The Student Room Group

Do we need to revise the Pre Release topic or not??? HELP GUYS

Hi
i am studying Edexcel A2 Geography, and the pre release is bridging the development gap.
Would i need to revise the general development gap topic( content, theory, general case studies) or not?

any help apprieciated. Thank you!
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Student5365968
Hi
i am studying Edexcel A2 Geography, and the pre release is bridging the development gap.
Would i need to revise the general development gap topic( content, theory, general case studies) or not?

any help apprieciated. Thank you!
:smile:

Of course you would. It's worth nearly half of your unit 3 grade. You will get given the pre-release booklet in the exam, but how are you supposed to answer the questions if you don't revise the subject as a whole?
Original post by Amefish
Of course you would. It's worth nearly half of your unit 3 grade. You will get given the pre-release booklet in the exam, but how are you supposed to answer the questions if you don't revise the subject as a whole?

I can only partly agree with this.

Much of the Development Gap topic will be irrelevant to the pre-release we have been given. If you look at the specification/book, you will see that a large proportion of this topic is case studies e.g Global TNC players, Castes, Megacity case studies such as Dhaka, Apartheid, Ecuador case study, China pollution, China in Africa...

All of which are mostly irrelevant to this pre-release. The content which is relevant may include theories, measures of development and strategies. However there is a lot of overlap with Superpowers.

My teachers have issued us with a booklet of work to complete in order to prepare for Unit 3 Section B which relates the relevant development gap topics to the pre-release. It has been recommended that we do not spend time revising the whole topic. Although revision of the relevant sections would be necessary - use the pre-release as a guide.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by harryleavey

Much of the Development Gap topic will be irrelevant to the pre-release we have been given. If you look at the specification/book, you will see that a large proportion of this topic is case studies e.g Global TNC players, Castes, Megacity case studies such as Dhaka, Apartheid, Ecuador case study, China pollution, China in Africa...

All of which are mostly irrelevant to this pre-release. The content which is relevant may include theories, measures of development and strategies. However there is a lot of overlap with Superpowers.

My teachers have issued us with a booklet of work to complete in order to prepare for Unit 3 Section B which relates the relevant development gap topics to the pre-release. It has been recommended that we do not spend time revising the whole topic.

Yeah, well obviously don't revise the irrelevant case studies. My bad, in my class we only studied the case studies relevant to the pre-release, but other schools/colleges would've done bridging the development gap a lot earlier on :smile:

My teachers have issued us with a booklet of work to complete in order to prepare for Unit 3 Section B which relates the relevant development gap topics to the pre-release. It has been recommended that we do not spend time revising the whole topic. Although revision of the relevant sections would be necessary - use the pre-release as a guide.

Thank you for the response.

The general case studies i have is uganda development, sri lanka development, shall i not revise these then?

What will you be revising from development gap then? Just the theory eg development theories, key players in development, theories to reduce development gap? And not revise megacities etc as these are not relevant to pre release?

Any other help appreciated. thank you :smile:
Original post by Amefish
Yeah, well obviously don't revise the irrelevant case studies. My bad, in my class we only studied the case studies relevant to the pre-release, but other schools/colleges would've done bridging the development gap a lot earlier on :smile:

Yeah, my college did Development Gap earlier on too - where we studied everything.

Now, we have been given a pre-release workbook which is more specific.

Did you not study the whole topic earlier on then?
Original post by Amefish

Thank you for response. What case studies will you be revising then? What content of the general bridging development gap will you be revising then, and what won't you be revising?
Yeah, my college did Development Gap earlier on too - where we studied everything.

Thanks for adding to the discussion :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on revising for the general development gap topic? what won't you be revising, and which case studies?
Will be of great help. Thank you :smile:
Reply 8

No - we've not even finished it, nor have we finished superpowers. We're a bit behind because we spent waaaay too much time on energy and water :redface:

Thank you for response. What case studies will you be revising then? What content of the general bridging development gap will you be revising then, and what won't you be revising?

I can't give you exact pointers atm, it's definitely better to get advice off @harryleavey at the minute because I'm focusing on my AS resits (I got a C last year :frown:) which are less than a month away, so I'm pushing unit 3 away for a bit :smile:
Thank you for the response.

The general case studies i have is uganda development, sri lanka development, shall i not revise these then?

What will you be revising from development gap then? Just the theory eg development theories, key players in development, theories to reduce development gap? And not revise megacities etc as these are not relevant to pre release?

Any other help appreciated. thank you :smile:

I doubt those case studies will be relevant.

My teachers issued a booklet with specific content relating to the pre-release. Which includes:
- Analysis and Explanation of the Figures in the pre-release
- Comparison of the indicators of economic, social and political development in each of the 3 countries
- Comparing level of development to rest of the world
- Factors contributing to development in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Factors limiting development in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Consequences of development and development gap in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Strengths and Weaknesses of the different measures of development
- Strategies to facilitate development in each country (e.g remittances, MDGs, Ecotourism, Canal Expansion Project, Transoceanic Railway...)
- Sustainability of each strategy (Using pillars of sustainability)
- The role/views of the key players in development of the 3 countries
- Models used to explain development (Development cable, Rostow, Frank, Mydals, Wallerstein)
- Synoptic links to other topics
Thanks for adding to the discussion :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on revising for the general development gap topic? what won't you be revising, and which case studies?
Will be of great help. Thank you :smile:

You don't need case studies - Your case studies are provided to you in the pre-release. Although, you may wish to research them in further detail.

Revise/Do all of this, then you should be well prepared:
- Comparison of the indicators of economic, social and political development in each of the 3 countries
- Factors contributing to development in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Factors limiting development in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Consequences of development and development gap in each of the 3 countries (economic, social, political and environmental)
- Strategies to facilitate development in each country (e.g remittances, MDGs, Ecotourism, Canal Expansion Project, Transoceanic Railway...)
- Models used to explain development (Development cable, Rostow, Frank, Mydals, Wallerstein)
Original post by Amefish
No - we've not even finished it, nor have we finished superpowers. We're a bit behind because we spent waaaay too much time on energy and water :redface:

I can't give you exact pointers atm, it's definitely better to get advice off @harryleavey at the minute because I'm focusing on my AS resits (I got a C last year :frown:) which are less than a month away, so I'm pushing unit 3 away for a bit :smile:

Oh right - I'm sure you will be fine with it. The later your class takes to do the topic, the 'fresher' it will be for the exam, I guess...??
I doubt those case studies will be relevant.

My teachers issued a booklet with specific content relating to the pre-release. Which includes:

Thank you. I see what you've been given, and i have also been given a few booklets aswell to do over easter, on the pre release.
i have literally just printed my bridging the development gap flashcards to revise, so just general content, theories etc out the textbook? Here they are if you wish to look.
http://www.cram.com/flashcards/bridginig-the-development-gap-8326681

Should i revise the general topic? Will it help me answer questions on the pre release or no? what will you be doing? i'm so stuck, what should i do? Thanks you for help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending