The Student Room Group

Course change? College change?

I am so stuck, I'm 8 months into sixth form and I've recently changed one of my course from maths to sociology and I'm trying to play catch up with it which is useless because I haven't been given resources by the teachers and now it has me thinking that I don't want to go into my career choice that I made earlier on in the year - becoming a criminologist. However, I've really had an eye for design and I had a thinking day a few days ago and I was wondering if it was worth me trying something else like textiles and fashion because I've always been interested in it. I need suggestions? Or advice? I also currently run an after school textiles club for the school which is for anyone from year 7 up to year 13
Reply 1
Original post by Sophia.0105
I am so stuck, I'm 8 months into sixth form and I've recently changed one of my course from maths to sociology and I'm trying to play catch up with it which is useless because I haven't been given resources by the teachers and now it has me thinking that I don't want to go into my career choice that I made earlier on in the year - becoming a criminologist. However, I've really had an eye for design and I had a thinking day a few days ago and I was wondering if it was worth me trying something else like textiles and fashion because I've always been interested in it. I need suggestions? Or advice? I also currently run an after school textiles club for the school which is for anyone from year 7 up to year 13

For sociology, ask your classmates for notes and copy any handouts they have been given. Even if you do not have notes, you can easily learn everything you need from the book. I know this because my attendance was bad (71%) and I still got A thanks to the book (which had WAAAY more information than I needed). I did sociology and at least for my specification (OCR), this is what you need to know to get A in AS sociology:

- the main sociological approaches
- 3 advantages and disadvantages of each sociological approach
- the essay structure
- key terms
- theories of identity
- culture theories and studies (for example, these feral children: Amala and Kamala, Isabel the chicken girl, Oxana Malaya)
- five studies of each factor that can influence identity (age, gender, sexuality, nationality, and anything else I might have missed)
- the optional topic (mine was the media, but it could very well be family for you): theories and studies
- positivism and interpretivism
- research methods (e.g. questionnaires, natural experiments, etc)
- advantges and disadvatages of every theory (up to 3 for the major ones, just 1-2 for the minor ones), study (usually, 2 of each is enough, but you might want to know more just in case), and research method (3)

Only take Textiles and other art subjects at A-level if you want a career in them.

I suggest you think well about your next choice. Read more about jobs in criminology and in the textiles and fashion industry. You are the only person who can decide if criminology, textiles, fashion or anything else is for you. Look into universities and see which one has a more appealing course in one of these two (or other) subjects. Consider which one is more suitable to you.

If you want to move to another sixth form or college, even if your exam board changes at the new school, you can continue with your AS subjects and go from say AQA History to Edexcel History.

Best of luck! :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
I did textiles AS and it took up A LOT of time... :frown: (I did make a pretty cool product at the end though ) most people in the class took it as a relax subject, it was pretty fun though tbf
Reply 3
Thank you for that, it really helped, especially since it's the first time that i'm asking anything on the student room. i've always had an interest in fashion and textiles but with criminology its something i've been interested in just because of the mystery and problem solving. Do you think there is anyone i should talk to about this?

Original post by Michiyo
For sociology, ask your classmates for notes and copy any handouts they have been given. Even if you do not have notes, you can easily learn everything you need from the book. I know this because my attendance was bad (71%) and I still got A thanks to the book (which had WAAAY more information than I needed). I did sociology and at least for my specification (OCR), this is what you need to know to get A in AS sociology:

- the main sociological approaches
- 3 advantages and disadvantages of each sociological approach
- the essay structure
- key terms
- theories of identity
- culture theories and studies (for example, these feral children: Amala and Kamala, Isabel the chicken girl, Oxana Malaya)
- five studies of each factor that can influence identity (age, gender, sexuality, nationality, and anything else I might have missed)
- the optional topic (mine was the media, but it could very well be family for you): theories and studies
- positivism and interpretivism
- research methods (e.g. questionnaires, natural experiments, etc)
- advantges and disadvatages of every theory (up to 3 for the major ones, just 1-2 for the minor ones), study (usually, 2 of each is enough, but you might want to know more just in case), and research method (3)

Only take Textiles and other art subjects at A-level if you want a career in them.

I suggest you think well about your next choice. Read more about jobs in criminology and in the textiles and fashion industry. You are the only person who can decide if criminology, textiles, fashion or anything else is for you. Look into universities and see which one has a more appealing course in one of these two (or other) subjects. Consider which one is more suitable to you.

If you want to move to another sixth form or college, even if your exam board changes at the new school, you can continue with your AS subjects and go from say AQA History to Edexcel History.

Best of luck! :hugs:
Reply 4
what did you actually do and why did you do it? did you enjoy it? I'm just curious because I'm thinking of changing it and I'm more on the side of changing it rather than staying with my current courses.

Original post by bizzy_penguin
I did textiles AS and it took up A LOT of time... :frown: (I did make a pretty cool product at the end though ) most people in the class took it as a relax subject, it was pretty fun though tbf
Reply 5
Thank you for that, it really helped, especially since it's the first time that i'm asking anything on the student room. i've always had an interest in fashion and textiles but with criminology its something i've been interested in just because of the mystery and problem solving. Do you think there is anyone i should talk to about this?

Hmm, maybe your school guidance counselor can help? Ask your personal tutor if there is anyone in the school who can help you decide on a unversity course and what to do next. There has to be someone who knows about that :h: (In my school, they were named the ASPECT team, but I doubt that is a universal name.)
Reply 6
Well, there is a few people, we've got a careers advisor and a team called the BEST team, I guess they could help, and especially my form tutor, thank you! I hope my teacher doesn't get fed up with me because I keep changing my mind with certain things.

Original post by Michiyo
Hmm, maybe your school guidance counselor can help? Ask your personal tutor if there is anyone in the school who can help you decide on a unversity course and what to do next. There has to be someone who knows about that :h: (In my school, they were named the ASPECT team, but I doubt that is a universal name.)
Reply 7
Well, there is a few people, we've got a careers advisor and a team called the BEST team, I guess they could help, and especially my form tutor, thank you! I hope my teacher doesn't get fed up with me because I keep changing my mind with certain things.

Go ahead and book a meeting with them! They might be able to help :hugs:

You are welcome. :h:

Nah, she will not, she does not have a choice :laugh:
Reply 8
LMAOOOOO :clap2::clap2::rofl3:ill update this when i can!
Original post by Michiyo
Go ahead and book a meeting with them! They might be able to help :hugs:

You are welcome. :h:

Nah, she will not, she does not have a choice:laugh:
Reply 9
LMAOOOOO :clap2::clap2::rofl3:ill update this when i can!

Soooo...I've decided to stay another year - up until year 13 - for now. I'll be deciding whether i still want to do the other course with some more time to think about it, i guess this will also give me some more time to adjust and become better at this passion of mine.
Thank you all for your suggestions! LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Quick Reply

Latest