The Student Room Group

Economics at Uni

Is it possible to apply for Economics at University without a maths/further maths A level, but an Economics A level?
very difficult as the course has a lot of maths particularly stats.

nevertheless im sure someone is bound to offer econ without a maths requirement or you could maybe look for a close substitute.
Reply 2
Original post by RevisionGuide
Is it possible to apply for Economics at University without a maths/further maths A level, but an Economics A level?

Yes.

e.g. https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/economics/
Nearly all of them require Maths, but FM and Economics are not requirements since not all schools offer them. I've had Economics offers without either of the latter subjects, but Maths is pretty essential.
Do any Uni's take into account Further Maths GCSE by any chance?
I have been researching economics degrees and the content at several uni's, and I was in doubt whether the maths involved would be advanced as I had done further maths at GCSE.
Reply 5
Do any Uni's take into account Further Maths GCSE by any chance?
I have been researching economics degrees and the content at several uni's, and I was in doubt whether the maths involved would be advanced as I had done further maths at GCSE.

I think they take it into account,but it would be nowhere near the weight of A-Level maths. I think some joint/alternative courses involve economics and don't need maths, like Land Economy at Cambridge. Maybe look into those?
Original post by TopCat12
I think they take it into account,but it would be nowhere near the weight of A-Level maths. I think some joint/alternative courses involve economics and don't need maths, like Land Economy at Cambridge. Maybe look into those?

So the financial style economics courses at Uni mainly require maths, but the other areas of economics may not require maths?
Reply 7
So the financial style economics courses at Uni mainly require maths, but the other areas of economics may not require maths?

Look at BA Economics

e.g. https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/ba-bsc-economics.aspx

Is there much difference between BA and BSC?
Reply 9
Is there much difference between BA and BSC?

Maths :wink:

(Check the course specifications for exact details - they are slightly different at every university.)

Sort of yeah, the more quantitative degrees need maths or even FM. If you want to get into finance it would be recommended to get a highly quantitative degree, a lot of analysts at big banks seem to have pure maths or economics degrees.
Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending