The Student Room Group

logs help

idk how you get y=10^3log+2 according to the mark scheme?
Original post by penelopecrux

Can you post your attempt?

The straight line would be an equation in the form log(y)b=m[log(x)a]\log(y)-b=m[\log(x)-a] where mm is the gradient and (a,b)(a,b) a point that it passes through. Then just solve for yy.
Simply you have the equation of a straight line y = mx + c then you replace x,m and c with the equal terms from the graph. Leave y because the questions answer has y and not log10y as the function.
Original post by _gcx
Can you post your attempt?

this is my attempt
this is my attempt

How can we "cancel" the logarithm on the LHS, to write the equation in the form y=f(x)y=f(x)?
Original post by _gcx
How can we "cancel" the logarithm on the LHS, to write the equation in the form y=f(x)y=f(x)?

would u write the 2 as log100?
would u write the 2 as log100?

You could, but no point. Just think of an operation that gets rid off the log on the LHS, and apply it on both sides.
Original post by RDKGames
You could, but no point. Just think of an operation that gets rid off the log on the LHS, and apply it on both sides.

i'm not rlly sure tbh, all i can think to do is just to put the 3 up as a power to the x
i'm not rlly sure tbh, all i can think to do is just to put the 3 up as a power to the x

What's the reverse operation of taking the logarithm??

If I wanted to find xx in 2x=82^x=8 and I would take the logarithm of both sides which gives log(2x)=log(8)\log(2^x)=\log(8)

So the reverse operation is to...?
(edited 7 years ago)
What's the reverse operation of taking the logarithm??

If I wanted to find xx in 2x=82^x=8 and I would take the logarithm of both sides which gives log(2x)=log(8)\log(2^x)=\log(8)

So the reverse operation is to...?

take logs of both sides?
take logs of both sides?

No, you'd exponentiate both sides...

If I go back from log(2x)\log(2^x) I don't take logs to both sides, because then I'd have log(log(2x))\log(\log(2^x)).

Instead you need to take the expression and put it as the exponent to the base of the logarithm. So log(2x)=log(8)10log(2x)=10log(8)\log(2^x)=\log(8) \Rightarrow 10^{\log(2^x)}=10^{\log(8)} and it simplifies from there. (note that log\log is the same as log10\log_{10})

You may wish to review this in your chapter.
No, you'd exponentiate both sides...

If I go back from log(2x)\log(2^x) I don't take logs to both sides, because then I'd have log(log(2x))\log(\log(2^x)).

Instead you need to take the expression and put it as the exponent to the base of the logarithm. So log(2x)=log(8)10log(2x)=10log(8)\log(2^x)=\log(8) \Rightarrow 10^{\log(2^x)}=10^{\log(8)} and it simplifies from there. (note that log\log is the same as log10\log_{10})

You may wish to review this in your chapter.

yeah but how do i do that with the equation i have currently?
logy=logx^3 +2)
yeah but how do i do that with the equation i have currently?
logy=logx^3 +2)

If we exponentiate xx (with base 10), then we have 10x10^x. How can we therefore exponentiate both sides of this equation?
Original post by _gcx
If we exponentiate xx (with base 10), then we have 10x10^x. How can we therefore exponentiate both sides of this equation?

i rly dont know
i rly dont know

10log10(y)=y=103log10(x)+210^{\log_{10}(y)}=y=10^{3\log_{10}(x)+2} and simplify RHS.

Again, you may wish to review this chapter - this is a very basic principle.
10log10(y)=y=103log10(x)+210^{\log_{10}(y)}=y=10^{3\log_{10}(x)+2} and simplify RHS.

Again, you may wish to review this chapter - this is a very basic principle.

yeah i'll definitely give it a review

i just don't get how logy turns into that??
apologies for all this :tongue:
yeah i'll definitely give it a review

i just don't get how logy turns into that??
apologies for all this :tongue:

ab=cloga(ab)=loga(c)bloga(a)=1=loga(c)\displaystyle a^b=c \Rightarrow \log_a(a^b)=\log_a(c) \Rightarrow b \underbrace{\log_a(a)}_{=1}=\log_a(c)

so b=loga(c)b=\log_a(c)

Happy with this??

Now start with the RHS

b=loga(c)ab=aloga(c)ab=c=aloga(c)b=\log_a(c) \Rightarrow a^b=a^{\log_a(c)} \Rightarrow a^b=c=a^{\log_a(c)} which in other words means aloga(c)=ca^{\log_a(c)}=c
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest