The Student Room Group

What do you think of male feminists?

Do you believe men can be feminists? Or since they are not women they can never truly understand and advocate for women's rights? Do they have no right to talk about women's rights as they are men and are only contributing to patriarchal control of feminism?

Scroll to see replies

Men can be feminists because of the definition of a feminist, which is the advocacy of women's rights; this may be paired with egalitarianism, but not necessarily.

Empathy exists. Collectivism adopted by the new, authoritarian, left, makes empathy difficult as they group, and separate, people based on affiliations that are involuntary and do not dictate the mental state of an individual, for example race. Google identity politics, too.

That last sentence made me cringe. In short: no.

(edited 7 years ago)
I don't discriminate against females cos I think all feminists are lunatics 😃
Ofc men can be feminists. Men can advocate gender equality, just like how whites advocated racial equality during the Civil Rights Movement. Just like how I can advocate LGBT issues despite being straight.

I would not date a man that is not a feminist. How can any woman possibly date a man that does not believe in equal treatment of men and women?

If you believe in gender equality, you are a feminist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Men and women alike are both entitled to have their own set of political beliefs. If a man chooses to identify as a feminist, there should be no problem with that.
Most men would be by definition a "feminist", however theyll struggle to use such a label when feminists are so obsessed with empowerment, self superiority, passive aggressiveness against men and belittling the so called "patriarchy" to the point where if a man calls himself a feminist is automatically a cuck.
Original post by morpheus12
Most men would be by definition a "feminist", however theyll struggle to use such a label when feminists are so obsessed with empowerment, self superiority, passive aggressiveness against men and belittling the so called "patriarchy" to the point where if a man calls himself a feminist is automatically a cuck.

Unfortunately, the young, authoritarian leftist "third-wave feminists", have made a mockery of what feminism should be.
Creeps how is that in their interest. I wouldn't be doing anything for a woman .
Reply 8
They are bae
Reply 9
Original post by queenofswords
Ofc men can be feminists. Men can advocate gender equality, just like how whites advocated racial equality during the Civil Rights Movement. Just like how I can advocate LGBT issues despite being straight.

I would not date a man that is not a feminist. How can any woman possibly date a man that does not believe in equal treatment of men and women?

If you believe in gender equality, you are a feminist.

So are you a MRA?
Reply 10
I'm a male and I consider myself to be a feminist- I'm also straight but advocate LGBTQ+ rights. I actually try to actively advocate for anyone who's rights I believe to be being contravened. That said if anybody feels that I cannot advocate for someone because I haven't experienced the suffering or the oppression - then I'm happy to take that onboard.
creepy virgins
Of course men can be feminists, as you do not need to be a member of a group to advocate for equal rights for that group.

Men who are part of the 'feminazi' strain of thought, though, I view with suspicion.
ofc they can be, theres no rule that they cant

Original post by Dante991
creepy virgins

speaking from personal experience?

Original post by Athena64
Do you believe men can be feminists? Or since they are not women they can never truly understand and advocate for women's rights? Do they have no right to talk about women's rights as they are men and are only contributing to patriarchal control of feminism?

what about you OP? :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Traitors
Creepy
Just doing it for the sex
Original post by _gcx
Unfortunately, the young, authoritarian leftist "third-wave feminists", have made a mockery of what feminism should be.

Yes, but im not going to abandon it just yet. There are lots of women in places like the middle east, africa and south asia who deserve a better life, but its a shame women are more fussed about being able to have their tits out in public without being slut shamed.
Original post by Anfanny
Creeps how is that in their interest. I wouldn't be doing anything for a woman .

How DARE they be socially liberal? Jesus :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing christ what the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: has this world come to?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes, but im not going to abandon it just yet. There are lots of women in places like the middle east, africa and south asia who deserve a better life, but its a shame women are more fussed about being able to have their tits out in public without being slut shamed.

I'm not sure your last part is fair...
I think one argument I find worth thinking about is 'why do men not get the same treatment when they walk around shirtless'.
I mean, personally I try not judge people. Why should I get to call some one a slut? why should I get to say that some one is doing something for one motive and not the other.
Original post by Paddy_C
I'm not sure your last part is fair...
I think one argument I find worth thinking about is 'why do men not get the same treatment when they walk around shirtless'.
I mean, personally I try not judge people. Why should I get to call some one a slut? why should I get to say that some one is doing something for one motive and not the other.

Because as a woman, if you want respect, you maintain your modesty. The only sexual part of a man is his dick, whereas a woman's breasts can be sexualised. This is a free country, do what you want by all means, but dont think we wont judge. The only reason why women want their tits out is to tease men, they live off that sexual attention they receive. When they cry about getting judged, they're just crying about people finding out their true motives.
Reply 19
Because as a woman, if you want respect, you maintain your modesty. The only sexual part of a man is his dick, whereas a woman's breasts can be sexualised. This is a free country, do what you want by all means, but dont think we wont judge. The only reason why women want their tits out is to tease men, they live off that sexual attention they receive. When they cry about getting judged, they're just crying about people finding out their true motives.

But...without being the individual who does an act, how do you know what their motives are?

Quick Reply

Latest