The Student Room Group

Self-teaching

Hey :smile:

So I had to drop out of uni last week because of health related reasons and I've been told to take the next 18 months or so out, and to either reapply in September for a different course (part of the problem was my course) or to come back in January 2019.

I'm the kind of person who always has to be doing something, and even a week on I'm seriosuly struggling with having nothing to do, and not learning anything. I've looked at evening classes but there is nothing that appeals to me in the slighest.

So, I've thought I might self-teach myself an A Level over the next year and then sit the full thing in Summer 2018. I've got a few options of subjects but thought I'd post here for any one elses opinion! :smile:

I already have A Levels in Psychology (A), Sociology (B) and English Literature (B) and am considering retaking one of my sociology units to try and bring my grade up to an A overall.

I also have experience in self-teaching myself as I had to sit all my GCSEs in one year, because I moved schools so I had to re-learn all of year 10 whilst also learning the year 11 material - I had to start Biology, History, French, ICT, RE, English Lit and Lang from scratch at the start of year 11 and I did well overall, so I have the ability to do so if that makes sense?

Maths - I have an A at GCSE and I absolutley adore it, mainly because it's either right or wrong, and I quite like a challenge (it would NOT be easy in the slightest for me, but I'm willing to work hard!)

Music - I have a B at GCSE, grade 8 clarinet and am currently working towards my diploma for clarinet, grade 7 music theory and self-teaching the piano (I can play a few pieces of Einaudi relatively well and am learning more stuff of that level/style)

History - I have an A* at GCSE and really enjoy it as a subject, I quite like essays as well (as seen by my A Levels I already have) and I self-taught my GCSE as well!

Biology - I have an A* at GCSE and an E at AS already (I didn't do well because I missed 70% of our lessons because of hospital appointments/not being in college) and I do enjoy it as a subject.

Of these 4 bio would probably be my least favourite, but I'm up for a challenge! Maths would probably be the most challenging, but I enjoy it, and music would be the easiest for me (although I know it's not easy in the slightest!)

But any opinions would be greatly appreciaed! :biggrin:
Original post by 08graya
Hey :smile:

So I had to drop out of uni last week because of health related reasons and I've been told to take the next 18 months or so out, and to either reapply in September for a different course (part of the problem was my course) or to come back in January 2019.

I'm the kind of person who always has to be doing something, and even a week on I'm seriosuly struggling with having nothing to do, and not learning anything. I've looked at evening classes but there is nothing that appeals to me in the slighest.

So, I've thought I might self-teach myself an A Level over the next year and then sit the full thing in Summer 2018. I've got a few options of subjects but thought I'd post here for any one elses opinion! :smile:

I already have A Levels in Psychology (A), Sociology (B) and English Literature (B) and am considering retaking one of my sociology units to try and bring my grade up to an A overall.

I also have experience in self-teaching myself as I had to sit all my GCSEs in one year, because I moved schools so I had to re-learn all of year 10 whilst also learning the year 11 material - I had to start Biology, History, French, ICT, RE, English Lit and Lang from scratch at the start of year 11 and I did well overall, so I have the ability to do so if that makes sense?

Maths - I have an A at GCSE and I absolutley adore it, mainly because it's either right or wrong, and I quite like a challenge (it would NOT be easy in the slightest for me, but I'm willing to work hard!)

Music - I have a B at GCSE, grade 8 clarinet and am currently working towards my diploma for clarinet, grade 7 music theory and self-teaching the piano (I can play a few pieces of Einaudi relatively well and am learning more stuff of that level/style)

History - I have an A* at GCSE and really enjoy it as a subject, I quite like essays as well (as seen by my A Levels I already have) and I self-taught my GCSE as well!

Biology - I have an A* at GCSE and an E at AS already (I didn't do well because I missed 70% of our lessons because of hospital appointments/not being in college) and I do enjoy it as a subject.

Of these 4 bio would probably be my least favourite, but I'm up for a challenge! Maths would probably be the most challenging, but I enjoy it, and music would be the easiest for me (although I know it's not easy in the slightest!)

But any opinions would be greatly appreciaed! :biggrin:

music and history might have coursework attached to them so from that perspective i d go for maths :smile:
Have you considered doing a degree by distance learning rather than doing an A-level? In 18 months you would be half way through a degree and if you wanted to return to a brick uni, you may be able to transfer the credits you gained so that you wouldn't have to start all over again in first year.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
music and history might have coursework attached to them so from that perspective i d go for maths :smile:

Original post by everested
Have you considered doing a degree by distance learning rather than doing an A-level? In 18 months you would be half way through a degree and if you wanted to return to a brick uni, you may be able to transfer the credits you gained so that you wouldn't have to start all over again in first year.

Thank you both! :smile:

I have considered doing a degree with the open university but I don't really know what I want to study at the moment, so I think I want to take some more time to properly think about what it is that I want to do, and to get some more work experience etc so I'm not sure - I'll definitely consider it though! :smile:
Reply 4
This Summer would be the last chance to re-sit a Sociology unit to improve your grade so you have probably left that too late.
Go for Maths - it's the subject with the most online resources for those self teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest