The Student Room Group

Undercover Atheists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Psychedeliyaa
What religion were you infected with and how do you deal with it?

This is where I have to stop taking you seriously I'm afraid.

And how do I guide my little sister from henceforth?

You don't, it'll be her decision to make and you should be neutral. Just tell her about the religion without bias - what it's about and some pros and cons - and let her choose from that. If you can't do that, don't get involved.
Reply 21
Original post by emerald7770
People did the killings but Islam does not encourage that. Where does it say that women should be abused? Women are praised a lot in the Quran, don't know what you're on about love

Ok direct verses from the Qur'an that I read to my 9 year old sister this week:

4:34 Husbands should take full care of their wives, with [the bounties] God has given to some more than others and with what they spend out of their own money. Righteous wives are devout and guard what God would have them guard in the husbands’ absence. If you fear high-handedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great."

Even if apologists like you try to sugar coat it, there is no denying it.
Reply 22
Original post by ChargingStag
This is where I have to stop taking you seriously I'm afraid.
Okay I'll edit my post.

You don't, it'll be her decision to make and you should be neutral. Just tell her about the religion without bias - what it's about and some pros and cons - and let her choose from that. If you can't do that, don't get involved.

I did I presented her the facts, then after she she told me how she felt, I gave her my opinions.
And where did you get the translation??

The Qur'an in Arabic is actually a translated version of the original form of arabic in the original Qur'an. You are making terrible points to ignore the reality of the Qur'an. Also, what possible justification does Mohammed have for having sex with a 9 year old?
Yes it does matter

It's some english translation.... Not that it really matters because it says the same in Arabic; and if it doesn't say the same thing and the translation is completely and totally wrong when why was it sold by a Mosque?
Original post by Jay Caz
The Qur'an in Arabic is actually a translated version of the original form of arabic in the original Qur'an. You are making terrible points to ignore the reality of the Qur'an. Also, what possible justification does Mohammed have for having sex with a 9 year old?

You all have different ages, lol. He waited until she was a lot older and then they married. Prophet Mohammed did not accept it until she got older
I have nothing wrong with this person convincing her young sister to leave an archaic religion in which from her birth she had been indoctrinated into. The whole idea of teaching someone religion from birth instead of say, waiting until they are a teenager, is not because of love. It's because of the fear that they will be too intelligent by that point to really believe a book with horrible messages and no evidence to back it up whatsoever.

There are a plethora of despicable verses in the Qur'an which preach violence based on irrational things, such as death for homosexuality.
You also have death for apostasy, a rule purely designed to keep someone in the doctrine. If you are possibly a fan of women's rights (Which I would hope you are) then I find it perplexing that you could possibly stand behind Islam, unless you are defending its right to simply exist which I would have to agree with.

There are so many ways to attack Islam, and so many ways to ignore it but eventually you must look at the reality of Islam. And for that I couldn't possibly condemn this person for helping his younger sister out of this barbaric religion.

(Posts like this always make me look like some right wing fascist, I am actually left wing, which is exactly why I am opposed to such a right wing ideology like Islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Exactly. And if God is the keeper of Qur'ans and ultimate lover of muslims, then why would he give out fake qura'ns? To hate people? It's ridiculous.
Reply 28
Original post by Jay Caz
x

Best read
Reply 29
Original post by Jay Caz
I have nothing wrong with person convincing her young sister to leave an archaic religion in which from her birth she had been indoctrinated into. The whole idea of teaching someone religion from birth instead of say, waiting until they are a teenager, is not because of love. It's because of the fear that they will be too intelligent by that point to really believe a book with horrible messages and no evidence to back it up whatsoever.

There are a plethora of despicable verses in the Qur'an which preach violence based on irrational things, such as death for homosexuality.
You also have death for apostasy, a rule purely designed to keep someone in the doctrine. If you are possibly a fan of women's rights (Which I would hope you are) then I find it perplexing that you could possibly stand behind Islam, unless you are defending its right to simply exist which I would have to agree with.

There are so many ways to attack Islam, and so many ways to ignore it but eventually you must look at the reality of Islam. And for that I couldn't possibly condemn this person for helping his younger sister out of this barbaric religion.

(Posts like this always make me look like some right wing fascist, I am actually left wing, which is exactly why I am opposed to such a right wing ideology like Islam.

Thank you. You are an intelligent person and should spread you knowledge. Islam is a religion that forces a person to not live the lives to their most intelligent, I am glad too that my little sister does not have to spend her teenage years fearing every "sin" she commits. Her later life even.
Lol. What made you think right wings were fascists? I'd say they're terrible, but I can't see any reason they're fascists. Islam is definitely a fascist ideology, and unfortunately I see from looking around me a lot of people that what were once free thinking left wing liberals support this ideology, nowadays. I'm glad you don't.
Can you reference please? :smile:
If your parents were to kill you then it's your parents problem. You're stupid for blaming the whole religion for something your parents would do. What stupid reasons for leaving Islam.

Well if they ARE devout muslims they do believe that death is a suitable punishment for apostasy - but that's by the by. So they might not literally hack her head off but she's 16, they are well able to kick her out and completely shun her from the family. This isn't something that should be taken lightly, and I think OP is right to wait and hide her beliefs until she is on her own two feet.
So I've been an undercover atheist for a year now because my parents are strict and conservative Muslims. If I told them I didn't believe in their "God", I will indefinitely have my head slaughtered off. So I'm 16, and living with them as an undercover atheist. And recently, I've told my 9 year old abut Islam and what really is going on because she's mature. And if Muhammed thought Aysha was mature enough to marry at 6, then why not tell my sister what happened to her right? She listened to me, we watched those horrible Islamic cartoons and I read the Qur'an to her and she's decided to not be a Muslim anymore, which is very relieving. Now, how do I guide my little sister from henceforth?

Get a job. As soon as you start making your own money no one can tell you :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:. They cannot even touch you for leaving Islam.

I've got very very little faith in me due to what I've gone through and I swear I'm on the verge of leaving Islam. My family found out and they were totally fine with it. They know even if they went through what I did from a very little age they would do the same!

Stay strong angel. PM if you need to talk I'll listen to you xxx ❤️❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would first like to thank you, OP, for sharing your story with us and I do know that in many families, societies and cultures, freedom of individual belief does not enjoy the status that in most defiantly should. I would like to quote from that “evil, backwards and archaic” Qu’ran, al Baqara 256, “Let there be no compulsion in religion.” I would ask that everyone respect the choice of our friend here, even if you believe she is misguided, it is for her to be misguided and not for you to misguide her through insulting or threatening behaviour. Indeed, I would remind everyone attacking her, “Many of the followers of previous books wish that they could turn you back into disbelievers, but you should pardon and forgive them (2:109).” In other words, even if she insults or offends you, you do not respond in kind.

I feel mutual respect is necessary for a civilised discussion. Now, OP, you might think me brainless, archaic and sheep like, but that hardly matters. I do disagree with your interpretation of the Qu’ran, the Sunna and Tijamiiya, I am happy to have a discussion about it and don’t worry I have no interest in converting you. I find the claim that Muhammad had a six-year old wife, quite interesting, it peeks my historical bones. The simple truth is we don’t actually know how old Aisha was, it was not mentioned in the Qu’ran (which is the only book Muslims generally consider infallible), while some point to verses in the Hadith (not the Qu’ran) Sayidd Bukhari, but even these cannot be taken at face value. Indeed, given the historical timelines set out by the Qu’ran itself and the fact that Aisha remembers being present at the revealing of ‘The Moon’ chapter of the Qu’ran, which was revealed before the six year of the Call (the Call was the period when the Prophet Muhammad was called upon by God into prophethood), but Khadiji, the Prophet’s first wife, did not pass away until the tenth year of the Call. Aisha and Muhammad did not marry until after Khadiji death. What all of this means is that according to this timeline, Aisha was likely to be 15 and not 6, when she married the Prophet Muhammad.

Often the age of Aisha was estimated based on historic reports on her behaviour, which is why there are a lot of issues with figuring out her age. What I mean is there would be a report of her playing with dolls and other ‘child-like’ qualities but then there would be other reports indicating her physical and psychological development that would place her well past puberty. Indeed, classical Islamic historian, Ibn Jarir Tabari, wrote, “In the time before Islam, Abu Bakr married two women. The first was Fatila daughter of Abdul Uzza, from Abdullah and Asma were born. There he married Umm Ruman, from whom Abdur Rahman and Aisha were born. These four were born before Islam.” This would mean that Aisha was even older than 15 before she married the Prophet Muhammad, exact age is difficult to discern from this, but we would be talking about somewhere in her 20’s.

There are quite a few others too who concur with this view (I am talking about Muslim scholars and historians who lived before European colonization). The main trouble is a misunderstanding of the Hadiths, even when the phrase ‘Sahih’ Hadith is used, it does not mean that the account is historically accurate or that Muslims are required to believe they are true events that took place. ‘Sahih’ here does not mean ‘true’ but ‘authenticated’ and what the word authenticated means here is that the lineage of the report has been strongly established. Remember that Bedouin culture was an oral one, not much was written down, which means that when the Hadith were being written down, they had to trace each report back to the originator. This is all Sahih means. There are many errors within the Hadiths and this is not controversial point as it’s widely accepted within scholastic circles. In truth the obsession with Aisha’s age came after European colonization of South Asia and the Middle East. Understanding the colonial discourse is imperative to this discussion.

I would also challenge your views on apostasy and homosexuality, however, I have taken up quite a bit of this thread already. On a quick note, I do think religious dissent is necessary, I am not who most people think I am and I left the practise of religion (and ideas of religion) of my parents. I don’t want to give the wrong impression about me, which I suspect might arise from this response.

I do hope sanity prevails and no harm comes to you or your sister. Nobody has the right to tell you what to think or believe. Much love and empowerment to you.
Reply 34
No it doesnt. It explicitly says there is no compulsion in religion.
my dad is one :rofl:
Reply 36
> Undercover atheist.

You :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing Soviet, what Intel did you get!?
I'm an athiest and my family is sikh- they wouldn't chop my head off if i told them at the moment but they would be disappointed and say its just a phase or something. My family doesn't drink but they have told me that when i'm 18 its my own choice - similarly they probably would accept I was an athiest when I am older but at the same time be a bit upset by it.
Original post by Query22
No it doesnt. It explicitly says there is no compulsion in religion.

Read your own holy book, specifically Quran 4:89 and Quran 9:11-12 and stop practicing Taqiyyah
Reply 39
I'm a Sunni so I don't believe in Taqqiya. Anyway I will put those verses you referenced in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending