The Student Room Group

Hotel Age Limit?

Me and a friend want to go to France and stay in a hotel, we're both 16 is this possible to book ?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Other members have asked on the Travelodge site and they said that 16-year-olds can book and stay

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/age-policy

Another option is to find a B&B on https://www.booking.com/

Premier Inn also allow 16-year-olds.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stdsam
Me and a friend want to go to France and stay in a hotel, we're both 16 is this possible to book ?

Yeah itll be fine

You can buy non-distilled alcohol (beer and wine etc) (not spirits) in france at 16 so yeah dont see why not :smile:

have a good trip :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you but most websites are saying one 18+ has to come?
Original post by stdsam

Moved to Travel

You need to check with the hotel. Each hotel will have a different policy.
Reply 4
Original post by stdsam

Some hotels will only let you check in if you are over eighteen. However, there will also be hotels that will be fine with you checking in at a younger age. If you are unsure, contact them directly. They will be able to advise you on whether you can check in & what to do if not.
Original post by stdsam

ah okay - hmm, that could be hotel policy maybe. hope you find something :smile: Could try hostels I guess as a last resort
Reply 6
Thank you, i know most hotels in the U.K. allow anyone above the age of 16+ to be classed as an adult for hotel limits but is this the case in other countries? You can get flights anywhere on your own over the age of 16...
Reply 7
Original post by stdsam
Thank you, i know most hotels in the U.K. allow anyone above the age of 16+ to be classed as an adult for hotel limits but is this the case in other countries? You can get flights anywhere on your own over the age of 16...

It will vary from hotel to hotel. Check on the website, they should have it mentioned in their policy about booking in. If not, just give them a phone call or send them an email and they will be able to tell you. It is not really about whether you can get a flight or not, it will depend on other things such as licensing agreements & the laws of the country. Some hotels will let you check in fine, and others will not. It is up to each individual hotel whether they would let you check in or not and so they will be the ones best to advise you.
Original post by stdsam

Yeah you can! Maybe ask a travel agent to help you out? Theyll be able to tell you :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by stdsam

Check out youth hostels, as some French ones allow those as young as 15 to book in unaccompanied, for example: http://en.visitparisregion.com/housing-paris/youth-hostels-78387.html
Reply 11
Original post by Find_elsewhere
Check out youth hostels, as some French ones allow those as young as 15 to book in unaccompanied, for example: http://en.visitparisregion.com/housing-paris/youth-hostels-78387.html

Yes i've seen hostels but don't know much about them? Can i have more info please. All i know is that you stay in a room with other people, I want my own privacy???
Original post by stdsam
Yes i've seen hostels but don't know much about them? Can i have more info please. All i know is that you stay in a room with other people, I want my own privacy???

Most hostels (I've stayed in quite a few on cheap holidays in Britain and various places in Europe, so I'm talking from experience), have private single, double, triple rooms you can book, as well as the traditional 10+ bed shared dormitories that most people think of. Depending on the hostel these private rooms may be ensuites, or share a bathroom. They're cheaper than a standard hotel, so worth looking at, and may be a little less sleek, but otherwise come with all the same features in terms of furniture and facilities. Often they have lounges/ bars, gamerooms, and kitchens too, and many will do cheap breakfasts.
Reply 13
Original post by Find_elsewhere
Most hostels (I've stayed in quite a few on cheap holidays in Britain and various places in Europe, so I'm talking from experience), have private single, double, triple rooms you can book, as well as the traditional 10+ bed shared dormitories that most people think of. Depending on the hostel these private rooms may be ensuites, or share a bathroom. They're cheaper than a standard hotel, so worth looking at, and may be a little less sleek, but otherwise come with all the same features in terms of furniture and facilities. Often they have lounges/ bars, gamerooms, and kitchens too, and many will do cheap breakfasts.

Wait so you can have your own room and bathroom? If so then isn't that basically a hotel? as i would love to have my own privacy with a friend but would hate to share with a load of strangers.
Original post by stdsam
Wait so you can have your own room and bathroom? If so then isn't that basically a hotel? as i would love to have my own privacy with a friend but would hate to share with a load of strangers.

Yup! I actually cancelled a hostel booking today where I would have had my own room and an en-suite bathroom. Cost more of course but was worth it IMO. :smile:
Original post by stdsam

Yes, many hostels have smaller rooms for travellers who don't want to share; I've done it myself when travelling with my boyfriend, for example, and we booked a private double room. The difference between hostels and hotels, aside from the fact that you have the option to book a bed in a shared room in a hostel, is that hostels are more informal and "do it yourself" e.g. having a kitchen, laundry room, etc. whereas with a hotel you expect/ are paying for services - room service, laundry pick up and return etc. In hotels you might expect the furniture to be of a bit better quality, but generally they both have the same basic amenities - free wifi, towels and toiletries etc. The great thing about hostels is that there are more communal areas so you often meet and make friends with other people staying there.

Quick Reply

Latest