The Student Room Group

How much do you have saved?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
21 £15k cash £1500 in shares which is doubled by the company if I keep them for 5 years £5500 pension. Just spent £8k on a new car too. So total networth of £30k approx. Came from saving from my job.
I have a couple of hundred at the age of 26! Cry! I'm just approaching the end of my degree, so will be working afterwards and beginning to save with my OH. He's just come to the end of a share save scheme at work, so that will pay for most of the wedding! :smile: together we will be saving for a house deposit as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
so many liars on this thread ..

20, working part time before uni in September
£800
I think I have 20K, or is it 24? Something like that. I'm 24 though.
Original post by Bigdobber
Mkap has probably had a privileged upbringing in her ivory tower,you can't beat northerners for work ethic.KEEP THE FAITH LASS

Southerners are poor as :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:. 40K is nothing in London. It's madness

I've gone back up north for a reason
Oh I just realised that this s a 1 year old thread... and that I have less money than a year ago, but then I was fired for a while so...that explains it lol!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
12k is hardly an ivory tower upbringing..

I agree with 'Reue'... anyhow what's wrong with coming from an 'Ivory tower' with wisdom and humility a person can achieve a lot. I'm 'working class' - whatever that means; I'd happily save up for my children and give them things I couldn't have. I would also raise them to respect the value of money and use it properly. There are many well spoken, wealthy, educated people who get called 'snobs' when in person they are actually nice and respectful people. It's those from a similar economic background as myself that feel entitled - they never could admit it - while openly denouncing people wealthier than them.

Also there are plenty of people i know who not only dont have savings by inheritance, they chose not to work hard and save. They spend as if they have the money. I know A LOT of wealthy people who don't spend frivolously.

It's 12000 more than **** all.

Original post by Reue
Very astute of you. Doesn't mean someone had a particularly privileged upbringing though.

Hear hear! also there's nothing wrong with 'privilege'... I know and have extended family who are privelged by birth but work damn hard for the money they earn and save (btw I'm not having a go at you - i agree with much of what you have written)

Let's hear from mkap before we make any more assumptions

Mind your own business!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by The_Internet
Oh I just realised that this s a 1 year old thread... and that I have less money than a year ago, but then I was fired for a while so...that explains it lol!

Nice zombie thread bump :wink:

Interesting to look back though. My 'networth' has increased way beyond what I would have predicted..been a great year :smile:
Original post by Reue
Sources of income: Salary, online business & gambling
Networth: About £75k.

For your age you have a very good amount of savings.

Teach me?
Original post by Reue
Nice zombie thread bump :wink:

Interesting to look back though. My 'networth' has increased way beyond what I would have predicted..been a great year :smile:

Well mine's doing considerably better now that I'm working. Around 2K/month up each month which is OK for the north
none :frown: i'm trying to get a part time job so i will start saving if i get one, if I have a lot left over from my student loans after i finish this academic year then ill save some of that. I'm 18
Reply 51
I'm lucky that my parents have been wise and invested some of their savings and my inheritance. Sitting at around £60k but won't be able to access any of it until I'm 18 due to them being sealed in trust funds.
Original post by MattB_
I'm lucky that my parents have been wise and invested some of their savings and my inheritance. Sitting at around £60k but won't be able to access any of it until I'm 18 due to them being sealed in trust funds.

That's really damn good! Tbh..legally I do have a house that was transferred in to my name, but that's more for tax reasons. Technically, I have around 90K + the savings in my bank, but that's a technicality.
Reply 53
That's really damn good! Tbh..legally I do have a house that was transferred in to my name, but that's more for tax reasons. Technically, I have around 90K + the savings in my bank, but that's a technicality.

Technicalities hey :biggrin:. But to be honest in London, where I currently live, this is hardly going to get me anything so it;s going to be up to me to hopefully add to what I've got sooner rather than later
Original post by MattB_
Technicalities hey :biggrin:. But to be honest in London, where I currently live, this is hardly going to get me anything so it;s going to be up to me to hopefully add to what I've got sooner rather than later

Yup. I know I can buy a small house ina couple of years, and a large house in maybe 5. - Just not in London lol!
Well mine's doing considerably better now that I'm working. Around 2K/month up each month which is OK for the north

I wonder how much I'll be earning when I start my motor vehicle apprenticeship next month? :moon:

I currently have just slightly under £5000 in savings but hope to have it at £6000 or higher by the end of May.

In January, it was only between £1400 and £1600 I had in savings.
Original post by The Snowman
I wonder how much I'll be earning when I start my motor vehicle apprenticeship next month? :moon:

I currently have just slightly under £5000 in savings but hope to have it at £6000 or higher by the end of May.

In January, it was only between £1400 and £1600 I had in savings.

Apprentice wage is £3.50/hour? I think?
Apprentice wage is £3.50/hour? I think?

Hmm...... I think you're right. :yep:

Wonder how much on average it'd be if it was a full job in veichle refinishing, not just an apprenticeship? :holmes:

Edit: I just noticed we both share two things in common, both our usernames begin with 'The' and we are both 24 years old! :five: :h:
Original post by The Snowman
Hmm...... I think you're right. :yep:

Wonder how much on average it'd be if it was a full job in veichle refinishing, not just an apprenticeship? :holmes:

Edit: I just noticed we both share two things in common, both our usernames begin with 'The' and we are both 24 years old! :five: :h:

That seems to be around £560/month so far? I think tbh, you ought to get in with larger companies? I mean it does depend on where you are exactly. Up in my town, I think damn the price of fixing my car is so damn cheap. So yeah..avoid poor towns.

And lol, I guess we do!!
£1000 in an ISA
Turming to £2000 by the end of the month though:h:
I am trying to save £6K for driving lessons, car and stupid crazy amount for car insurance:colonhash: under 25 and all that lol. I hope i get a summer time job though so i can speed up the process slighty :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending