The Student Room Group

Half term revision help

Wed
(edited 5 years ago)
Just start!!! once you've pushed through the first few hours you the rest will just flow.

Just sit the **** down and force yourself. you will not regret it.
I feel the same way about my GCSE exams.:frown:
Original post by sunshine774
I feel the same way about my GCSE exams.:frown:

Me too
Original post by Yayvillee
Over the past few months I have gradually been losing the will to revise, and pretty much the will to live. I am taking my A2s but I literally cannot revise. Over the past 4 days I have planned revision, but once I sit down and try and do work my mind just wanders and I cannot concentrate, as hard as I try. I end up doing nothing, but the worse part is that I don't even really care. I need A*AA in Maths Chem and Bio, but I'm well on the way to DDD and I don't care. I literally don't care and would happily give up and curl up right now. I also am exhausted all the time.

Any tips on how to get out of this never ending cycle? Or anyone else going through something similar? 4 years of exams in a row and I am completely drained. Even as recent as Christmas I was revising hard, but now all of that is going to waste and I genuinely don't care. Over Easter I probably did a total of 2 hours good revision, but again, I'm not panicking like I previously would have because I don't care. I'm only writing this for something to do.

I experienced this too when I was doing my A Levels (partially because I was depressed I think). As the exam period got closer I just lost the motivation to revise, even for my best subject, despite consistently working hard all year before that.

The way I dealt with it was by making a revision timetable (a manageable one though, with topics allocated to days rather than specific time frames), and that helped me to focus better because I felt like I had a proper plan then.

Also, I'd highly recommend getting into a good, regular sleeping routine. I used to be exhausted all the time, until I began a sleeping routine (going to bed at 12am and waking up between 9am and 10am). I really believe it has helped, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by harun_farah
Me too

I have done no revision and I am just cramming it all in half term... but it is really stressing me out!
What about you?:smile:
Original post by splashywill
Just start!!! once you've pushed through the first few hours you the rest will just flow.

Just sit the **** down and force yourself. you will not regret it.

Surprisingly helpful
Over the past few months I have gradually been losing the will to revise, and pretty much the will to live. I am taking my A2s but I literally cannot revise. Over the past 4 days I have planned revision, but once I sit down and try and do work my mind just wanders and I cannot concentrate, as hard as I try. I end up doing nothing, but the worse part is that I don't even really care. I need A*AA in Maths Chem and Bio, but I'm well on the way to DDD and I don't care. I literally don't care and would happily give up and curl up right now. I also am exhausted all the time.

Any tips on how to get out of this never ending cycle? Or anyone else going through something similar? 4 years of exams in a row and I am completely drained. Even as recent as Christmas I was revising hard, but now all of that is going to waste and I genuinely don't care. Over Easter I probably did a total of 2 hours good revision, but again, I'm not panicking like I previously would have because I don't care. I'm only writing this for something to do.

I feel exactly the same way. I have done so much revision throughout the year that I am completely worn out and have lost motivation to revise. I know its difficult but its only another few more weeks till all this **** is over. Just hang in there and keep going. Don't let the last 2 years of hard work be a waste. Also I am sure that you don't want to have that awful feeling of regret on the 18th August. STAY STRONG!!! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Like other people have said stay strong- it will all be over soon. I wish you the best of luck!x
I completely feel you...so accurate w how I'm feeling.
Original post by aladdin818
I completely feel you...so accurate w how I'm feeling.

Least I'm not the only one, just the chosen one
- David Cameron
Same OP, I'm always exhausted. I'll wake up tired despite 8-9 hours sleep, then I'll have headaches throughout the day. But... I think of it as we've only got 1 month left and we've come this far, lets show them examiners what we're capable of.

Hope you feel better soon OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunshine774
I have done no revision and I am just cramming it all in half term... but it is really stressing me out!
What about you?:smile:

Exactly relatable done some revision olny of science but other than that nothing now I'm cramming every inch. And planning to do full days of revision which came to be suprisingly difficult . Got one day where I have 4 exams and that stresses me so much as I don't have time to revise all of it😭😱😱😱
Reply 13
Over the past few months I have gradually been losing the will to revise, and pretty much the will to live. I am taking my A2s but I literally cannot revise. Over the past 4 days I have planned revision, but once I sit down and try and do work my mind just wanders and I cannot concentrate, as hard as I try. I end up doing nothing, but the worst part is that I don't even really care. I need A*AA in Maths Chem and Bio, but I'm well on the way to DDD and I don't care. I literally don't care and would happily give up and curl up and die right now. I also am exhausted all the time.

i myself have suffered from depression (it's under control atm and i'm on medication) and i can whole-heartedly sympathise with you. I'm really struggling with motivation too!

First of all, please don't be too hard on yourself. If you're anything like me, you'll be too harsh on yourself when you've had a bad day and not got much/anything done (today being a prime example for me). Understand that no-one can give 100% everyday, it would burn us out if we did that.

The rest of my advice is fairly typical unfortunately but honestly make sure you get enough sleep! I'm so lazy and hate getting up in the morning, but i figured that forcing myself to wake up on little sleep meant that i didnt really get anything done that day anyway, so now i've got myself into a sleeping pattern where i try and get the day started by 10, but if i feel i can start earlier i will and if i feel i need more sleep in order to concentrate properly i will let myself sleep.

the other thing is to look after yourself if you don't already! like in terms of diet, make sure you're eating properly as if you eat junk food honestly it'll make you feel so sluggish! Drink plenty too, and just focus on making sure your health is good.

Last thing is excersise, or getting out, or just changing your environment. I tend to just move about the house a lot (i hate exercise and lets be honest british weather right now is shite), but it's refreshing to just get up and have a change in space? But if you can make yourself do some exercise then i can almost guarentee that you'll feel even better.

Try typing in 'motivational music' on youtube (cheesy i know but hear me out) and just have some playing quietly in the background while you study, i've found this works sometimes, sometimes not, i just roll with it. Sometimes just reading a load of motivational quotes on google images can jig something as well, like i said sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I'm no saint, like i said i haven't done any revision today and i feel **** about myself for it but i'm gunna keep my hopes high and maybe i'll feel like doing some this evening. Oh that's another thing, try and find your best time to study! I tend to get the most done in the morning first thing, nothing done during the day, and a little done during the evening, so yeah i work around that and don't **** on myself if i don't get enough done during the day as long as i make up for it in the morning/evening.

It might be worth mentioning that i've done my a levels from home on a distance learning course, so i'm essentially self taught so as you can imagine motivation and self discipline is something that i'm well practiced in! I achieved BCD last year and although i wasn't thrilled i wasnt too hard on myself and just kept my head high, and i will do my best this year but i'm not expecting a miracle.

So yeah these are the things i would try and put in place if you haven't already, take it from me who has been struggling with motivation and i have to motivate myself haha!

But yeah hope this helps, keep your head high and just try your best as that's all you can do, remember you're not alone and loads of people (myself included) are in the same boat and feeling the same way, but also look ahead to the end of exams! It's so close now and it'd be such a shame to fall at the last hurdle, just imagine what an achievement it'd be to actually get to the end?! Especially after you've been feeling so crap, honestly like that's an achievement in itself:smile:

i'm rambly as fu$k so i'll stop now aha but yeah, good luck and keep going:smile:
Well I've burnt out too. BUT ITS THE HOME FREAKING RUN! JUST DO IT GODDAMIT. ONE MONTH OF EXAMS LEFT. ONE MORE MONTH AND THEN YOU CAN SLEEP FOOOOREVER
Reply 15
Original post by Someboady
Well I've burnt out too. BUT ITS THE HOME FREAKING RUN! JUST DO IT GODDAMIT. ONE MONTH OF EXAMS LEFT. ONE MORE MONTH AND THEN YOU CAN SLEEP FOOOOREVER

I AGREE LEGGOOOOOOOO:ahee::p: :nutcase:
Original post by harun_farah
Me too

Me three

Very encouraging 👌
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Very encouraging 👌

Haahhahha that was a year ago, I'm out of motivation this year xD
Haahhahha that was a year ago, I'm out of motivation this year xD

😂 but it's encouraged a GCSE student.

Quick Reply

Latest