The Student Room Group

How easy is it to move to America?

Hi guys, it's always been a dream of mine to move to America - particularly California or Florida (I would've gone to uni out there but didn't have the money). I've already been granted a temporary Visa on two trips to the US but I understand the process towards a permanent one would be very different and have therefore done a good amount of research into how the move would work (getting a company to sponsor you, marriage etc.)

I'm 23, have GCSE and A-level qualifications as well as a degree in Journalism but have no family or relatives with any sort of US citizenship.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, taking everything into consideration, how easy would it be for me to move the US? I would love to hear from those who have already been through the move as your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've been driving since I was 17, would I have to re-learn to be granted a licence in America?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edwinstree
Hi guys, it's always been a dream of mine to move to America - particularly California or Florida (I would've gone to uni out there but didn't have the money). I've already been granted a temporary Visa on two trips to the US but I understand the process towards a permanent one would be very different and have therefore done a good amount of research into how the move would work (getting a company to sponsor you, marriage etc.)

I'm 23, have GCSE and A-level qualifications as well as a degree in Journalism but have no family or relatives with any sort of US citizenship.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, taking everything into consideration, how easy would it be for me to move the US? I would love to hear from those who have already been through the move as your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've been driving since I was 17, would I have to re-learn to be granted a licence in America?

Quite difficult - you're best chance is to try and secure a job with a company who will sponsor your work visa. Most large companies will have online application forms, but attending interviews/ assessment centres may be challenging (although some may let you interview via Skype). There are unfortunately a lot of journalism grads in the US who are also competing for a very small number of jobs, its a particularly challenging industry to get into. Perhaps you could look into British companies who might have offices in America?

There used to be a program whereby a few permanent residencies or something were handed out by lucky draw, I remember my friend entered, but the chance of getting a visa this way is very unlikely, and I feel like Trump might have already scrapped that program anyway...

Why are you so keen to move to America? You may find that other countries are also just as rewarding to work in and have much easier visa requirements, e.g. Canada, Australia, New Zealand (working holiday visas are really easy to get).
I don't know specifically about the driving licenses in America unfortunately, but usually most countries will let you use an international driving licence initially, but then require getting a local licence after half a year or so.
I would like to know this, it is my dream to move to Los Angles!

@dragonkeeper has got this right. It's not at all easy to immigrate into America, and certainly not without a job lined up and sponsorship from your employer.
Original post by dragonkeeper999

Why are you so keen to move to America? You may find that other countries are also just as rewarding to work in and have much easier visa requirements, e.g. Canada, Australia, New Zealand (working holiday visas are really easy to get).

I am super keen to live in Hollywood hills since it is my dream, Also I am a huge fan of American Cars and Fuel costs are a lot cheaper!

Really want to get to America some how!
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. When I was younger I used to dream of being an actor and moving to LA - but I gave up on that a long time ago. I suppose it might just be that I need a change of scenery, and I'd much rather live in America than anywhere else.

You're right about Trump by the way, things will only become stricter under him.
Original post by Steljoy
I am super keen to live in Hollywood hills since it is my dream, Also I am a huge fan of American Cars and Fuel costs are a lot cheaper!

Really want to get to America some how!

You would have to find an employer who would sponsor your work visa, this would be difficult for OP as he has journalism degree but would be a lot easier for you because of all the tech companies based in america. Try looking though them.

Another way would be to marry an american :dontknow:
Original post by Kravence
You would have to find an employer who would sponsor your work visa, this would be difficult for OP as he has journalism degree but would be a lot easier for you because of all the tech companies based in america. Try looking though them.

Another way would be to marry an american :dontknow:

I'll marry an American and Find a tech job in US hahaha :rofl:

Ultimate combo for Permanent Visa :laugh:

Spoiler

Original post by Steljoy
I'll marry an American and Find a tech job in US hahaha :rofl:

Ultimate combo for Permanent Visa :laugh:

Spoiler

Yeah I got my offer in March, we might end up in the same class

We most likely will, I can't wait to meet a legend like you in real life :five: :hugs:
you would have we re-learn the theory, cause obvo its diifferent to the UK!

CUTIES!!:hugs:
good things come to those who wait!!
oh btw @Steljoy did you miss me?
obvo not i see you been talking to a lotta other girls
smh smh smh

Original post by Steljoy
We most likely will, I can't wait to meet a legend like you in real life :five:
Original post by Steljoy
We most likely will, I can't wait to meet a legend like you in real life :five: :hugs:

I hope not to disappoint :laugh:
Original post by unillama
CUTIES!!:hugs:
good things come to those who wait!!
oh btw @Steljoy did you miss me?
obvo not i see you been talking to a lotta other girls
smh smh smh

Of course I missed you :hugs:

I talk to both girls and boys lol
equality, lucky for you thats what i like!!

Original post by Steljoy
Of course I missed you :hugs:

I talk to both girls and boys lol
I'm not 100% sure to be honest. When I was younger I used to dream of being an actor and moving to LA - but I gave up on that a long time ago. I suppose it might just be that I need a change of scenery, and I'd much rather live in America than anywhere else.

You're right about Trump by the way, things will only become stricter under him.

Sometimes we have to compromise on our dreams :wink: But that's not to say give up - start applying for jobs and looking into the details of moving to America to see how feasible it is for you :smile:

If you did instead consider one of the alternative countries I mentioned, the Working Holiday Visa scheme is the perfect opportunity to try out living in the country for a year or two without having to make any huge commitments. Also, it allows you to move out there, so you would be available for interviews/ assessment centres/ networking etc. which would really help :smile:
In short it's very difficult. Even if you can get a working visa the wait could be years, or if you apply as a skilled worker.

In Canada the process is slightly easier but still difficult, you can get a youth working holiday visa easily but if that is extended depends entirely on what you do for work while you are there.

There is another option and that is to find work with a company in the UK that has offices in the US (even if the job isn't in or related to journalism). Then you can just transfer through the company. I wouldn't say this this hard but it just takes time and determination to find that opportunity. If this is what you want to do, don't give up.

As far as driving in the US, yes, you will need to get a US drivers license if you expect to live there for the long-term. Since you already know how to drive, it shouldn't take you that long to learn.

As far as where to move, have you considered the climate of the states you want to move to? Florida is hot and humid. There are hurricanes that pass through it seems like in each of the past few years (have you seen the news last month?). If you move there, you need to find somewhere more inland. California, where I live, well, cost of living is higher. It has been hot beyond the summer. If you were looking to transfer through an international company, there would be a higher chance of transferring to this state than Florida. I think your most likely to find a job in major cities even if in another state you didn't mention. Don't limit yourself to just California or Florida.

Good luck.
Florida, srs? Are you not aware that this's the dream for all Americans outside of Florida?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTM2HQ0g98

Anyway, you'll need to get a job with a company, and get an H-1B visa to get here.

Latest

Trending

Trending