The Student Room Group

Tesco apologises for offensive Good Friday ad

http://news.sky.com/story/tesco-says-sorry-over-good-friday-got-better-beer-ad-10836078

Pretty insensitive ad if you ask me. Good Friday is a day of commemoration of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. It's not a celebration. However, in the spirit of Jesus, we should forgive.

Just to let any non-Christians know, we believe that Jesus is fully man and fully God. We believe that he lived a sinless life and performed miracles to prove he is God. We believe that he died a death he did not deserve to pay for the sins of mankind. We believe that anyone who has faith in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross will receive salvation. On Good Friday, we commemorate the sacrifice that he made and on Easter we celebrate his resurrection. One day, we believe, he will return to Earth to judge the living and the dead.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think we need to get all hot under the collar and melodramatic about it all. But it was crass and tasteless, and that's why they felt the need to apologise. However, to be fair, the vast majority of people in this country are non-practising christian or atheist, so their advert was probably technically correct.
Original post by Trapz99
http://news.sky.com/story/tesco-says-sorry-over-good-friday-got-better-beer-ad-10836078

Pretty insensitive ad if you ask me. Good Friday is a day of commemoration of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. It's not a celebration. However, in the spirit of Jesus, we should forgive.

Just to let any non-Christians know, we believe that Jesus is fully man and fully God. We believe that he lived a sinless life and performed miracles to prove he is God. We believe that he died a death he did not deserve to pay for the sins of mankind. We believe that anyone who has faith in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross will receive salvation. On Good Friday, we commemorate the sacrifice that he made and on Easter we celebrate his resurrection. One day, we believe, he will return to Earth to judge the living and the dead.

thats what happens when big companies try to capitalise on every damn thing blindly , research wouldve taken them 5 seconds if that
Christians don't believe Jesus is fully god, they believe he is the son of God.

God is a separate entity to them.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
I don't think we need to get all hot under the collar and melodramatic about it all. But it was crass and tasteless, and that's why they felt the need to apologise. However, to be fair, the vast majority of people in this country are non-practising christian or atheist, so their advert was probably technically correct.

Yeah but Good Friday really is a Christian celebration. Easter is something commercial and celebrated by everyone but Good Friday is, in my view, purely a Christian commemoration. I don't know anyone non-Christians that commemorate it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but Good Friday really is a Christian celebration. Easter is something commercial and celebrated by everyone but Good Friday is, in my view, purely a Christian commemoration. I don't know anyone non-Christians that commemorate it.

Yes, I think that's a nice distinction, and having thought about that I agree with you. Tesco really was just cheaply using 'Good Friday' for the wordplay, which makes it rather more culpable.
Reply 6
Original post by Kravence
Christians don't believe Jesus is fully god, they believe he is the son of God.

God is a separate entity to them.

Christians believe in the Trinity. We believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. We believe that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are all fully God.
Christians get a poor deal.
Its ok to benefit from their bank holidays and festivals, but at the same time disrespect them.
Its still by far the largest religious group, although the 2011 Census figures are a bit outdated @59.3%. I expect its less than a majority now.
Its ok to mock them, but you arent allowed to with certain other religions.
Original post by Trapz99

Oh boo boo.Your beliefs are just as utterly ridiculous as the scientologists belief in the Galactic overlord Xenu.The only difference is that we have had 2000 years of Christian stupidity as opposed to 100 years.
Original post by Robby2312
Oh boo boo.Your beliefs are just as utterly ridiculous as the scientologists belief in the Galactic overlord Xenu.The only difference is that we have had 2000 years of Christian stupidity as opposed to 100 years.

Why can't you people just have some respect for other people and their choices? Why are you so intolerant of other people's views and beliefs which have no effect or impact on you?
Reply 10

That's your belief and you can believe that Christianity is false if you want to. But I believe stroke that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, is fully God and fully human, and that he came to Earth and made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross so that we can be saved through faith in Him. I respect your decision not to believe but you should have some respect for people who have different views to you.
Reply 11
Original post by Onde
Maybe this is what Christian doctrine means by the unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

There are no unforgivable sins in Christianity. At least that's the belief of most Christians.
Why can't you people just have some respect for other people and their choices? Why are you so intolerant of other people's views and beliefs which have no effect or impact on you?

Because those beliefs have been pulling humanity down for centuries upon centuries.Its high time people called out this rubbish for what it is instead of pandering to it and pretending it is in any way sensible or deserving of respect.
Because those beliefs have been pulling humanity down for centuries upon centuries.Its high time people called out this rubbish for what it is instead of pandering to it and pretending it is in any way sensible or deserving of respect.

Don't you think it's a bit of a shame that you can't get on with living your own life, rather than having to busy yourself fussing around with other people's beliefs and choices. Isn't it rather wasted energy and emotion? I ask again - how does someone else's belief in Jesus Christ affect your life?

Why cant people believe what they wish to believe?
Why are you unable to respect someones right to follow a religion if they choose to do so?

How are you calling it out?
Do you have respect for anyone or anything?
There is literally nothing offensive about that.

As per usual it's religious people throwing a tantrum at anything that mildly inconveniences them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't you think it's a bit of a shame that you can't get on with living your own life, rather than having to busy yourself fussing around with other people's beliefs and choices. Isn't it rather wasted energy and emotion? I ask again - how does someone else's belief in Jesus Christ affect your life?

Well religion is the main reason the world is so homophobic so yeah actually it does effect me.Also it affects a whole range of things like the government and the laws in society,you only have to look at America to see that.If a society is strongly Christian it's more likely to vote for stuff like creationism in schools or anti-abortion laws.Its one of the main reasons abortion is still not legal in northern Ireland or if it is legal it's heavily frowned upon.Actually I think it's a shame that people can't see the beauty and majesty of the universe we live in without resorting to magic and mythology.

This thread is an example of how religion imposes itself on, and affects, others.

A very limited example, but an example nonetheless of the influence superstitious beliefs continue to hold over society.
It's an extended bank holiday. People doing :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y jobs use it to get tanked and forget their worries.

There is nothing offensive about that advert. It is just some Christians are more sensitive than even the most radical feminists or SJWs and love getting offended over anything minor.
Original post by 999tigger
Why cant people believe what they wish to believe?
Why are you unable to respect someones right to follow a religion if they choose to do so?

How are you calling it out?
Do you have respect for anyone or anything?

People have the right to follow a belief and I have the right to call said beliefs stupid.Its called free speech.I have respect for things that deserve respect.People deserve respect.Beliefs in magic and superstition do not.

Religion holds enormous sway over society.We have to respect peoples right to eat halal meat even though it causes animals enormous pain.We have to respect peoples right to lie to children through faith schools which are actively harmful.The president in America is not even allowed to be atheist.Its because of religion that women are told to cover up in so many parts of the world or are told they are sinful if they have sex.Christianity was responsible for loads of deaths during the HIV crisis in Africa because it refused to sanction the use of condoms and contraception.These are just a few examples of the ways in which religion has held back society.It is not a force for good.It is very much a harmful thing.

Quick Reply

Latest