The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the course that you are applying to, e.g. if you wanted to do medicine, then those GCSE's would be terrible, and you wouldn't stand a chance. But your GCSE are ok so they probably won't hold you back.
1 A*s and 3 As at GCSE are not 'bad GCSEs'. Only on TSR could these be considered 'bad'.

Moreover, Cambridge puts little emphasis on GCSEs, and applications are considered on more than one criterion - your A level results will be far more important.

I do wonder what the attitude on A level Chinese would be, given that you are obviously Chinese from your username.
You will never get in. Lol im joking. You should ask Oxford themselves here: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/home/p/31/
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
It depends on the course that you are applying to, e.g. if you wanted to do medicine, then those GCSE's would be terrible, and you wouldn't stand a chance. But your GCSE are ok so they probably won't hold you back.

It's not correct to say the OP 'wouldn't stand a chance...at medicine'. If, for instance, the OP had a reason for these *relatively poor results, then they wouldn't preclude a competitive application. Cambridge applications are considered holistically, and usually no one single piece of data definitively makes or breaks an application.
Original post by 0100100101001101
You should ask Oxford themselves here: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/home/p/31/

Given the OP wants to apply to Cambridge, he's probably best not to ask Oxford about this...
Original post by Reality Check
Given the OP wants to apply to Cambridge, he's probably best not to ask Oxford about this...

They are almost identical in terms of entry requirements. You can bet what is good enough for Oxford 99% of the time is good enough for Cambridge.
They are almost identical in terms of entry requirements. You can bet what is good enough for Oxford 99% of the time is good enough for Cambridge.

Not really...not at all, actually.

And the OP didn't ask about Oxford...
It's not correct to say the OP 'wouldn't stand a chance...at medicine'. If, for instance, the OP had a reason for these *relatively poor results, then they wouldn't preclude a competitive application. Cambridge applications are considered holistically, and usually no one single piece of data definitively makes or breaks an application.

grades are grades, most universities want at least 6 A-A* grades for medicine.
Email here: [email protected]
Not really...not at all, actually.

And the OP didn't ask about Oxford...

Wow. Just trying to be helpful. Its not like I gave a link to London Metropolitan Uni. God sake.
It doesn't make it impossible, however it really does reduce your competitiveness compared to other students. Not to mention, Cambridge and Oxford's are academic diehards- grades and UMS are what they really care about. However, Cambridge is more interested in your AS UMS, more than your GCSE grades, and once you get an interview, then your grades matter even less. There is that scent of luck with getting into Oxbridge- which is quite a shame.
(edited 7 years ago)
grades are grades, most universities want at least 6 A-A* grades for medicine.

Again, not correct.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

See under the GCSE tab of that page, where it says:

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Reply 13

I'm applying for Economics or Land Economy, however I'm worried as I'll be competing with people that has 7-10 A*s at GCSEs, I'm sure I'm no less then them right now but GCSEs can't be changed.
Reply 14
Email here: [email protected]

Thank you will do.
Original post by Alex Chan
Does that mean I stand no chance at all to get an offer from Cambridge?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, however you'll have to be amazingly special to get in. They've got plenty of amazing people with 13 A*s at GCSE, often if they see more than 1 or 2 non As or A*s they chuck the application, simply because they can.

Source: Oxbridge selectors.
Reply 16
Again, not correct.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

See under the GCSE tab of that page, where it says:

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

This surely helped thank you!
Reply 17
I have a bad GCSE results of 1 A* 3 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs. Does that mean I stand no chance at all to get an offer from Cambridge?
By the way I've worked really hard and achieved predicted grades of A*A*AA in Economisc, Chinese, Business and Maths but GCSEs will hold me back surely.
Is it too late? I mean even if I have just a bit of chance I will go for it.

Your biggest issue is that you take economics and business which are very similar and may be looked down upon. Chinese is also a bit of a dodgy one too, since you are chinese yourself.

Add that to the fact that your GCSEs arent as good and you're in a pretty weak position imo
Reply 18
Original post by DarthRoar
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No, however you'll have to be amazingly special to get in. They've got plenty of amazing people with 13 A*s at GCSE, often if they see more than 1 or 2 non As or A*s they chuck the application, simply because they can.

Source: Oxbridge selectors.

Ok thanks!
This surely helped thank you!

You're welcome. I'm afraid there's a lot of misinformation about Oxbridge entry requirements and applications from people who don't know the process properly.

The Cambridge Courses and Cambridge Courses are good sources of accurate information, as is University of Cambridge. As always, check the university website for accurate information too.

Latest

Trending

Trending