The Student Room Group

Can I do a full A'Level in one year?

So long story short:

I'm hating Biology right now. I used to be good in science and really loved it, but now Biology A Level is really ruining it for me. I just can't get the right answers. I study hard, I know the stuff, but then when I get my test back, it's usually a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y D or C, B at best if I can find a couple of marks my teacher missed, simply because I didn't write EXACTLY what was on that stupid mark scheme.

My teacher straight on told us with a poker face "Guys, you'll have to learn Mark Schemes by heart, that's how I passed."

And my mind was just like "What. The. F. Did you just say? What's the point of all this, then? The point of you showing us these amazing animations of how the blood flows through the heart? I could just stay at home and learn those words on that stupid piece of paper called a Mark Scheme and be done with it."

I don't even want to do that. I want to actually learn the things, because swear to God, I really love science, been interested in it since I was a freaking baby, but the way they assess you in those tests, man, they break my heart.

And I wasted one year now on Biology, barely scraping the B as I said before, and that for me is just a big no-no. I could see from the beginning of the year I didn't like the tests, but I was like "It's ok, this is just the beginning, you'll get better."

And I kept on repeating that "You'll get better for months, never really understanding WHEN I would actually get better. And when I realised I wouldn't, it was too late to drop the subject and change it. And I kinda grew fond of my friends and teacher there, I would feel like I'm letting them down.

But now we really started talking about all the hike on University, and it reminded me I really need to do what's best for me now, so I'm dead set on dropping Biology and do another A Level.

Trouble is, I only have one year left in College, and I don't want to stay one more year, so I was wondering if it's possible to do a full A Level in one scholastic year?

I seriously have no idea, I'm planning to talk to my tutor first day I return from the holidays, but that's a week away and I really want an answer now.

I can organise myself and plan the whole year out to incorporate the two years length of the course; heck, I'm even going to offer my summer to start the new course (did I mention that it was Sociology?).

I'm really hoping it's possible and they'll allow me that, otherwise I'd be devastated.

I'm sure Biology would ruin my chances to get into my dream University since I'm getting as an average Cs, while in my other two subjects I'm getting A and Distinction*.

So yeah, waiting patiently from some peeps that know an answer, thanks in advance for everyone that helps me!

P.S: I lied at the beginning, this story was nothing short XD
I tried keeping it short, but I guess all these months' pent-up frustration just came out as a rant here LOL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bravefoot
So long story short:

I'm hating Biology right now. I used to be good in science and really loved it, but now Biology A Level is really ruining it for me. I just can't get the right answers. I study hard, I know the stuff, but then when I get my test back, it's usually a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y D or C, B at best if I can find a couple of marks my teacher missed, simply because I didn't write EXACTLY what was on that stupid mark scheme.

My teacher straight on told us with a poker face "Guys, you'll have to learn Mark Schemes by heart, that's how I passed."

And my mind was just like "What. The. F. Did you just say? What's the point of all this, then? The point of you showing us these amazing animations of how the blood flows through the heart? I could just stay at home and learn those words on that stupid piece of paper called a Mark Scheme and be done with it."

I don't even want to do that. I want to actually learn the things, because swear to God, I really love science, been interested in it since I was a freaking baby, but the way they assess you in those tests, man, they break my heart.

And I wasted one year now on Biology, barely scraping the B as I said before, and that for me is just a big no-no. I could see from the beginning of the year I didn't like the tests, but I was like "It's ok, this is just the beginning, you'll get better."

And I kept on repeating that "You'll get better for months, never really understanding WHEN I would actually get better. And when I realised I wouldn't, it was too late to drop the subject and change it. And I kinda grew fond of my friends and teacher there, I would feel like I'm letting them down.

But now we really started talking about all the hike on University, and it reminded me I really need to do what's best for me now, so I'm dead set on dropping Biology and do another A Level.

Trouble is, I only have one year left in College, and I don't want to stay one more year, so I was wondering if it's possible to do a full A Level in one scholastic year?

I seriously have no idea, I'm planning to talk to my tutor first day I return from the holidays, but that's a week away and I really want an answer now.

I can organise myself and plan the whole year out to incorporate the two years length of the course; heck, I'm even going to offer my summer to start the new course (did I mention that it was Sociology?).

I'm really hoping it's possible and they'll allow me that, otherwise I'd be devastated.

I'm sure Biology would ruin my chances to get into my dream University since I'm getting as an average Cs, while in my other two subjects I'm getting A and Distinction*.

So yeah, waiting patiently from some peeps that know an answer, thanks in advance for everyone that helps me!

I tried keeping it short, but I guess all these months' pent-up frustration just came out as a rant here LOL

It's possible; something like physics ,chemistry, maths, FM are small content wise
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's possible; something like physics ,chemistry, maths, FM are small content wise

Sure there's small content if you'll be doing the subject every day.
Reply 3

So if I asked my Tutor that I want to do Sociology, do you think he would allow me?

No way are chemistry, physics or further maths light on content, they are consistently ranked as the hardest a levels and people average lowest results in them- except FM, because only very able students take it. Other subjects take past papers, practice and a lot of revision to do well in- very time consuming- physics and chem a2 are renowned as most difficult
So long story short:

I'm in a similar situation as you. I hate Biology A-Level. I love learning about how everything works in Biology but the whole system about memorising mark points just put me off. So I started to self teach Further Maths AS, and things are going pretty good. I hope I get AAB in the first year of course (A in Maths A In Chemistry and B in FM).

I'm sure things will work out for you. Although your teachers will give you advice on what to do, make sure you know what's best for you. I felt that I was going to get sabotaged if I stuck with Biology. And I also plan to move to a different sixth form lol. Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by J-ved
I'm in a similar situation as you. I hate Biology A-Level. I love learning about how everything works in Biology but the whole system about memorising mark points just put me off. So I started to self teach Further Maths AS, and things are going pretty good. I hope I get AAB in the first year of course (A in Maths A In Chemistry and B in FM).

I'm sure things will work out for you. Although your teachers will give you advice on what to do, make sure you know what's best for you. I felt that I was going to get sabotaged if I stuck with Biology. And I also plan to move to a different sixth form lol. Best of luck!

Thanks! Your example lifted my spirit :biggrin:
I'll surely talk to my tutor and try my hardest to look determined in doing this of I want to come out with As and above
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
No way are chemistry, physics or further maths light on content, they are consistently ranked as the hardest a levels and people average lowest results in them- except FM, because only very able students take it. Other subjects take past papers, practice and a lot of revision to do well in- very time consuming- physics and chem a2 are renowned as most difficult

IMO, chemistry isn't heavy content-wise - I never said it wasn't difficult. Humanities subjects are heavier on content
Original post by Bulletzone
Sure there's small content if you'll be doing the subject every day.

Just realised, I'm doing modular A Levels, you're probably not, so our circumstances are different.

But generally, a lot of people who do achieve highly study the subject every day.
So if I asked my Tutor that I want to do Sociology, do you think he would allow me?

Probably not, it's something you would likely have to study by yourself. Have you thought about taking a gap year?
Sure it should be possible seen as I'm doing two full a levels in one year
I mean its a gamble!

YOU have to be 100% sure if you can handle the pressure because i have done it and by no means is it easy. The issue is that if you can't get the score u wanted at the end of the year you'll have to sit again and that doesn't usually happens because of the shear depression and disappointment after such hard-work..

I know how you feel.YOU are worried that if you don't wrap this up quickly you'll end up a year or two older than your level of education.I have seen 19-20 year old writing A levels,so please don't do it if this is you reason(which i guess it is).Rather I recommend to sit for the prescribed two years and opt for bio and new subjects along with it if you wish.This would give you a fresh start and not only that it will make you UCAS application more healthy as now you have written a couple more subject which could also enhance your chances for the all important scholarship!

Hope it helps and good luck! :-)
I would recommend either Maths or Further Maths in 1 year; doing it in 1 year is a standard for most students who pick it anyway. A word of warning, whilst most modules are very fun to learn and easy if you like the subject area (e.g. if you love physic you will find M1/M2/M3 modules to be very easy), you will still end up "learning from the mark schemes" as maths exams are just copied and pasted year after year with small variations in the question types
Reply 13
So long story short:

Anyone can take an 'A level' as an external exam participant...

Study/cram etc - if someone wants a good result, then with input, they will get it...
IMO, chemistry isn't heavy content-wise - I never said it wasn't difficult. Humanities subjects are heavier on content

Youre not doing linear A levels are you?
So you dont know about the two year content in one year- in chemistry that is a lot, especially organics- if he/she was going to take an a level in one year why would he do the most notoriously difficult ones ( statistically proven that STEM a levels are harder than non stem on average
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/official-some-a-level-subjects-are-harder-than-others-857643.html
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/jul/01/schools.alevels)
I would suggest sociology or something maybe more content heavy but easier to understand and much more recall based.
Ignore people who are suggesting chemistry/maths any sciences. They are alot more difficult that biology and definitely will be harder to learn in one year. Sociology is a relatively easy a-level, especially in comparison to biology. If you can try to learn AS over the summer, then join the A2 lessons at your school from september, that would make things alot easier, then recap as as you go along.
Science subjects are way less work compared to essay subjects although if you have trouble getting the right answers then essay subjects might be better as there is no objective right answer. Thing is with essay subjects is that I find the more you do of that subject, the more you come to loath it. Doing an entire essay a-level in one year sounds like absolute hell. Sciences are more about just been good at doing the questions and biology is the most content heavy in terms of words I'm fairly sure. The more you do maths, chemistry or physics papers, the better you get at them and the more you understand. It's easy to find areas you need to improve and practice. I'm finding with my english as that one minute I can write a really good and through essay but then when I get put in time limit I write simplistic rambling. I'm dropping english anyway thank god and doing all further maths next year which I'm really looking forward to. No more essays just endless past papers.
Original post by bex.anne
Ignore people who are suggesting chemistry/maths any sciences. They are alot more difficult that biology and definitely will be harder to learn in one year. Sociology is a relatively easy a-level, especially in comparison to biology. If you can try to learn AS over the summer, then join the A2 lessons at your school from september, that would make things alot easier, then recap as as you go along.

Maths would be far easier than taking an essay subject which requires a lot of outside guidance ( marking essays, giving feedback ect),
Original post by HopelessMedic
Maths would be far easier than taking an essay subject which requires a lot of outside guidance ( marking essays, giving feedback ect),

To get a good grade in maths is alot more difficult than to get a good grade in a humanities subject. It will require alot of practise and teaching and understanding, where as humanities are just memorising. Also, if OP hasnt done maths in a year, and we don't know if she even likes maths or got an A in gcse maths which without would struggle with alevel maths, so it's not really a wise idea. From someone who does a combination of sciences and humanities, the sciences are alot more difficult and time consuming and I would much prefer to be doing a humanities subject in one year than a science.
People here are seriously arguing that humanities are more difficult than STEM, come on?

Quick Reply

Latest