The Student Room Group

National 5 French 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lewis H01
I think I got that too, the 1st and 3rd box?

Yes
Reply 41
Original post by ___Sophie___
There were a couple of possibilities. I got the landscape was impressive.

I wrote because of the scottish peoples accents, scencery,places to go,people their. Would i get any marks for any of this? I made it all up lol
Reply 42
i thought that was alright
i had prepared for those extra bullet points, and the reading was pretty easy

i didn't like the listening paper, but it's definitely not bad enough to stop me from getting an A, considering that my class all got 30/30 in the speaking part
Original post by Aaaaa01
I wrote because of the scottish peoples accents, scencery,places to go,people their. Would i get any marks for any of this? I made it all up lol

You may get a mark for scenery or it might require that the scenery was impressive. One of the answers did mention people but I'm not sure what it was about them. So I'm not too sure.
Original post by SSJBlue
Writing was fine, got the extra bullet points no problem, translating the articles was a little harder and listening was haaaard. I barley got any answers for item 1 and i think they're wrong. Item 2 the question that stumped me was "What did she not like about the school" and I heard something about a sandwich? Idk

I put that she didn't like the canteen (something about 'equilibre'- I interpreted that as 'not good for her wellbeing' or something but I doubt that it was correct) and lunch was too short/she only had time to eat a sandwich?
She didn't like the canteen because there wasn't much choice and the meals weren't balanced
Reply 46
Original post by andrewsturgeon
She didn't like the canteen because there wasn't much choice and the meals weren't balanced

I got that too..
20160513_210649.jpg

Hi. Due to the fact you've been successful in National 5 French (many congratulations btw)

What advice can you offer for someone like me who wants to get the best possible mark in writing? What's the best way to prepare for the unpredictable bullet points?

Thanks
Reply 48
Original post by _Matthew01_
Hi. Due to the fact you've been successful in National 5 French (many congratulations btw)

What advice can you offer for someone like me who wants to get the best possible mark in writing? What's the best way to prepare for the unpredictable bullet points?

Thanks

I know you didn't ask me but I got an A1 and 20/20 in my writing last year so I thought I'd help you since you as it seems you need some :smile:!

I went about it by learning a couple of bullet point which had the possibility to be moulded to the suitability of the question.

Bare in mind, the marker knows this is hardest part of the writing; and as the marking scheme states - you won't be deemed to fail if you make a few grammatical errors. I am sure you can make a few mistakes and still get 20/20. Also, the unseen bullet points don't need to be anywhere near as long as your other ones. I'd say absolute max. is 4/5 sentences.

If I were you just go through the past papers and make a 'question bank' and make a few bullet points which are easily morphable and get your teacher to check for grammar etc.

Best of luck

Thanks

Thank you :smile:

I think there are 2 ways to succeed in national 5 writing:

1. Memorize as much as you can i.e. if you use the picture of the unpredictable bullet points I posted then make sure you have phrases memorised which apply to each one... if you need any phrases let me know and I will try to find my national 5 work
Obviously make sure that you know the predictable bullet points well because this will save time in the exam

Or

2. Make sure that you have a level of French which is good enough to allow you to (accurately) make things up on the spot, so make sure that your grammar is perfect and make sure you have a good knowledge of vocabulary as you can't be sitting there looking up almost everything in the dictionary

The 2nd method works best in my opinion (especially if you go and take higher) but the majority of national 5 students who do well will just memorise phrases as they don't have the level of French required to make everything up off the top of their head and get top marks but if you do then that's great.

People who don't do well in their writing are the ones who rely too much on their dictionary because often in French you can't translate a sentence from English in a literal way

If I think of anything else I'll let you know :smile:
Original post by leoq8
I know you didn't ask me but I got an A1 and 20/20 in my writing last year so I thought I'd help you since you as it seems you need some :smile:!

I went about it by learning a couple of bullet point which had the possibility to be moulded to the suitability of the question.

Bare in mind, the marker knows this is hardest part of the writing; and as the marking scheme states - you won't be deemed to fail if you make a few grammatical errors. I am sure you can make a few mistakes and still get 20/20. Also, the unseen bullet points don't need to be anywhere near as long as your other ones. I'd say absolute max. is 4/5 sentences.

If I were you just go through the past papers and make a 'question bank' and make a few bullet points which are easily morphable and get your teacher to check for grammar etc.

Best of luck

4/5 sentences is probably too much for national 5... the entire writing is to be approximately 120-150 words so if there are 6 bullet points then you probably only need like 30/40 words per bullet point?
4/5 sentences is probably too much for national 5... the entire writing is to be approximately 120-150 words so if there are 6 bullet points then you probably only need like 30/40 words per bullet point?

In instances where it says something like "View on modern technology", how would I come up with morphable phrases should it come up with a bullet point like "View on..."? Should I just learn phrases such as "I think it's bad" or "I think it's good because..."?

Also, thank you for your reply ☺️
Original post by leoq8

Best of luck

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

Is there a high chance that bullet points will resemble perhaps slightly the ones from previous years?
Reply 53

Yeah, that is what I mean, 4/5 sentences maximum. Ideally, it's like 2/3 for unseen anyways.
Reply 54
Hi! Thank you for your reply.

Is there a high chance that bullet points will resemble perhaps slightly the ones from previous years?

Yeah, obviously they aren't going to give you the exact same ones as last year, or maybe even the year before - but they will definitely be relevant and along the same lines.

What skills you learned, your availability, where you will be living - stuff like that if I remember correctly.
Original post by leoq8
Yeah, obviously they aren't going to give you the exact same ones as last year, or maybe even the year before - but they will definitely be relevant and along the same lines.

What skills you learned, your availability, where you will be living - stuff like that if I remember correctly.

I'll just learn all of the phrases I've written down tonight regardless of whether or not they've ever appeared or not. Better safe than sorry eh?

I'll see how I do. Thank you so much for taking time out to help me today.
Reply 56
I'll just learn all of the phrases I've written down tonight regardless of whether or not they've ever appeared or not. Better safe than sorry eh?

I'll see how I do. Thank you so much for taking time out to help me today.

Very true.

Np mate; good luck in your exams :smile:
In instances where it says something like "View on modern technology", how would I come up with morphable phrases should it come up with a bullet point like "View on..."? Should I just learn phrases such as "I think it's bad" or "I think it's good because..."?

Also, thank you for your reply ☺️

Yeah you need to make sure your sentences are developed. So don't just state an opinion, you need to give reasons to back up this opinion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending