so much on days where I get up late and have a morning lecture hahaha 😅
Reply 27
Original post by ccwrm_
thanks! I feel like I would enjoy the walk, but not so much on days where I get up late and have a morning lecture hahaha 😅

Understandable hahaha :P oh well... I'm sure there's transport available anyway...Good luck finding the right accommodation for you!
Original post by ccm_

I think the social life aspect of Endcliffe relative to the other villages is overstated. The area is a bit nicer if you prefer green environments, otherwise it's not that much better. You do end up a little isolated if you live in City compared to Endcliffe, but you can easily make up for it by going to societies, just generally talking with people, etc.

Walking from Endcliffe takes 10-35 minutes depending on which end of Endcliffe you're living in and which part of the university you're going to. If you're going from Stephenson/Carrysbrook area to the Hallamshire you'll be closer to 10 minutes, your average student will be going from near the Edge to Hicks or the Arts Tower which is 20-25 mins, if you're really unlucky you'll be on the far side of Endcliffe and going to Mappin which is going to take 35 mins, maybe 40.

The bus takes 5-10 minutes, but I'd budget 20 minutes because the buses can be unreliable sometimes. Very few people take the bus from Endcliffe though, it would be more advisable if you're going from Ranmoor. And yeah it's £1 each way although you can get passes which would work out cheaper.
Reply 29
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think the social life aspect of Endcliffe relative to the other villages is overstated. The area is a bit nicer if you prefer green environments, otherwise it's not that much better. You do end up a little isolated if you live in City compared to Endcliffe, but you can easily make up for it by going to societies, just generally talking with people, etc.

Walking from Endcliffe takes 10-35 minutes depending on which end of Endcliffe you're living in and which part of the university you're going to. If you're going from Stephenson/Carrysbrook area to the Hallamshire you'll be closer to 10 minutes, your average student will be going from near the Edge to Hicks or the Arts Tower which is 20-25 mins, if you're really unlucky you'll be on the far side of Endcliffe and going to Mappin which is going to take 35 mins, maybe 40.

The bus takes 5-10 minutes, but I'd budget 20 minutes because the buses can be unreliable sometimes. Very few people take the bus from Endcliffe though, it would be more advisable if you're going from Ranmoor. And yeah it's £1 each way although you can get passes which would work out cheaper.

I've applied for the city accommodation :biggrin: the social aspect doesn't bother me too much, I'm quite shy myself and sometimes i need the quiet haha :P
Do people usually get the halls that they applied for as first options?
Reply 31
Original post by eltarangu

Probably, if you apply as soon as you can....
Original post by eltarangu

You'll almost certainly get the same village and will definitely get your choice of mixed/single sex, for en-suite/shared you will usually get it but it's not uncommon not to.

Probably, if you apply as soon as you can....

Accommodation isn't allocated on a first come first serve basis, well it kind of is, it's based on whose offer becomes unconditional first rather than who applies first.

Original post by xxxsbxxx
does anyone know which accommodation (city or endcliffe/ranmoor) is closer to the medical school?

Endcliffe is closer than City providing you're not on the far side of it, but for either of those it's still only a 10ish minute walk so no big deal. Ranmoor would be slightly further away.
Reply 33
You'll almost certainly get the same village and will definitely get your choice of mixed/single sex, for en-suite/shared you will usually get it but it's not uncommon not to.

Accommodation isn't allocated on a first come first serve basis, well it kind of is, it's based on whose offer becomes unconditional first rather than who applies first.

Endcliffe is closer than City providing you're not on the far side of it, but for either of those it's still only a 10ish minute walk so no big deal. Ranmoor would be slightly further away.

Ahh ok, i see...I always assumed it was first come first served :biggrin: thanks for clearing that up :P
Quick question: If you pick a shared bathroom does that mean it will be single sex? Because I'm tempted to do so in order to save money, but I absolutely don't want to be stuck in a single sex flat...
Original post by Diabolomenthe
Quick question: If you pick a shared bathroom does that mean it will be single sex? Because I'm tempted to do so in order to save money, but I absolutely don't want to be stuck in a single sex flat...

I'm 90% sure the answer is no it doesn't mean it will be single sex as I'm fairly sure there are mixed shared bathroom flats but my memory's a bit rusty so I'm not 100%. Although if you're a lower priority student (put shef as your insurance, missed your offer, or applied for housing after results day) you're potentially more likely to get single sex.

Also even if you're put in a single sex flat it's not exactly difficult to meet girls through friends of friend or societies, etc., plus it helps with the whole don't **** where you eat thing, which is particularly easy to fall into as a fresher.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm 90% sure the answer is no it doesn't mean it will be single sex as I'm fairly sure there are mixed shared bathroom flats but my memory's a bit rusty so I'm not 100%. Although if you're a lower priority student (put shef as your insurance, missed your offer, or applied for housing after results day) you're potentially more likely to get single sex.

Also even if you're put in a single sex flat it's not exactly difficult to meet girls through friends of friend or societies, etc., plus it helps with the whole don't **** where you eat thing, which is particularly easy to fall into as a fresher.

Cheers man, I've already accepted an unconditional offer so I don't have to worry about any of that stuff.. and in terms of the sex stuff- I'm gay so that really won't be much of an issue when it comes to girls :wink:
How do I actually apply for accommodation
got on MUSE but can't seem to find anything...
Reply 38
Original post by lennyzoo
How do I actually apply for accommodation
got on MUSE but can't seem to find anything...

Hi, did you get an email about applying for accommodation?
Hi, did you get an email about applying for accommodation?

sorted it now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending