How good is my running?

Watch
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I have been running for about 6 months now. I started off doing 1KM runs on my back field. I then moved up to doing 1KM- 1 mile on the treadmill. I am now doing basically 2 miles every week.

The furthest I have run is 5.5K in 32 minuets. The fastest I have done 2 miles in 14 minuets. I have just got back from holiday and I have not run in 2 weeks. I did 1.92 miles to be precise in 14:40.

Is this good? I am 14 years old, 6 foot 1, slim, I weigh 9.5 stone. (60KG)

I haven't done a bleep test, any idea what I might get? I am looking to join the police when I am older so that is my main motivation for running.

Alex
Elizzey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya, what do you class as 'good' at running? I am a 15 year old competitive Cross Country/Track & Field athlete so my views on what is good may be different to yours. 32 minutes for 5.5k is an above average time and yes I would say that is very good for a 14 year old. Standards are different for boys and girls though so it can depend. Since you said you are looking to join the police force I think that you are doing very well fitness wise and I'd recommend you keep working on your longer distance runs. I don't know how you work on decreasing your times but if you want, I can recommend plenty of different running workouts as have done many myself over the last 3 years. xD

Try looking up at the websites 'The Power of 10' and 'Run Britain Rankings'. All registered athletes have a page on there where you can see their PBs and Event times/positions.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results...date=17-Oct-15
http://www.runbritainrankings.com/re...date=19-Sep-15

^^ These are links to some of the races I have attended, and on that you can see times many other runners got from different age groups. (People your age will be Under 15M/W)

Hope this has helped.

Elise.
qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Elizzey)
Hiya, what do you class as 'good' at running? I am a 15 year old competitive Cross Country/Track & Field athlete so my views on what is good may be different to yours. 32 minutes for 5.5k is an above average time and yes I would say that is very good for a 14 year old. Standards are different for boys and girls though so it can depend. Since you said you are looking to join the police force I think that you are doing very well fitness wise and I'd recommend you keep working on your longer distance runs. I don't know how you work on decreasing your times but if you want, I can recommend plenty of different running workouts as have done many myself over the last 3 years. xD

Try looking up at the websites 'The Power of 10' and 'Run Britain Rankings'. All registered athletes have a page on there where you can see their PBs and Event times/positions.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results...date=17-Oct-15
http://www.runbritainrankings.com/re...date=19-Sep-15

^^ These are links to some of the races I have attended, and on that you can see times many other runners got from different age groups. (People your age will be Under 15M/W)

Hope this has helped.

Elise.
Thank you very much. It has helped very much in fact. I wasn't actually aware I did a 5.5K until I finished, I thought it was just a 5K lol. I've only done one but I am looking to do another one. Do you think I should be aiming for distance or time, because I think I am doing well for time on my 2 mile but I am struggling to always do a 5K. When I say a good runner, I mean someone who is able to cover a reasonable distance i.e 2-3 miles in a reasonable time 14-25 minuets etc.
Elizzey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would work on improving your distance because if you do that, time improvements will come with it. When I train I don't run straight up 2k/5k. Work on running shorter distances, but do multiple sets, or mix up between slow jog and fast jog. This will help with endurance. Once you have that endurance for a 5k, you'll find that with all the training you do, times for 3k etc will get faster.
Running start
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wow Alex your pretty fast. I can run 50k in one to two hours.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by qwertyK)
I haven't done a bleep test, any idea what I might get? I am looking to join the police when I am older so that is my main motivation for running.

Alex
You can't compare running in a straight line/on a treadmill to the bleep test; they don't take into account the increase in speed required over the stages and the turns.

There are apps you can download for doing the bleep test.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
61.18%
No (66)
38.82%

Watched Threads