The Student Room Group

If the UK was fighting a war and started conscripting, what would you do?

Would you:
-Immediately sign up
-Refuse as a conscientious objector
-Ask to serve in a non-combatant role that assists the military

Scroll to see replies

I would declare myself a conscientious objector, or if that didn't work, go and live in the U.S. If they're also conscripting and also don't accept my conscientious objector status, then I'd go and live in Switzerland. Triple citizenship has its perks.

If Switzerland was also conscripting and also didn't accept my being a C.O., then I don't know what I'd do.
They'd never want women anyway, so guess I'm safe :wink:
But I would do the third.
Run for the hills. Wars solve nothing.
Reply 4
I'd go in as a non-combatant. I have played enough Modern Warfare to know how to control air drones from my basement..
I'd hope they'd round up all the EDL first to go fight as thats what they're there for isnt it? If a conscription was coming then I'd join before it took effect and apply for officer school. More perks with being an officer.
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I would declare myself a conscientious objector, or if that didn't work, go and live in the U.S. If they're also conscripting and also don't accept my conscientious objector status, then I'd go and live in Switzerland. Triple citizenship has its perks.

If Switzerland was also conscripting and also didn't accept my being a C.O., then I don't know what I'd do.

Why would you not want to fight or serve in a non-combatant role? Didn't know triple citizenship was a thing...
Reply 7
Yeah I'd sign up for a non-combatant role cos I'm a coward
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

But Switzerland does have conscription. :confused:

Anyway, I'd ask to serve in a non-combatant role that assists the military. :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by feministy

As a feminist you should be appalled at this double standard, not pleased!
Interesting question; depends on the context. If it was a minor conflict and the army was recruiting British nationals then I would stay indifferent, whereas if we are talking about all about WWIII wherein the totality of resources (including residents) is to be 'utilised' in war effort and there was no other way, and UK was fighting on the same side as Poland as it usually does and is highly likely to do that in WWIII, then I would probably oblige and make myself useful in the British/NATO war effort as a computer engineer / information coder more likely in de-coding and cyber warfare.

And I am generally anti-war as I would like to believe we have surpassed this stage as a humanity
I am more of a sciency theoretical guy. More useful designing new weaponry and other crap for war than shooting people and being canon fodder. So option 3.
But I would do the third.

not true:
Screenshot (8).png
Option 3 but I wouldn't completely rule out option 2, conscription is a terrifying prospect imo
Reply 14
It depends on what the war is for, if I agree then 1. If if I disagree then 2. If I don't feel up to it but still want to help my country then 3.
Depends on the scale of the war
Original post by CoolCavy
not true:
Screenshot (8).png

They still wouldn't want a whining feminist like me... I don't mind the RAF though. I used to do air cadets.
They still wouldn't want a whining feminist like me... I don't mind the RAF though. I used to do air cadets.

Well nobody wants a whining feminist
Original post by ANM775
As a feminist you should be appalled at this double standard, not pleased!

I don't think anyone should have to involuntarily fight anyway.
Original post by CoolCavy
Well nobody wants a whining feminist

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending