The Student Room Group

Gcse latin 2017

Hi :smile:

Is anyone else taking the OCR GCSE Latin course for GCSE this year?
I am privately tutored outside of my normal school lessons, and my tutor is going on holiday for 3 weeks. The Latin exams are some of the first on my timetable, so I need to learn the vocab, grammar, and set texts as soon as possible.

I've downloaded all of the past language 1 and 2 papers to go through, however, all of the set texts for previous years are different to the ones I am doing, and my teacher is away, so I can't ask her for any.

The set texts I am doing are:
Prose:
Messalina
Ummidia Quadratilla
Verse:
Catullus
Ovid

Is anyone else doing these set texts and has any papers or questions they could possibly share with me? I struggle with answering some of the longer literature questions so I need as much practise as I can get, as my notes aren't very helpful.

Thanks to anyone, and even if you don't do the same set texts, feel free to comment about anything Latin. I could do with someone to talk to about the GCSE :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am doing Messalina and Ummidia Quadratilla, but I have the Aeneid book 1 instead of Ovid and Catullus

Our school offers Latin for GCSE and A-level, so we have a teacher for a class of 16 instead of a private tutor.
The teacher said that some of the most likely questions will be about characterisation, especially of Ummidia, Messalina, Claudius and Narcissus. Silius and Quadratus are possible but unlikely, as they are less important in the overall story so they cannot be part of 8 mark questions for sure.

Out of curiosity, Catullus and Ovid are love poets, aren't they? Our section of the Aeneid is about the Trojans' arrival in Libya, them going to Carthage, and Jupiter and Venus talking about Rome's future.
Original post by DoomFangMan
I am doing Messalina and Ummidia Quadratilla, but I have the Aeneid book 1 instead of Ovid and Catullus

Our school offers Latin for GCSE and A-level, so we have a teacher for a class of 16 instead of a private tutor.
The teacher said that some of the most likely questions will be about characterisation, especially of Ummidia, Messalina, Claudius and Narcissus. Silius and Quadratus are possible but unlikely, as they are less important in the overall story so they cannot be part of 8 mark questions for sure.

Out of curiosity, Catullus and Ovid are love poets, aren't they? Our section of the Aeneid is about the Trojans' arrival in Libya, them going to Carthage, and Jupiter and Venus talking about Rome's future.

Thanks that's actually very useful! So for Section A of the poems I am studying:
Catullus: Rejection in Love, Jealousy Takes Over, Ever Changing Love
Catullus: Catullus Struggles with Love, Passion fades
Ovid: Advice for would-be-lovers
As you can see, just from the titles, yes they are all love poets! I'm not exactly too sure why we did Section A instead of Section B. Anyway, our Latin teacher (it's just me and my friend that get the lesson out of school time) taught us the WRONG set texts (cue alarm bells!!) throughout the year, so we only just finished translating Ovid (58 lines altogether) last week- only 30 ish days to learn it all!
At least some of the other poems are smaller. Basically, in Ovid, there are some unpleasant references to men taking advantage of women, and Catullus laments for 5 poems about love and his girlfriend and how they aren't in love any more (he gets really self-pitying sometimes!)
Original post by sophieannie1515
Thanks that's actually very useful! So for Section A of the poems I am studying:
Catullus: Rejection in Love, Jealousy Takes Over, Ever Changing Love
Catullus: Catullus Struggles with Love, Passion fades
Ovid: Advice for would-be-lovers
As you can see, just from the titles, yes they are all love poets! I'm not exactly too sure why we did Section A instead of Section B. Anyway, our Latin teacher (it's just me and my friend that get the lesson out of school time) taught us the WRONG set texts (cue alarm bells!!) throughout the year, so we only just finished translating Ovid (58 lines altogether) last week- only 30 ish days to learn it all!
At least some of the other poems are smaller. Basically, in Ovid, there are some unpleasant references to men taking advantage of women, and Catullus laments for 5 poems about love and his girlfriend and how they aren't in love any more (he gets really self-pitying sometimes!)

Our teacher finished the translations two weeks ago which teaching us the right set texts :frown:
Did your teacher give any help as to how to learn the set texts? Focus on important parts, or just memorise the whole thing? Our teacher has not said much for revision strategies.

The Aeneid is interesting, but frankly most of the words are unfamiliar, in the opposite order (sometimes the subject of the sentence is 2 lines below the start of the sentence), and in forms we haven't come across before, so it's a nightmare trying to translate it. How are Ovid and Catullus? We looked at a little of each poet a couple of years ago for a lesson each, but I can't remember much from it
Hi, I'm doing Aeneid book 1 too. Are we supposed to study two texts then, one prose and one poetry? Because my Latin teachers only been doing the Aeneid with us.
Original post by MusiK.622
Hi, I'm doing Aeneid book 1 too. Are we supposed to study two texts then, one prose and one poetry? Because my Latin teachers only been doing the Aeneid with us.

It is possible that you are taking short course, or the Latin Sources unit instead, but for Full Course most people do one prose selection and one verse selection.

I suggest you ask your teachers about it though
It is possible that you are taking short course, or the Latin Sources unit instead, but for Full Course most people do one prose selection and one verse selection.

I suggest you ask your teachers about it though

Ohh right I am doing sources, I didn't realise it was an either/or situation. Thanks for the clarification:smile:
Reply 7
Here, have a vocab test I gave to my students:

Translate the following words.For nouns, there may be more than one case and/or number i.e. singular/plural e.g. puella = nom s / voc s / abl s
For verbs, write the tense and person, i.e. 1st/2nd/3rd singular/plural or whether it is infinitive, imperative etc.
illa
horum
tecum
trahens
datus
iubebatus
ianuae
inimici
facillimus
melior
nesciverat
docere
audi
modetempla
ibas
You must learn both prose texts and both both poetry texts (or just the one long one). Ummidia Quadratilla is short and isn't too difficult then. I am doing Messalina and Ummidia Quadratilla and The Aeneid (but also have 4 greek texts to learn :/). Best way is just to cram them and learn them in full and revise grammar points and facts such as Messalina's mother not liking her etc. You don't know which section you will have to translate so it helps to learn it all with emphasis on significant literary areas (e.g the bees in Aeneid).

Nothing worse than not learning it and sitting in the exam looking at words you donnt know :smile:.
Original post by LastMinuteRev
You must learn both prose texts and both both poetry texts (or just the one long one). Ummidia Quadratilla is short and isn't too difficult then. I am doing Messalina and Ummidia Quadratilla and The Aeneid (but also have 4 greek texts to learn :/). Best way is just to cram them and learn them in full and revise grammar points and facts such as Messalina's mother not liking her etc. You don't know which section you will have to translate so it helps to learn it all with emphasis on significant literary areas (e.g the bees in Aeneid).

Nothing worse than not learning it and sitting in the exam looking at words you donnt know :smile:.

As of last night, I know Ummidia Quadratilla (I can look at the Latin and translate it all almost correctly.) Now onto learning Messalina (which I know small, random sentences from.) My biggest worry is that some of my translation for both Ummidia and Messalina is incorrect. Although I have sheets of analysis for my Prose set texts, my teacher hasn't given us any analysis at all for my Verse set texts (she's on holiday all this week!) I only have a few points I noted down whilst she was talking.

I also need to consolidate my vocab, and desperately learn some grammar (I couldn;'t tell you the fourth declension if it depended on my life!)
I have my prose exam in 2 weeks. I have a long grammar booklet from my teacher but am pretty up to date. I've got a 16 page vocab booklet and I use quizlet which I would recommend.

Text notes are really easy to memorise and as long as you know maybe 5 style and 5 content for each section you should be fine.

I'm new to TSR but if there's a PM I can send some pics of papers for each section if it would help work through some analysis points?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I was wondering how do they calculate like the grade boundaries for the latin OCR? Cause I thought you had to get 90% to get an A* but i looked on the grade boundaries and it has like the mark you need to get on each paper to get an A* for that paper. So do they see how many A* you got across all the papers? Or do they add up the marks from all the papers and then see if it is 90%?
Original post by dx31
I was wondering how do they calculate like the grade boundaries for the latin OCR? Cause I thought you had to get 90% to get an A* but i looked on the grade boundaries and it has like the mark you need to get on each paper to get an A* for that paper. So do they see how many A* you got across all the papers? Or do they add up the marks from all the papers and then see if it is 90%?

The marks are scaled onto UMS points so the top, say, 5% of marks get 90 UMS or above, and the top 10% get 80 UMS, for each individual paper. Then they add together your UMS, and 360+ is A*, 320+ is A, 280+ is B etc.
Reply 13

I am privately tutored outside of my normal school lessons, and my tutor is going on holiday for 3 weeks. The Latin exams are some of the first on my timetable, so I need to learn the vocab, grammar, and set texts as soon as possible.

I've downloaded all of the past language 1 and 2 papers to go through, however, all of the set texts for previous years are different to the ones I am doing, and my teacher is away, so I can't ask her for any.

Prose:
Messalina
Ummidia Quadratilla
Verse:
Catullus
Ovid

Is anyone else doing these set texts and has any papers or questions they could possibly share with me? I struggle with answering some of the longer literature questions so I need as much practise as I can get, as my notes aren't very helpful.

Thanks to anyone, and even if you don't do the same set texts, feel free to comment about anything Latin. I could do with someone to talk to about the GCSE :smile:

I was in the a similar tutoring situation to you last year but i sat my GCSE Latin a year early (after 18 months of weekly Latin lessons ever!)

I'd recommend just listing beside (clean) copy of the verse and prose the vocab which isn't easily understandable and isn't on the vocab list (which i used to gt my dad to test me on weekly at least)
I also highlighted as many literary/poetry/language devices, spondees etc as i thought i could remember, aiming for five points at least each 8 mark question. I didn't try and write down the effect of any just thought through so as not to put pressure on myself to remember the exact words in my notes!

I'm not sure whether you were looking for revision advice but i thought anything might have been helpful, i did get 100% in two papers and 98% in the other two because i was desperate for anything that might help.
I hope this was helpful to at least one person!

Prose:
Messalina
Ummidia Quadratilla
Verse:
Catullus
Ovid

hey, I'm doing exactly the same as you! With the longer literature questions, i.e. the 10 markers, my latin teacher recommends that you do this:

Catullus uses the similies 'ut tupour' which means like a paralysis to emphasise how much his love to Lesbia is causing him to suffer and is ruining his life.
Thanks for all your replies guys! Turns out most of my translation for both Verse texts is wrong and I'm only being given a corrected version on Monday.
I asked my teacher to give me a list of analysis points and all she did was give things to look out for. All I have to say in this exam on Wednesday is the emphatic postioning of a million different words.

I regret taking Latin now although I love the language. I haven't even practised a 8 or 10 mark question or know what you have to do so I'm going to spend a long time reading over past papers for other texts.

I am definitely going to both wing and fail this exam!
Reply 16

I'm doing the same set texts as you
Reply 17
As of last night, I know Ummidia Quadratilla (I can look at the Latin and translate it all almost correctly.) Now onto learning Messalina (which I know small, random sentences from.) My biggest worry is that some of my translation for both Ummidia and Messalina is incorrect. Although I have sheets of analysis for my Prose set texts, my teacher hasn't given us any analysis at all for my Verse set texts (she's on holiday all this week!) I only have a few points I noted down whilst she was talking.

I also need to consolidate my vocab, and desperately learn some grammar (I couldn;'t tell you the fourth declension if it depended on my life!)[/QUO

If you need corrections for your translations ask me
Im doing latin Gcse and doing messalina ummidia Catullus and ovid. I have to say, despite having a class teacher, i'm still struggling. 8 markers for poetry is hard and 10 markers for prose is even harder. Best of luck to everyone on wednesday, friday, tuesday and thursday !!!
[QUOTE="5amer21;71434368"]

I also need to consolidate my vocab, and desperately learn some grammar (I couldn;'t tell you the fourth declension if it depended on my life!)[/QUO

If you need corrections for your translations ask me

Uv got it all wrong; learn all the vocab ASAP, this will get u a guaranteed B.Then noun tables 1-3 these are the bedrock to nouns adjectives and participles. Then learn verb ending; perfect, imperfet, pluperfect, future etc. Learn ablative absolutes gerundives and participles as these access the A-A* boundary. Finally rememer its on UMS point; you can get 54/60 which is very achievable and still get 100 UMS, meaning that you technically got 100% in the eyes of the exam board in will bring up your literature grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending