The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am doing Higher Sociology this year, though it wasn't my first choice XD

I have my assignment done and ready to send. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a few questions. My teacher said the 20 mark essay could come up in either the Social Issues section but pertaining to Education or Culture and Identity. Has anyone's teachers given exemplary 20 mark questions for the Culture and Identity section?? It is urgent
Reply 3
Original post by sofiaghani
I have a few questions. My teacher said the 20 mark essay could come up in either the Social Issues section but pertaining to Education or Culture and Identity. Has anyone's teachers given exemplary 20 mark questions for the Culture and Identity section?? It is urgent

No sorry, I thought the 20 mark question was only coming up in the Social issues section?
Original post by tieza
No sorry, I thought the 20 mark question was only coming up in the Social issues section?

My teacher said that it could come up in any of the sections but most likely the CI section and the Social Issues section
Reply 5
My teacher said that it could come up in any of the sections but most likely the CI section and the Social Issues section

Hmm i'm really not sure sorry! my teacher said the past few years it's been in the social issues section but it's hard to say for definite as there is limited past papers :/
Original post by tieza
Hmm i'm really not sure sorry! my teacher said the past few years it's been in the social issues section but it's hard to say for definite as there is limited past papers :/

My teacher also said that she would be surprised if another social mobility question came up in the Social Issues section so revising 3 education studies would be beneficial just in case. Similarly, revising 3 Culture and Identity studies would also help. Just get the key features and evaluation down and 1 piece of methodology used by the researcher.

How did you teacher teach you to format essays?
Reply 7
My teacher also said that she would be surprised if another social mobility question came up in the Social Issues section so revising 3 education studies would be beneficial just in case. Similarly, revising 3 Culture and Identity studies would also help. Just get the key features and evaluation down and 1 piece of methodology used by the researcher.

How did you teacher teach you to format essays?

Yeah that's a good point, best to be safe than panic on the day of the exam! Our teacher gave us this for the 20 mark question in terms of class stratification http://i.imgur.com/vFyphlF.png excuse the red lines lol.
Describe two key features of the functionalist perspective on class and stratification (4)

How would you answer this?

Also, for describe questions do you leave out examples and for explain questions you use examples?
Reply 9
Describe two key features of the functionalist perspective on class and stratification (4)

How would you answer this?

Also, for describe questions do you leave out examples and for explain questions you use examples?

I would talk about how functionalists see stratification as being inevitable and essential for a functioning society, that there is social mobility, and possibly talk about davis and moore and role allocation.

Good luck tommorow guys! I am so scared lol
Reply 10
Please help!! Could anyone send any 20 and 12 mark essays they've done just for reference? My teacher has been off :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by NatDx
Please help!! Could anyone send any 20 and 12 mark essays they've done just for reference? My teacher has been off :frown:
sorry I don't have any we didn't really practice doing them, just going to wing it on the day
Reply 12
Original post by tieza
sorry I don't have any we didn't really practice doing them, just going to wing it on the day

I think I will have to as well. I need an A in this and it's making me so nervous because I just feel unprepared...
Reply 13
how did you guys find it?
Reply 14
My class thought it was awful, but I thought it was okay! What does everyone else think of it? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Nalle
My class thought it was awful, but I thought it was okay! What does everyone else think of it? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall I thought it was okay, apart from the 20 mark question, the age bit totally threw me off :/ don't know if I even got 10 marks lol
Reply 16
Ahhh I am glad you found most of it okay! >.< Fingers crossed we all get a good grade.

The 20 mark question was difficult, but thankfully the teacher gave us a variety of model answers for the Culture and Identity section, one of them being relevant to the question we got in the exam and I was able to study it before the exam :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Nalle
Ahhh I am glad you found most of it okay! >.< Fingers crossed we all get a good grade.

The 20 mark question was difficult, but thankfully the teacher gave us a variety of model answers for the Culture and Identity section, one of them being relevant to the question we got in the exam and I was able to study it before the exam :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, this is a reach since there is a good chance you have binned these notes. But is there any way you could post these example answers bc I have been looking everywhere on how to answer 20 marker to get full marks. Tysm if you can, I want to learn now before the Easter holidays are over x
Sorry to jump in on this, I was on looking for help with studying for higher sociology and seen this. Would really helpful to see these examples.Don’t know if this might help you also. I had a look on the SQA understanding standards website and they have answers candidates gave in 2015 exam. There are markers comments with a breakdown on what they were given points wise for the answers and why points were awarded. I found it quite helpful. Good luck
Sorry to jump in on this, I was on looking for help with studying for higher sociology and seen this. Would really helpful to see these examples.Don’t know if this might help you also. I had a look on the SQA understanding standards website and they have answers candidates gave in 2015 exam. There are markers comments with a breakdown on what they were given points wise for the answers and why points were awarded. I found it quite helpful. Good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending