The Student Room Group

is ot normal to see halos around lights with nearsightedness

I see rainbow halos morning and night around lights and my vision isn't blurred or anything and it isn't painful yeah but I can see. The rainbow nonetheless, om worried is this serious ? I have -5.00 nearsightedness in botheyes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mango.peachy11
I see rainbow halos morning and night around lights and my vision isn't blurred or anything and it isn't painful yeah but I can see. The rainbow nonetheless, om worried is this serious ? I have -5.00 nearsightedness in botheyes

Have you mentioned it to your optician or doctor? It may be nothing serious but it won't do any harm to ask them to check. :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Have you mentioned it to your optician or doctor? It may be nothing serious but it won't do any harm to ask them to check. :smile:
do you think its serious and plus I wear glasses and this doesn't help much so os ot normal??
Reply 3

lol i've got similar vision and i just stared into my lamp for you to see if i could see rainbows and yeah i can see them really slightly if i try hahaha
Original post by spofy
lol i've got similar vision and i just stared into my lamp for you to see if i could see rainbows and yeah i can see them really slightly if i try hahaha

Hahaha do u wear glasses? What's ut prescription and can u actually see rainbows around lights particularly street lights?? I'm really worried plz help
Reply 5
Hahaha do u wear glasses? What's ut prescription and can u actually see rainbows around lights particularly street lights?? I'm really worried plz help

my prescription is pretty much the same as yours and idk about street lights since i dont go out at night especially without glasses/contacts but yeah i can see rainbows around lights, more so without glasses and i see weird stuff like a yellow glow coming from green paper when i have my glasses on idk if that's just my glasses giving that effect or something but it's pretty cool to me hahaahah
Original post by spofy
my prescription is pretty much the same as yours and idk about street lights since i dont go out at night especially without glasses/contacts but yeah i can see rainbows around lights, more so without glasses and i see weird stuff like a yellow glow coming from green paper when i have my glasses on idk if that's just my glasses giving that effect or something but it's pretty cool to me hahaahah
can u se dazzling lights when looking at the lights and can u see the rainbow even when wearing glasses and is it serious or just normal have u had ot checked
Reply 7
can u se dazzling lights when looking at the lights and can u see the rainbow even when wearing glasses and is it serious or just normal have u had ot checked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2567022/Seeing-rainbows-Its-time-eyes-checked.html

you might wanna get it checked actually just to be on the safe side. i cant see rainbows with my glasses on and i can only barely see them without my glasses - i last got my eyes checked likeeee late last year and they said my eyes are healthy and i dont have to see them for another two years - not that i ever mentioned 'rainbows' cos i never really noticed until i was compelled to try today, so im guessing it's fine but you seem like you see rainbows a lot stronger than i ever have so maybe get it checked out - only way to stop worrying is if you find out exactly what's up :smile:
Original post by spofy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2567022/Seeing-rainbows-Its-time-eyes-checked.html

you might wanna get it checked actually just to be on the safe side. i cant see rainbows with my glasses on and i can only barely see them without my glasses - i last got my eyes checked likeeee late last year and they said my eyes are healthy and i dont have to see them for another two years - not that i ever mentioned 'rainbows' cos i never really noticed until i was compelled to try today, so im guessing it's fine but you seem like you see rainbows a lot stronger than i ever have so maybe get it checked out - only way to stop worrying is if you find out exactly what's up :smile:

Can it be beacusw I need stronger glasses
Reply 9

i'm not sure haha im no optician
i dont ever remember seeing rainbows whenever my prescription got too weak
Original post by spofy
i'm not sure haha im no optician
i dont ever remember seeing rainbows whenever my prescription got too weak

ir prescription higher or lower than mine
Reply 11
ir prescription higher or lower than mine

i cant remember exactly but i think slightly higher
Original post by spofy
i cant remember exactly but i think slightly higher

I'm scared now I wonder y it's happening I'm freaking out now !!!
Reply 13

Don't panic - you don't know what it is yet. Just get it checked out asap to put your mind at ease :smile:

I had this a while ago and turned out I had a mild infection brewing. Wore off after a course of eye drops.

It can be related to corneal swelling but nothing that isn't going to cause overnight blindness. Just go to your optician.

It might be just the glasses having no anti-glare coating. On the other side, it could be you needing astigmatism correction.
You should visit an optician to check it.
Reply 16
Original post by Kathy89
It might be just the glasses having no anti-glare coating. On the other side, it could be you needing astigmatism correction.

yeah it might be that which would explain why i cant see the rainbows with my glasses but op can (i have the anti glare thing).
im also pretty sure i have astigmatism too if i remember right - optician said it means the lens of my eye is a funny shape or something? maybe that explains why i can see rainbows without glasses if i try
Original post by spofy
yeah it might be that which would explain why i cant see the rainbows with my glasses but op can (i have the anti glare thing).
im also pretty sure i have astigmatism too if i remember right - optician said it means the lens of my eye is a funny shape or something? maybe that explains why i can see rainbows without glasses if i try
yeah bit that's if you try o can just see it and idk of mu glasses do abe anti glare coating but do you not think that with glasses you should have clear vision and not see glare
Original post by Kathy89

Can it not be by needing stronger myopia
correction I don't think I have something serious like cataract or something because o heard ot rakes long to develop and I just got my vision checked last year ?? Idk what to do I'm really scared because it might be something serious??
Can it not be by needing stronger myopia
correction I don't think I have something serious like cataract or something because o heard ot rakes long to develop and I just got my vision checked last year ?? Idk what to do I'm really scared because it might be something serious??

Astigmatism might sound like something serious, it is a misshaped eye lens/cornea after all, however, most of the population have it in a certain level, it is not something to be scared of.
You should get checked soon, one year is enough for a noticeable change. And yes, higher myopia even with low astigmatism may cause halos and rainbows...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending