The Student Room Group

Why are people bashining state schools so much?

There are parents who would spend nearly their entire salaries to send their children to the private school they cannot really afford.They make state schools seem like their are inadequate and not good enough.Sure there are bad state schools but there are also bad private schools.Just because you are paying 20,000 GBP per year it does not necessarily mean your children will do better.Sure the small classes are nice and perhaps the atmosphere is nicer and there may be more extra curriculum.

What really makes me angry is how bad people make state schools look.I go to one myself some of the teachers are not very good and the people are not very nice but with hard work and determination you can get a/a*.At the end of the day it is a question of whether you will put your head down and revise or will you accept failure by not even trying.

I am not saying that i am against private schools or that state schools are better.What I am trying to say is that I think people unfairly condemn state school and their judgement of state schools is very disaparaging.

Scroll to see replies

I went to this rubbish state school in reception and nursery - they didn't even teach me how to write, thank god I caught up once I started going to a private school in year 1.
Agree with this. The only reason to go to private school is to avoid poor people, then again I like poor people.
Your post is riddled with errors; you're a terrible example of state school education.
Original post by l'etranger
Agree with this. The only reason to go to private school is to avoid poor people, then again I like poor people.

Too many rich kids at my grammar school :frown:
Original post by feministy
Too many rich kids at my grammar school :frown:

Poor people are fun because they crash their cars and take drugs, same with rich people. Middle class White kids are boooring.
Reply 6
I went to a state school and did well from it. Like anything, good and bad bits.
Original post by l'etranger
Poor people are fun because they crash their cars and take drugs, same with rich people. Middle class White kids are boooring.

Ikr, we get that at the rubbish school across the road from us, so all good. The most that's happened at our school was a girl bringing in loose tea :|
Original post by Anonymous1502
There are parents who would spend nearly their entire salaries to send their children to the private school they cannot really afford.They make state schools seem like their are inadequate and not good enough.Sure there are bad state schools but there are also bad private schools.Just because you are paying 20,000 GBP per year it does not necessarily mean your children will do better.Sure the small classes are nice and perhaps the atmosphere is nicer and there may be more extra curriculum.

What really makes me angry is how bad people make state schools look.I go to one myself some of the teachers are not very good and the people are not very nice but with hard work and determination you can get a/a*.At the end of the day it is a question of whether you will put your head down and revise or will you accept failure by not even trying.

I am not saying that i am against private schools or that state schools are better.What I am trying to say is that I think people unfairly condemn state school and their judgement of state schools is very disaparaging.

You've pretty much made up a whole load of guff for reasons that I cannot fathom.

Who's making state schools look bad? Name a person.

19/20 students go to state schools. Do you even know what you are saying?
Can you give an example where you've found it to be condemning? The reality is, if you can afford to go to a private school, people will pay for their kids to go there. There are very few select schools (grammar schools) where they compete with the private schools, and on average state education is in no comparison to private education.
Original post by feministy
Ikr, we get that at the rubbish school across the road from us, so all good. The most that's happened at our school was a girl bringing in loose tea :|

absolute barbarians.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Your post is riddled with errors; you're a terrible example of state school education.

Lool
Because the UK education system is such a joke that at least going to private school gives you a higher chance of knowing the 'right people'. These people can save your skin when it gets to university/post-university and you've finally realised that all that time you spent learning how to pass exams for the past 10+ years has been :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing useless now that you have to try to get a job and live in the real world.
Original post by Trinculo
You've pretty much made up a whole load of guff for reasons that I cannot fathom.

Who's making state schools look bad? Name a person.

19/20 students go to state schools. Do you even know what you are saying?

Some people who send their children to independent schools.
Some people who send their children to independent schools.

And why does this bother you?

You claim that some people within a very small group of people "bash" state schools.

What's wrong with that?
And why does this bother you?

You claim that some people within a very small group of people "bash" state schools.

What's wrong with that?

I find it offensive as these people never went to a state school yet they look upon them with disdain.They think they are so superior because they can afford 20k per year and they do not give state schools the credit they deserve.
I find it offensive as these people never went to a state school yet they look upon them with disdain.They think they are so superior because they can afford 20k per year and they do not give state schools the credit they deserve.

I don't get it. What are you saying? State schools are by and large pretty lacking in a great many areas - and you said so yourself - its largely up to the individual to work hard. To what end? Why exactly would you work really hard at a state school - what are you trying to prove?
Reply 17
Original post by Moonstruck16
Because the UK education system is such a joke that at least going to private school gives you a higher chance of knowing the 'right people'. These people can save your skin when it gets to university/post-university and you've finally realised that all that time you spent learning how to pass exams for the past 10+ years has been :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing useless now that you have to try to get a job and live in the real world.

This.

Who you know is surprisingly important these days if you want decent employment, at least that has been my experience of it.
I don't get it. What are you saying? State schools are by and large pretty lacking in a great many areas - and you said so yourself - its largely up to the individual to work hard. To what end? Why exactly would you work really hard at a state school - what are you trying to prove?

That you can achieve greatness no matter what standard of education you get as long as you put the hours in and you are dilligent and determined.
That you can achieve greatness no matter what standard of education you get as long as you put the hours in and you are dilligent and determined.

This makes the assumption that work ethic is related to success. I don't believe that's universally true.

You also haven't really answered what the point of all this is. If you're at a state school, what are you hoping to achieve by working really hard? What's the objective?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending