The Student Room Group

Car making a noise, garage can't find anything wrong. What would you do?

I need some advice about my car. It's a 2014 VW Golf, not done many miles, I only got it last year. The problem is that it creaks when going over bumps, it's been into the garage 3 times and it has got better each time. Now it's had its whole suspension replaced at the front and rear, but it still creaks. It made it the 20 miles home before doing it last night, but it made the noise when reversing up onto my drive.

First visit they replaced rear shocks which were apparently a manufacturing fault: Creaking better, but still there.

Second visit, they found nothing, but replaced a bearing at the front.

Third visit after I took a mechanic out in it and he heard the noise after going quite fast over a speedbump (annoyingly when it does it with just me in the car I don't even have to go fast over any bumps for it to make the noise, it does it at under 10 mph sometimes). He thought it was the front and they've not replaced the suspension at the front too.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what it might be? I'm very worried I'm going to end up with a car out of warranty with a serious problem because they couldn't find it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As it was a pre-existing issue I wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty running out.

Have you concidered going to another dealer?
My boyfriend's Polo had this problem, he had it 3 years and it never got fixed, even though it had loads of minor parts replaced by the main dealer on a good service deal. It didn't cause any major problems, but the noise did just keep coming and going as the weather changed. I wouldn't worry about it, they could never find the cause of the noise.
Original post by SuperCat007

Does anyone have any other ideas about what it might be? I'm very worried I'm going to end up with a car out of warranty with a serious problem because they couldn't find it.

You better worry about crappy VW's engine, instead of suspension that obviously isn't broken since they've replaced it and the car still makes the noise.

It can be anything, a plastic mud cover for example with faulty fix.
Next time buy Kia or Fiat and don't waste money for a "better" car that isn't any better or actually can even be worse than cheaper makes.
That is for the next 5 years, I can't predict what kind of junk car manufacturers will come up with later on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
You better worry about crappy VW's engine, instead of suspension that obviously isn't broken since they've replaced it and the car still makes the noise.

It can be anything, a plastic mud cover for example with faulty fix.
Next time buy Kia or Fiat and don't waste money for a "better" car that isn't any better or actually can even be worse than cheaper makes.
That is for the next 5 years, I can't predict what kind of junk car manufacturers will come up with later on.

You're really going to recommend buying a Fiat? Their 500 series can't even climb up hills. Furthermore Fiat isn't really know for its 'reliability' is it, so I don't really think you know what you're talking about...

You're better off sticking with the VW and getting the problems sorted out, if it is a manufacturing fault take it back to VW and I'm sure they'll do something about it.
BrumBrum (Car noice)
Original post by retrodisco123
brumbrum (car noice)

Vroooooom
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You're really going to recommend buying a Fiat? Their 500 series can't even climb up hills. Furthermore Fiat isn't really know for its 'reliability' is it, so I don't really think you know what you're talking about...

Saw some local dashcam footage on Facebook last week of a motorcyclist running a red light and hitting the back of a Fiat 500 - he continued moving without stopping or falling off, completely unscathed, whereas the Fiat's rear bumper was obliterated.

I agree with your comments on the "daddy I'm 18 now" car :colondollar:
Original post by IWMTom
I agree with your comments on the "daddy I'm 18 now" car :colondollar:

Daddy want to buy me a pony as well? :biggrin:
Well it's been to a different dealer, they lubricated the bushes at the front and its still making the noise. I did have a lovely quiet Polo GT for a couple of days as a courtesy car though. Having done a lot more reading it seems to be a Golf suspension thing, I did read about one guy who managed to make them replace the manufacturer fitted suspension for a better system, but I'm not going to go down that route. I've been thinking about changing anyway so this has just made up my mind. And no, I won't be buying a Fiat or a Kia, thanks for the advice though.
You're really going to recommend buying a Fiat?

Fiat is making far more durable and reliable engines right now than the VW. VW was good in 70ties, 80ties, 90ties.
Not now.

Their 500 series can't even climb up hills.

Only if a driver is very incompetent on using proper engine rpms for particular tasks. Your grandfather could probably climb up the hills in a car that had 30HP or sth, so there is absolutely no excuse for a driver who has almost 70 in a car that weights only 900 kilos.

Furthermore Fiat isn't really know for its 'reliability' is it, so I don't really think you know what you're talking about...

Fiats often break down, but only in minds of people who never had any.
Panda, 500, Tipo, Seicento and some other models have extremely simple contruction and very solid engines. There is literally not many things that can break down, and they usually don't. F.I.R.E. and T-Jets are very reliable engines moreover. Far more reliable than current VW/Audi engines, and comparable to old VW models such as old naturally aspirated VW engines, alongside with the 1.8 Turbo from old Audi TT for example.

My family uses Fiats since 1969 and they never caused much problems. I have a 12 year old Fiat that has never broke down.

Original post by IWMTom
Saw some local dashcam footage on Facebook last week of a motorcyclist running a red light and hitting the back of a Fiat 500 - he continued moving without stopping or falling off, completely unscathed, whereas the Fiat's rear bumper was obliterated.

ANY modern car's bumper consists of the actual bumper that is a tin rail attached to bodyshell's stringers, and plastic cover outside that is fastened with a few clips and screws and can be easily ripped of, only at particular hit angle. You may try this with any car, and effects will always be similar.

But since you're into anecdotic stuff, try the one that happend to my acquaintance and his new Golf GTI Performance in just 15 k miles.
-main display malfuntion
-gas pedal malfunction
-cruise control malfunction
-gearbox failure- yelling and constant yawing
-engine oil consuption of 1 liter per 660 miles. Factory service refused to make engine renovation because "up to 1,5 liter is standard oil consumption".
-radio malfuntion
-GPS malfunction
-rear windshield wiper failure
-right front power window failure

Well it's been to a different dealer, they lubricated the bushes at the front and its still making the noise..

Did they check the bodyshell? Mud covers, bumpers etc? It may also be a faulty engine cushion or sth.
The service also could have said that they've replaced something, while they didn't do anything.
Go to a diagnostic station, such like the one that does the MOT, and ask to test the suspension on those plates that pull the suspension in all directions- if they don't find any loose parts, then the suspension is fine. Ask them also to check the stabiliser bars manually- their failure may not be visible otherwise.

Try to record the noise, and upload the recording, I'll try to recognize the source.
(edited 7 years ago)
VW Golf :sick: I bet you've riced it out too :frown:

Get a real car...

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Pop a golf ball in the exhaust pipe, that should make it a bit quieter.
Reply 13

You're better off sticking with the VW and getting the problems sorted out, if it is a manufacturing fault take it back to VW and I'm sure they'll do something about it.

[video="youtube;Cm38CcQgtQk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm38CcQgtQk[/video]
Fiat is making far more durable and reliable engines right now than the VW. VW was good in 70ties, 80ties, 90ties.
Not now.

Only if a driver is very incompetent on using proper engine rpms for particular tasks. Your grandfather could probably climb up the hills in a car that had 30HP or sth, so there is absolutely no excuse for a driver who has almost 70 in a car that weights only 900 kilos.

Panda, 500, Tipo, Seicento and some other models have extremely simple contruction and very solid engines. There is literally not many things that can break down, and they usually don't. F.I.R.E. and T-Jets are very reliable engines moreover. Far more reliable than current VW/Audi engines, and comparable to old VW models such as old naturally aspirated VW engines, alongside with the 1.8 Turbo from old Audi TT for example.

My family uses Fiats since 1969 and they never caused much problems. I have a 12 year old Fiat that has never broke down.

I can tell you do not know anything about cars, firstly a Fiat 500 cannot climb up hills due to the ECU limiting the amount of CO2 gas being emitted from the car, resulting in a loss of power meaning that tasks such as climbing up a hill is rendered hard for the car. Watch BBC Watchdog's programme on it, will educate yourself and stop you from recommending their cars.

Furthermore: if you think Fiats are more reliable than VW's or Audi's, then you're in need for some serious help; Fiats are worse than Peugeots, and that's saying something...:rofl:

ANY modern car's bumper consists of the actual bumper that is a tin rail attached to bodyshell's stringers, and plastic cover outside that is fastened with a few clips and screws and can be easily ripped of, only at particular hit angle. You may try this with any car, and effects will always be similar.

But since you're into anecdotic stuff, try the one that happend to my acquaintance and his new Golf GTI Performance in just 15 k miles.
-main display malfuntion
-gas pedal malfunction
-engine oil consuption of 1 liter per 660 miles. Factory service refused to make engine renovation because "up to 1,5 liter is standard oil consumption".
-radio malfuntion
-GPS malfunction

That's not the point though, bumpers should be robust, instead of flimsy such as that of the Fiat 500's. Fiat have gone cheap building their cars, and selling for a price way beyond it should be sold for, that's the truth of the matter.

Tbh, I don't believe those failures occurred at 15k milage; however, if they did this is a rare instance and you don't hear much of these faults ever in a VW or other reliable car makes, however, the same cannot be said for Fiats.

Try to record the noise, and upload the recording, I'll try to recognize the source.

I think the best thing for the OP to do is not to listen to you, and to take the car back to a VW dealer or take it to a mechanic; as they'd know what to do.
And no, I won't be buying a Fiat or a Kia, thanks for the advice though.

Good choice OP! :biggrin:
Not now.

-main display malfuntion
-gas pedal malfunction
-radio malfuntion
-GPS malfunction

Did they check the bodyshell? Mud covers, bumpers etc? It may also be a faulty engine cushion or sth.
The service also could have said that they've replaced something, while they didn't do anything.
Go to a diagnostic station, such like the one that does the MOT, and ask to test the suspension on those plates that pull the suspension in all directions- if they don't find any loose parts, then the suspension is fine. Ask them also to check the stabiliser bars manually- their failure may not be visible otherwise.

It's under warranty so I'm not going to take it to another garage and pay for another diagnostics test. As I said I was thinking of changing anyway so this has just solidified my decision.
So any recommendations for a new car then?

I'm torn between something which can tow up to about 2000 kg, small SUV Kuga, Rav-4, Outlander, CX-5 and the like.

Or something a bit daft, something fast until I can afford a 'real' towing vehicle (Disco, Defender or the like).

Must be diesel, fuel economy is quite important, I'll be looking for something between 1-2 years old.

Any suggestions?
So any recommendations for a new car then?

I'm torn between something which can tow up to about 2000 kg, small SUV Kuga, Rav-4, Outlander, CX-5 and the like.

Or something a bit daft, something fast until I can afford a 'real' towing vehicle (Disco, Defender or the like).

Must be diesel, fuel economy is quite important, I'll be looking for something between 1-2 years old.

Any suggestions?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend, and do you want it to be 4 wheel drive?
Reply 19
It's under warranty so I'm not going to take it to another garage and pay for another diagnostics test. As I said I was thinking of changing anyway so this has just solidified my decision.

If it's under warranty no one in the dealer network should ever have charged you a diagnostic fee!

Latest

Trending

Trending