The Student Room Group

Christianity gender inequality

Does anyone have any quotes from the bible which support gender inequality between male and females? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Habina786xx
Does anyone have any quotes from the bible which support gender inequality between male and females? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know of plenty that promote equality for example when Jesus had risen from the grave two women where told first, how amazing is that!
None lol.
Reply 3
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
None lol.

Yeah I found one "women should stay silent in churches" so basically it's disgraceful for women to talk in places of worship. That quote was said by st Paul. Treatment of in injustice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Racoon
I know of plenty that promote equality for example when Jesus had risen from the grave two women where told first, how amazing is that!

Yeah I wrote "love thy neighbour"
So respecting everyone around you regardless the gender. Therefore , we are equal and should love everyone like Jesus loved us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to enquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

St. Paul. 1 Corinthians 14:34-35
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Twinpeaks
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to enquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

Should I go on? Ignoring sexism and Christianity is to ignore a great deal of our history. But yeah think what you like.

Thank you! Sorry it was for my piece of RE work to write about gender inequality between Muslims and Christians! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! Sorry it was for my piece of RE work to write about gender inequality between Muslims and Christians! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay! :smile:
If I find anything else I'll let you know.
Reply 8
Oh okay! :smile:
If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Thank you for your contribution:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference being that it doesn't really apply nowadays in Christianity. Of course I can speak as much as I want, when appropriate, in church without deferring to any man!
In fact Christian women on the whole do not ever defer to a man whereas I believe it's more common in Islam
Almost all major religions have some degree of gender inequality, Christianity included.

I believe that in Catholicism, women are not allowed to hold positions such as priest, bishop, archbishop and Pope? They certainly have been prevented from doing so historically.

Of course, Eve was the one to bite the apple. She was also formed from Adam's rib, allegedly.

Throughout the Bible, there are far more males than females- particularly in significant roles. Jesus and his disciples were all male. There were ten Patriarchal Fathers- no women. It goes on.

You'll have no problem finding examples for your work on Islam.
Original post by Cognition!
Almost all major religions have some degree of gender inequality, Christianity included.

I believe that in Catholicism, women are not allowed to hold positions such as priest, bishop, archbishop and Pope? They certainly have been prevented from doing so historically.

Of course, Eve was the one to bite the apple. She was also formed from Adam's rib, allegedly.

Throughout the Bible, there are far more males than females- particularly in significant roles. Jesus and his disciples were all male. There were ten Patriarchal Fathers- no women. It goes on.

You're right. I'm not catholic so don't see much.
The 12 were men. It there is also significant importance for women, i.e. Mary Magdalene.
Original post by Cognition!

,She will have no problem finding example on christianity either. don't act all innocent, when both Islam and Christiantiy have very similar takes on women, yet a few can be justified to some extent
Original post by Sammylou40
The difference being that it doesn't really apply nowadays in Christianity. Of course I can speak as much as I want, when appropriate, in church without deferring to any man!
In fact Christian women on the whole do not ever defer to a man whereas I believe it's more common in Islam

I don't think it is at all, since muslim women are now in uni, working and taking up very modern careers. They have many rights, it's a shame that political leaders take such extreme views towards them
Original post by YouMeAt6
,She will have no problem finding example on christianity either. don't act all innocent, when both Islam and Christiantiy have very similar takes on women, yet a few can be justified to some extent

No they don't. Christianity is a progressive left-wing religion which created a set of circumstances which allowed feminism to flourish by fact of the degree to which it elevates the meek and submissive whereas Islam is a conservative right religion based upon social order and rigorous hierarchy.

Jesus' followers were poor people and prostitutes and Christians are taught to see them as the victim of circumstance, this is not tolerated in Islam.
1 Corinthians 11

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

1 Timothy chapter 2

I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here are quotes that support gender equality.

God Himself elevated the status of women forever when He chose to send His own Son, Jesus Christ, to be born of a virgin. The words and actions of Jesus underscored His elevated opinion of women, as did the early church that was established in His name following His return to heaven:

His first miracle was performed in response to a plea from His mother (John 2:1-11).

His first revelation of Himself as Messiah was to a woman (John 4:25- 26).

His greatest miracle was performed at the request of two women (John 11:1-44).

His death was memorialized by a woman (John 12:1-8).

Women were included in His expanded group of disciples (Mark 15:41).

Women stayed with Him throughout His crucifixion, even after the men had left (Matthew 27:55-56).

Women observed His burial (Matthew 27:61).

Following His resurrection, He appeared first to a woman (John 20:1- 16).

He commissioned women as the very first evangelists (Matthew 28:1- 10; John 20:17).

Women were included in the group of disciples who met daily for prayer after the ascension of Jesus (Acts 1:14).

Ancient prophecy was fulfilled when the Spirit of God was given equally to men and women at Pentecost (Acts 2:17).

Women were among the very first “believers” or “Christians” who made up the early church (Acts 5:14; Acts 8:12; 17:4, 12).

The first church in Europe was begun with a group of women and actually met in the home of a woman (Acts 16:13-15).

The early church was staffed by many women (Romans 16:12, Philippians 4:3).

At least one early church was co-led by a woman (1 Corinthians 16:19).

The very fact that the Bible goes out of its way to carefully record all of the above reveals the intentionality of God’s purpose to reestablish the position of women to that of equality with men. His Son, Jesus Christ, not only bridged the gap between God and man through His death on the Cross that made atonement for man’s sin, He removed all barriers including that of gender, race, and nationality. This was confirmed by the apostle Paul when he stated, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ then you are . . . heirs according to the promise” (Galatians 3:28-29).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You should always consider the context when getting a verse. It's easy to find verses that align with your views without truly knowing the message or the context it was written in.

When Paul wrote to the Corinthians that it was shameful for women to "speak" in Church, he was not referring to prophesying, praying or testifying (1 Cor 14:34, 35). The Corinthian women were interrupting the speakers in the Church asking questions. Paul felt it was not decent and orderly. Therefore he suggested that the wives clear their doubts by discussing with their husbands at home (v 40).

The concern of 1 Corinthians 14 is the orderly assembly of the congregation. The church of Corinth was noted for the chaos and lack of order rampant in that assembly (verse 33). Everyone in the church service was participating with whatever expression they desired, whenever they desired, as loudly as they desired.

The meetings were characterized by chaos, and no one was being edified or instructed (see verses 5, 12, and 19). To remedy this problem, Paul instructs a number of people/groups to “be quiet” at certain times and under certain conditions:

First, the command for women to remain silent seems to deal with two important issues: proper order in the church and proper demonstration or acknowledgment of authority. Apparently, some women were speaking out in a way that did not acknowledge the spiritual authority of either their husbands or church leaders. This issue is addressed in 1 Corinthians 11 as well. Women are allowed to pray and prophesy, as long as they have their heads covered to show proper respect for spiritual authority. (In the first century, the head covering was the sign of a chaste, respectful woman, so women in the church were not to cast it off; to do so was to convey insolence or impropriety, according to the contemporary culture.
Original post by XOR_
1 Corinthians 11

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

1 Timothy chapter 2

I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.

It's as if Christianity teaches men they have a moral duty towards the protection and care of women, which might be behind the current trend of third wave feminists feeling they have a moral right to appropriate the wealth and resources of men. :yawn:

Contrast this with Islam which clearly defines the duties and responsibilities within marriage.
Original post by l'etranger
No they don't. Christianity is a progressive left-wing religion which created a set of circumstances which allowed feminism to flourish by fact of the degree to which it elevates the meek and submissive whereas Islam is a conservative right religion based upon social order and rigorous hierarchy.

Jesus' followers were poor people and prostitutes and Christians are taught to see them as the victim of circumstance, this is not tolerated in Islam.

Do you realize how many poor people, prostitutes, alcoholics and killers came to the prophet (pbuh) for guidance? this is tolerated in Islam. Islam has also been very progressive in response to the politically enfocred side of it. Hence why you see so many peaceful muslims around you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending