The Student Room Group

Concentrated Sulfuric Acid reactions with Sodium Halides

I just did a past paper (AQA) and one of the questions asked for an equation for the reaction between Sodium Bromide and concentrated Sulfuric Acid.

The reaction that I wrote than did not include the redox products, as I have been taught it. I simply had Na2SO4 and HBr as the products.

This is the equation given on the mark scheme: Capture.PNG

Is this always the overall equation you are expected to know? And could someone post the full equations for the reaction of Sodium Iodide with conc. H2SO4.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by voltz
I just did a past paper (AQA) and one of the questions asked for an equation for the reaction between Sodium Bromide and concentrated Sulfuric Acid.

The reaction that I wrote than did not include the redox products, as I have been taught it. I simply had Na2SO4 and HBr as the products.

This is the equation given on the mark scheme: Capture.PNG

Is this always the overall equation you are expected to know? And could someone post the full equations for the reaction of Sodium Iodide with conc. H2SO4.

They're in the textbook.
Reply 2
Original post by TeachChemistry
They're in the textbook.

I only have the Maths skills textbook, and my notes dont actually have the full equations:/

Do you know where I can find the full equations? I have looked at chemguide but they're not on there
Original post by voltz
I only have the Maths skills textbook, and my notes dont actually have the full equations:/

Do you know where I can find the full equations? I have looked at chemguide but they're not on there

I just put your thread title into Google. The first hit was chemguide page containing exactly what you asked for.
Reply 4
I just put your thread title into Google. The first hit was chemguide page containing exactly what you asked for.

Im just wondering about the SO2 and S since they produced too?
Capture.PNG
Original post by voltz
Im just wondering about the SO2 and S since they produced too?
Capture.PNG

Elemental S? Are you mixing this up with something else?
Reply 6
Elemental S? Are you mixing this up with something else?

Iodide reduces H2SO4 so SO2, S, and H2S if im not mistaken?
Original post by voltz

6HI + H2SO4 --> S + 3I2 + 4H2O

Not sure if this is what you want. I just worked it out, didn't find it anywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by voltz

That may be true, but the OP concerned bromide, not iodide.

Bromide can only reduce sulfate to SO2.

Iodide is a better reducing agent, so sulfate can go to S and H2S.
Reply 9
Original post by Pigster
That may be true, but the OP concerned bromide, not iodide.

Bromide can only reduce sulfate to SO2.

Iodide is a better reducing agent, so sulfate can go to S and H2S.

Do you have the full equation for Iodide?
Original post by voltz
Do you have the full equation for Iodide?

I am still unclear about what you mean by the full equation.

SO42- is reduced to SO2 which is further reduced to S which is further reduced to H2S. There is no one specific equation that has all of these products in it.
Reply 11
I am still unclear about what you mean by the full equation.

SO42- is reduced to SO2 which is further reduced to S which is further reduced to H2S. There is no one specific equation that has all of these products in it.

The equation I attached at the start of the thread with bromide ions has the reduction products aswell, whereas I am used to simple showing Na2SO4 and HBr as the products, so am firstly unsure if you will always be expected to show the reduction products when asked for the reaction between a sodium halide and conc. sulfuric acid, and second was wondering if you know the full equation with NaI which has the redox products as well as Na2SO4 and HI.

Sorry for my lack of clarity, I hope this makes more sense
Want to have a go at this? I've run out of ideas.
Reply 13
Want to have a go at this? I've run out of ideas.

Appreciate the help:smile:
Original post by voltz
so am firstly unsure if you will always be expected to show...

That depends on your exam board. AQA ? (assuming you're UK based).

If I'm right, they only expect ionic equations (unless things have majorly changed since I stopped teaching AQA).

Original post by voltz
was wondering if you know the full equation with NaI which has the redox products as well as Na2SO4 and HI.

The issue is that you cannot really show the three reduction products with iodide in one balanced equation as it would suggest the molar ratio of the three products.

You can show them as the full balanced equations below, but just about everyone uses the ionic (redox) equations. (I had to write these out as I couldn't find them to copy and paste - sorry if I've made any typos)

No redox: 2NaI + H2SO4 ->Na2SO4 + 2HI
1st reduction: 2H2SO4 + 2NaI -> Na2SO4 + SO2 + I2 + 2H2O
2nd reduction: 4H2SO4 + 6NaI -> 3Na2SO4 + S + 3I2 + 4H2O
3rd reduction: 5H2SO4 + 8NaI -> 4Na2SO4 + H2S + 4I2 + 5H2O

A rather full description of what is going on (and some other stuff): http://www.docbrown.info/page07/ASA2group7b.htm
Reply 15
Original post by Pigster
That depends on your exam board. AQA ? (assuming you're UK based).

If I'm right, they only expect ionic equations (unless things have majorly changed since I stopped teaching AQA).

The issue is that you cannot really show the three reduction products with iodide in one balanced equation as it would suggest the molar ratio of the three products.

You can show them as the full balanced equations below, but just about everyone uses the ionic (redox) equations. (I had to write these out as I couldn't find them to copy and paste - sorry if I've made any typos)

No redox: 2NaI + H2SO4 ->Na2SO4 + 2HI
1st reduction: 2H2SO4 + 2NaI -> Na2SO4 + SO2 + I2 + 2H2O
2nd reduction: 4H2SO4 + 6NaI -> 3Na2SO4 + S + 3I2 + 4H2O
3rd reduction: 5H2SO4 + 8NaI -> 4Na2SO4 + H2S + 4I2 + 5H2O

A rather full description of what is going on (and some other stuff): http://www.docbrown.info/page07/ASA2group7b.htm

Yes, AQA but the spec has changed recently.

I thought the same thing but the specimen paper is where I the answer included the redox products for the reaction with NaBr.

Would I just be best off writing the equation without the redox products unless asked for them?
Original post by voltz
Yes, AQA but the spec has changed recently.

I thought the same thing but the specimen paper is where I the answer included the redox products for the reaction with NaBr.

Would I just be best off writing the equation without the redox products unless asked for them?

link for the specimen paper please
Original post by voltz

Your spec says: "The trend in reducing ability of the halide ions, including the reactions of solid sodium halides with concentrated sulfuric acid."

They want you to write equations that show the reduction products.

The trend they want you to show is that Cl- and F- do not reduce the S. Br- can reduce S to SO2 only and I- can reduce S to SO2, S and H2S. AND show these reactions as equations, either as overall equations OR as ionic equations.
Reply 18
Original post by chem revision
link for the specimen paper please

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/assessment-resources

Its specimen paper 1 AS
Reply 19
Original post by Pigster
Your spec says: "The trend in reducing ability of the halide ions, including the reactions of solid sodium halides with concentrated sulfuric acid."

They want you to write equations that show the reduction products.

The trend they want you to show is that Cl- and F- do not reduce the S. Br- can reduce S to SO2 only and I- can reduce S to SO2, S and H2S. AND show these reactions as equations, either as overall equations OR as ionic equations.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest