The Student Room Group

Do Hindus drink alcohol?

Do Hindus drink alcohol or is it prohibited?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arran90

It depends on which sect a Hindu belongs to and how liberal the person is.

Some sects are strictly against drinking but followers may still drink. Other sects leave the choice to the individual but advise moderation.

There's no clear cut answer.
Does Google exist?
Reply 3
Yeah

Have you ever seen Bollywood films
my friends do and their parents
Hinduism isn't an Abrahamic type religion with strict rules written in some holy book. It all depends on which branch of "Hinduism" you're talking about.
Reply 6
Original post by Arran90

Yes they do. Some families are bit more conservative so they may not. However it isn't forbidden like it is in Islam I believe
Reply 7
Original post by kaushikp
It depends on which sect a Hindu belongs to and how liberal the person is.

Some sects are strictly against drinking but followers may still drink. Other sects leave the choice to the individual but advise moderation.

There's no clear cut answer.

I find Hinduism to be a confusing and inconsistent religion. A Hindu at college did not drink alcohol. When asked why he replied that Hindus drink milk, not alcohol, and that drinking alcohol results in bad karma. He told me that he had never tried alcohol once in his life and neither did his parents drink alcohol.

I have encountered a few Hindus that drink alcohol. Some are quite secretive about it but others drink in public.

Does it have anything to do with the caste system?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arran90
I find Hinduism to be a confusing and inconsistent religion. A Hindu at college did not drink alcohol. When asked why he replied that Hindus drink milk, not alcohol, and that drinking alcohol results in bad karma. He told me that he had never tried alcohol once in his life and neither did his parents drink alcohol.

I have encountered a few Hindus that drink alcohol. Some are quite secretive about it but others drink in public.

I think most Hindus themselves find it to be quite confusing because of the diversity

It seems inconsistent because there are a plurality of viewpoints in the religion which is acceptable and even encouraged. As blah3210 said it's not like an Abrahamic religion with strict rules. There is not one single thing that is common amongst all Hindus.

Hinduism is more like a family of many different religious traditions and sectarian movements which all have separate approaches and philosophies. There is not a one size fits all approach

Does it have anything to do with the caste system?

Only as much as a certain caste/clan/community may belong to a sectarian movement which restricts alcohol consumption. Otherwise no.
My sister is going to a Hindu tonight and said she's going to be very drunk by the time she comes home.

Coming to think of it, it's possible that she said "Hen do"...
Yes they do.

Original post by WoodyMKC
My sister is going to a Hindu tonight and said she's going to be very drunk by the time she comes home.

I was going to make that joke :colonhash:
Reply 11
Original post by kaushikp
I think most Hindus themselves find it to be quite confusing because of the diversity

It seems inconsistent because there are a plurality of viewpoints in the religion which is acceptable and even encouraged. As blah3210 said it's not like an Abrahamic religion with strict rules. There is not one single thing that is common amongst all Hindus.

Hinduism is more like a family of many different religious traditions and sectarian movements which all have separate approaches and philosophies. There is not a one size fits all approach.

Ordinary rank and file Hindus never seem to read religious scriptures in the same way as followers of Abrahamic religions do.

Are parents and families the people who set many of the standards in Hinduism? Was the Hindu from college just following his parents who encouraged him to drink milk and refrain from drinking alcohol?
Original post by WoodyMKC

lol most likely hen night mate :wink:

But yes Hindus get smashed af. Their weddings are mental. Where I live there's loads of Indians.
Original post by Arran90

it depends on the family. my family is quite modern so my parents drink, go out to parties and occasionally socially smoke. me and my dad eat beef. i am 16 and most of my friends are white and so they know i smoke and drink because i am a teenager. from a youngish age i have been allowed wine and baileys and now when i go to restaurants i am allowed wine or whisky if it's someone's birthday. strict hindus may not allow this though. it depends on the family and their exposure to the world tbh. also i have a sister 10 years older than me so they treat me older than i am. however, bearing this in mind we are not a conservative family in the slightest, and i know many traditional hindu families would be against this. hope this helps!
Reply 14
Original post by nish2910
it depends on the family. my family is quite modern so my parents drink, go out to parties and occasionally socially smoke. me and my dad eat beef. i am 16 and most of my friends are white and so they know i smoke and drink because i am a teenager. from a youngish age i have been allowed wine and baileys and now when i go to restaurants i am allowed wine or whisky if it's someone's birthday. strict hindus may not allow this though. it depends on the family and their exposure to the world tbh. also i have a sister 10 years older than me so they treat me older than i am. however, bearing this in mind we are not a conservative family in the slightest, and i know many traditional hindu families would be against this. hope this helps!

Are Hindus prone to being shaped by the environment they grow up in?
Original post by Arran90
Are Hindus prone to being shaped by the environment they grow up in?

hindus not drinking alcohol is a generalised statement. i wanted to give a situation which showed a different aspect. as people have said before, there aren't a set of strict rules. it depends on your background and family. many religions are inconsistent, and some may feel hinduism is too. it is up to the background and the values of that family as well as the society they live in which will influence their view.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
What is consistent in Hinduism?
I am a Hindu and have been studying the religion for the past 2 years, once reading this, you will understand why Hindus may or may not drink alcohol and use their religion as good reasoning for their actions.

Hinduism is literally a term to refer to the people of Indus - 'Indoos', which was soon turned into 'Hindu'. Before the new term was given to the people in the land of Indus, the faith itself was called 'Sanathan Dharma', which cannot be translated to express the full meaning of the name, however, with loose translation, the name translates to 'eternal truth' or 'eternal way of life'.

'Sanathan Dharma' is literally a culture of vast literature and customs, alongside rituals and meditation that has formed into a religion due to western labelling. So what is the 'truth' of Hinduism? Although Hindus can be a polytheist, monotheist, alongside an atheist (due to belief by some that there is no need for God to be a Hindu, as Hinduism promotes soul enhancement rather than believe in a 5omni God), all Hindus must believe in the basic principles of: 'Dharma' = Duty, 'Atman' = Soul, Karma = Good and Bad actions result in consequence, Samsara = Cycle of reincarnation, Maya = Illusion, Moksha = Soul Peace. Everything else is secondary, usually dependent on what branch of Hinduism you choose to go down: Smartism, Vaishnavism, Shaivism or Shaktism.

Because morality is shaped through the belief of Karma and Samsara, rather than like in Abrahamic faiths where you are made to follow the rules written by the prophets to reach salvation, Hinduism allows people to be totally in control of their life and actions whilst having faith in whatever they want. I for example am a monotheist Hindu who drinks and smokes. Since lots of people don't think that drinking is a directly bad thing with many people arguing that it produces the best Karma of all - happiness, they drink, however, many people argue differently and take the more 'drinking is awful karma' route. Hindu scriptuers neither agree of disagree with intoxication, in fact, there is a lot of literature in the name of one of our demi-trimurtis, Lord Shiva, who's followers genuinely smoke weed to meditate under him, something that many Vaishnavs are against.

Hope this helps!!
Reply 18
I reckon Sankara liked a bevvy.
There is nothing that is prohibited in Hinduism but there are things that are discouraged like meat and intoxicants.

So some Hindus drink alcohol and some do not.

https://www.quora.com/Do-Hindus-drink-alcohol

https://www.quora.com/Is-drinking-allowed-in-Bhagwad-Gita
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending