The Student Room Group

Worried about WJEC English.

I feel confident in every subject, except English. Anyone with tips?
Original post by Samosa and Vada

I feel exactly the same. I hate English and especially WJEC English Literature. For poetry I'm preparing 1 language, form and structures point I could say for each poem and then I will pair them for the comparative one and do the same. I don't really know about the rest, but I will do something similar for them, but I'm pretty behind on revision for GCSEs as I only really started this evening. What other literature books/plays are you doing?
Well, at least you aren't doing WJEC System's and Controls, we learn about trees and product design more than we learn about electronic circuits.
Original post by pizza4ever
I feel exactly the same. I hate English and especially WJEC English Literature. For poetry I'm preparing 1 language, form and structures point I could say for each poem and then I will pair them for the comparative one and do the same. I don't really know about the rest, but I will do something similar for them, but I'm pretty behind on revision for GCSEs as I only really started this evening. What other literature books/plays are you doing?

Romeo and Juliet, Jekyll and Hyde, an inspecter calls.
How do you answer language paper questions? I really struggling on them.
Romeo and Juliet, Jekyll and Hyde, an inspecter calls.
How do you answer language paper questions? I really struggling on them.

Revising from bbc bitesize the night before boosted my mark by a few marks in my mocks compared to my year 10 exams so I got 36/40 for the non-fiction questions and 32/40 for non-fiction writing(didn't do fiction). It tells you how to answer the questions and how to write the ceative part and by following the advice given it is so much easier. It has stuff on non-fiction, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful it would be as I haven't used it, but after looking at it, it seems pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zr9d7ty
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Well, at least you aren't doing WJEC System's and Controls, we learn about trees and product design more than we learn about electronic circuits.

WJEC sucks
Revising from bbc bitesize the night before boosted my mark by a few marks in my mocks compared to my year 10 exams so I got 36/40 for the non-fiction questions and 32/40 for non-fiction writing(didn't do fiction). It tells you how to answer the questions and how to write the ceative part and by following the advice given it is so much easier. It has stuff on non-fiction, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful it would be as I haven't used it, but after looking at it, it seems pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zr9d7ty

Thank you, that's impressive scores. Could you possibly say how do you structure you answer for example Paper 1, Question 2 is worth 5 marks and 'How' question so how do you structure that? And Q3 is 'Impression' question worth 10 marks. I struggle to structure my answers. Thanks so much!
Thank you, that's impressive scores. Could you possibly say how do you structure you answer for example Paper 1, Question 2 is worth 5 marks and 'How' question so how do you structure that? And Q3 is 'Impression' question worth 10 marks. I struggle to structure my answers. Thanks so much!

Sorry, I'm not really sure, but I looked at something my teacher gave me and it was 1 piece of evidence and analysis then repeating that for the number of marks.

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you
I have WJEC English
All i'm good at is Transactional and Creative for Language
Literature i'm stuck at Band 4-
Sorry, I'm not really sure, but I looked at something my teacher gave me and it was 1 piece of evidence and analysis then repeating that for the number of marks.

Yes, we are told the same quote+comment. Seems like teacher are clueless.
Original post by Taran001
I'm in the EXACT same boat as you
I have WJEC English
All i'm good at is Transactional and Creative for Language
Literature i'm stuck at Band 4-

All I am good at is transactional writing.
Yes in literature I am getting band 4 as well. What grade is that? My teacher said 5.
Yes, we are told the same quote+comment. Seems like teacher are clueless.

ikr, sometimes the stuff they say is not very helpful
All I am good at is transactional writing.
Yes in literature I am getting band 4 as well. What grade is that? My teacher said 5.

What the teacher's are telling us is bull****
If band 4 is a 5 then 4 grades will be lodged in band 5 which is extremely unlikely
Teachers have no idea what the boundaries are
Eg: last year for wjec boundaries for A were 65%
And they telling us you need 80% for an A
when exams have gotten harder
Band 5: 8/9
Band 4: 6/7
Band 3: 4/5
Band 2 2/3
Band 1: 1
I hate english and i'm pretty sure this is more of an educated prediction than 80% for an A what they're telling us
What the teacher's are telling us is bull****
If band 4 is a 5 then 4 grades will be lodged in band 5 which is extremely unlikely
Teachers have no idea what the boundaries are
Eg: last year for wjec boundaries for A were 65%
And they telling us you need 80% for an A
when exams have gotten harder
Band 5: 8/9
Band 4: 6/7
Band 3: 4/5
Band 2 2/3
Band 1: 1
I hate english and i'm pretty sure this is more of an educated prediction than 80% for an A what they're telling us

Oh. My teacher said Band 4 is 5- in English literature. Basically, our English department is clueless because of this new spec. Do you know English language boundaries? And what do you think about 16/20 in tracnsactional my teacher said 6.
Oh. My teacher said Band 4 is 5- in English literature. Basically, our English department is clueless because of this new spec. Do you know English language boundaries? And what do you think about 16/20 in tracnsactional my teacher said 6.

If you're doing WJEC, grades are on an A*-G scale, unless you're doing Eduqas. (Wales's GCSE grading hasn't changed).

It isn't 80% for an A, it's 80% UMS marks for an A, which is a different thing entirely to raw marks.

16/20 is usually an A/A* (7/8) from when I did WJEC English
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you're doing WJEC, grades are on an A*-G scale, unless you're doing Eduqas. (Wales's GCSE grading hasn't changed).

It isn't 80% for an A, it's 80% UMS marks for an A, which is a different thing entirely to raw marks.

16/20 is usually an A/A* (7/8) from when I did WJEC English

Exactly its not 80% but our teachers think we're not working hard enough because we're not getting 80%.
I got 68% and it was a grade 4+
which is a grade c
Exactly its not 80% but our teachers think we're not working hard enough because we're not getting 80%.
I got 68% and it was a grade 4+
which is a grade c

Dw, they don't understand - it's the same at my school through GCSEs to A Level. They act very surprised on results day when everyone does much better than they thought, even though most were performing at that level in the first place.
I had full UMS on my unit one English literature in January but I have no idea what's going for the language new specification! Is anyone else doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest